Start by marking “Moonshine (Cal Leandros #2)” as Want to Read:
Moonshine (Cal Leandros #2)

Moonshine (Cal Leandros #2)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  5,726 Ratings  ·  234 Reviews
After saving the world from his fiendish father's side of the family, Cal Leandros and his stalwart half-brother Niko have settled down with new digs and a new gig-bodyguard and detective work. And in New York City, where preternatural beings stalk the streets just like normal folk, business is good. Their latest case has them going undercover for the Kin-the werewolf Mafi ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 338 pages
Published March 6th 2007 by Roc (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Moonshine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moonshine

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
After more than a year away from reading Nightlife, I thought my love for this series would be a fluke. I'd read the second book, and the thrill would be gone. Not even close. What a fantastic world Ms. Thurman has created. I don't know how she managed to bring two characters to life that I love so much.

Cal has really come into his own. He's still a major smart-aleck, with some self-hate issues, but he's even more lethal as a warrior, incredibly strong-minded, and fiendishly clever, although so
Nicole
Feb 23, 2016 Nicole rated it really liked it
Maria

You can see the following review also here: http://loveandlivetoread.wordpress.co...

I knew that this series would be my new favorite urban fantasy since when I read the first book. The second one just proves me right! Dark, with non-stop action and sarcastic, this series is a lesson of how to write a great urban fantasy book!

Cal and Niko are trying to start over and with the help of Promise they are doing jobs as bodyguards / detectives for supernatural creatures. Of course, Robin Goodfellow is
Summer Ann
I'm finally starting to feel better today, but I have to catch up on homework so this review won't be much either. I liked it as much as the first, even though there were parts where it seemed to lag a bit. The brothers more than made up for it though. I need more Niko however. I'm not one of those people who have hang-ups about first-person at all. But I do have to say I kinda wish there would be a chapter or two in Niko's point of view. He's just always so mysterious seen through Cal's eyes. P ...more
Ami
Tina
Sep 05, 2009 Tina rated it really liked it
Second installment of Cal and Nik Leandros' series.

After successfully negating the threat of Cal's other family (the evil, death mongering elves known as The Auphe) and killing the entity that possessed Cal in the previous book, the brothers decide to remain in NY. To their surprise, after having been on the run and having only each other for so many years, they have created bonds.

First there is Promise, the lovely vampire who has awakened romantic feelings in the normally impassive Nik.

Then the
Kelli Lee
Apr 01, 2011 Kelli Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
In Moonshine, Cal delves deeper into the unchartered realm of his romantic feelings for seer Georgia. She has his heart. So it is gut-wrenching for Cal when she is kidnapped and he - along with his team of Nik, Promise, and Robin - must rescue her. This is a driving force, fueling him to come to terms with his emotions, not wanting to hold back, to finally, finally express his love for her. Does that happen? You’ll just have to read for yourself.

Moonshine is swimming with werewolves. I am not a
Amanda
May 08, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
Moonshine, the second book in Thurman's series, is most definitely an improvement on the first book. My issue with Nightlife was that the story was fantastic, but the storytelling wasn't. The storytelling in Moonshine was a huge improvement, it wasn't excellent, but it was much better than the first book. My only big problem was with the filler pages that dragged on and on. There were too many super slow spots for my liking.

As for the story itself, I really enjoyed it. The whole gangster/hostag
Jason
Feb 16, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2015
4 Stars

Moonshine, book two in the Cal Leandros series does not suffer from being the sophomore outing. It does not live up to the excitement of all the first discoveries of book one, but it does a better job at further fleshing out our heroes.

Thurman has created an Urban Fantasy world with every type of creature imaginable and dropped them into a Dark and mysterious world. The brothers Cal and Nikos are even better in this Werewolf centric story. Back again is Nikos gorgeous vampire girlfriend
Kati
Oct 28, 2015 Kati rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: the fans of the TV show Supernatural
Another great installment in this series by Rob Thurman (who is actually a woman!). In this book, the characters of Niko and Cal are devoleped a bit more, though some of the other characters - like for example Georgina or Promise - stay rather two-dimensional. But I'm into these books for the relationship between the brothers and because of Robin Goodfellows, the puck, so I didn't mind much.

This book starts rather slow, but then it builds momentum and the last third of the book is an adrenaline
Claire
Jul 27, 2013 Claire rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I loved Moonshine just as much as Nightlife, perhaps even more. Unlike the slow start to Nightlife, Moonshine jumps right into the plot, which I appreciated. There were some more serious plot twists, which I can't talk about without major spoilers. The brothers Leandros are as kick-ass as ever. In just two books I've become attached to the characters. Thurman has done an excellent job of making Cal, Niko, and their friends feel like real people. It invested me in their story and kept me on the e ...more
Schnaucl
Sep 27, 2007 Schnaucl rated it really liked it
I liked this book. However, I like Promise but George really doesn't do anything for me. I know she's supposed to be really wise but she comes off like a sweetness and light child which makes Cal's interest in her kind of creepy. He's immature but in an oddly more adult way.

I continue to love Niko and Goodfellow.

I'm very glad the focus is still on the relationship between Niko and Caliban. I'm not crazy about Promise or George being elevated to the same status.
Chrysanthos
May 30, 2015 Chrysanthos rated it liked it
I know that many people swear by these series, but I didn't feel one way or the other. It wasn’t bad or anything (thankfully no characters with the emotional intelligence of a baked burrito) but I've read much better. To be completely honest I can think more than 10 books in the same genre I enjoyed more than this. So, 2,5 stars from me rounded up to 3.
Adam
Apr 08, 2015 Adam rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Author is clearly getting better. I reference far better reviews when I say that the book is not very good, but you keep reading it until you're okay with that. Still has bad scene movement and awkward talking, but getting the hang of it.
Miriam
Sep 18, 2009 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mythology
The second installment in this series is not as tight as the first, and the humor is even more forced. However, I still found the characters sympathetic and the action interesting.
Nightfall
Dec 06, 2011 Nightfall rated it really liked it
Having established all her characters and the basic background of her world in the first book, Thurman takes off running with this one and launches straight into the mystery/action. Our protagonist brothers have decided to open a PI agency and they're working their first case. It turns out to be more of a straightforward bash and run than a genuine mystery, but I get the sense that's the sort of story that works for this author. The tone of this book is even more grim than the last book, but sin ...more
Jessica
Aug 29, 2011 Jessica rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
It took me two weeks to read this… well, to read the first half, anyway. Thanks to more inclusion of Nik, Robin and Promise in the second half, I managed to finish that part in a couple of hours. I’m not sure why it took me so long to get through the first part, but I think it may be because so much time was with emo-boy Cal alone, and he bores me to clean. (That was deliberate; I actually managed to get a fair amount of cleaning done in the past couple of weeks because I was avoiding this book. ...more
Nick McGreggor
Not bad. I enjoyed it. Some great interaction between Cal and Niko. Amusing banter.

Robin Goodfellows is a great character. One of my favorites.

There werewolves did not work for me. Didn’t like Flay, didn’t like the two-headed one (although the fight scene on the roof was tense and well done). Promise and George never really filled out completely for me.

I’m often told that Auphe are the baddest of the bad, but I don’t remember seeing anything that proved it out in this particular book—though I’m
Anita
Apr 22, 2009 Anita rated it really liked it
L-D
In the second book of this series, Cal and Nik's friend Georgina gets kidnapped and they must find and retrieve a crown as ransom. Cal is still denying his feelings for the young Georgina. While Cal is still brash, immature, and lazy - he does seem to buck up a bit and goes after his friend with determination and a bit of recklessness while his mysterious half-auphe bloodline grants him some new and interesting gifts. Supported by his ever-present brother Nik and their new friends Promise, a vam ...more
Lin
Oct 02, 2010 Lin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: supernatural, 2010
The second Cal Leandros book and I think I love these books more than they deserve. Which is a lot
After the events of the first Cal and Niko have set up an agency with Promise, taking jobs using their unusual skill set. When a job gathering information on one of the kin (the werewolf mafia) goes wrong it turns out their employer has other objectives Cal is pushed over the edge as hostages are taken.

Cal's voice grows stronger, more assured throughout in his internalised ramblings. He's still as s
Jenny
Jul 12, 2016 Jenny rated it really liked it
These books are like a tube of pringles, same shaped, potato powder things in a convenient packaging without any actual nutritional value beyond giving you half a truck load (thats around 3 fuck tons for those who are not familiar with the bucketload system) of empty calories. Regardless, the moment you pop the top of the thing and start eating, you won't stop. Your house might burn down around you and your wife may leave you and you may be attacked by a vengeful penguin called carl on a mission ...more
Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* .
This book is the second in the Cal and Niko series. I enjoyed the first book and this second book was a pretty good read as well. I do have to say that Rob Thurman can really draw out a scene, almost painfully so. She writes in a lot of monologuing by Cal that's unnecessary during the scenes and if your not paying close attention, you can get lost in the chapter. I had to go back and re-read a few paragraphs on more then one occasion because I lost track of the conversation. Overall the story is ...more
Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical)
Great sequal. Loads better than the first one, which is extraordinary, since I adored the first one. Cal. I love him SO much. He's an awesome character, well developed, and I can totally relate to him, even though we really have nothing in common. Niko is a great brother and character. I love the relationship between the brothers--it's so genuine. I feel like they're real people.

Robin. How can you not love him? We get more of him in this one, I'm happy to say. And we get more of Promise. I can'
Katka Heřmanová
No, jak jen to říct. Tahle knížka, potažmo série, asi nebude pro každýho, to uznávám. Ale mně prostě sedí. Sedí mi sarkastickej hlavní hrdina (i když místy by to chtělo ubrat na dramatičnosti, Kale, drahoušku), sedí mi jeho perfektní starší bratříček, a když na to přijde, tak i ten Vtipálek, co ojede všechno, co mu přijde do cesty a neklade odpor. Jo, příběh sice občas působí kapku natahovaně, ale stejně si nemůžu pomoct a dát míň hvězdiček než pět...
Tara
I wish you could do 1/2 stars at goodreads because this book wasn't quite 4 stars, but it was definitely better than the first earning it a solid 3 1/2 stars. There wasn't a lot a preamble before we got down to the plot. I really love the brothers relationship. I LOVE Robin. I don't really care for the women in the story they are a little meh. I like that Cal has started to really learn about himself and learn that even his brother isn't invincible. I am looking forward to the next book.
Don Bradshaw
Reading one of these books is akin to being at the top of a roller coaster heading down full speed into the heart of Creepville. You know that the blood, guts and ghoulies will be at the bottom but you can't resist. I enjoyed this book much more than the first. There was much more action and out group of five was more cohesive. Cal's snarky attitude was perfect. The unspoken love that Niko and Cal share for each other is incredible.
Emily
Oct 26, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
Hurray! I've found another urban fantasy series to fall in love with. I've tried a couple other series this year that were only OK, but this Cal Leandros series has been wonderful so far. Cal's voice is great, and I love his relationship with his brother Niko. Great characters and action scenes too-love this series!
Joyce
Nov 15, 2015 Joyce rated it really liked it
Good story with the kind of ending that makes me want to throw the book against the wall and run downstairs to get book number three!!!!!!! Ugh!!!!!!

"You're not a freak, Caliban. You're a light, do you hear me? A light in the darkness."
Jean
Apr 22, 2008 Jean rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes wit with their action
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Moonshine continues the fast paced action, sharp wit and wild thrill ride from the first book with continued character development and a deeper look into the world. Needless to say I absolutely loved it.
crime/thriller/ho...: Cal Leandros 1 5 Nov 01, 2012 01:15PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Moonshine by Rob Thurman 1 2 Mar 30, 2012 10:29AM
  • Unquiet Dreams (Connor Grey, #2)
  • New Tricks (Dog Days, #2)
  • Demon Bound (Black London, #2)
  • Deader Still (Simon Canderous, #2)
  • Cybermancy (Webmage, #2)
  • Daemon Eyes (Daemons, Inc., #1 & #2)
  • Smoke and Ashes (Tony Foster #3)
  • Hell to Pay (Nightside, #7)
  • Darkness Calls (Hunter Kiss, #2)
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)
  • The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift, #2)
  • A Devil in the Details (Jesse James Dawson, #1)
  • Hands of Flame (Negotiator Trilogy/Old Races Universe #3)
  • An Artificial Night (October Daye, #3)
Rob Thurman is currently writing three series for Penguin Putnam's imprint ROC FANTASY, as well as a brand-new mainstream series for Simon & Schuster's POCKET BOOKS.
Rob has also written for a Charlaine Harris & Toni L.P. Kelner Anthology, WOLFSBANE AND MISTLETOE. This year, Rob contributed a post-apocalyptic, "grim" faerie tale Western to the anthology, COURTS OF THE FEY.

Rob's work is dark
More about Rob Thurman...

Cal Leandros (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Nightlife (Cal Leandros #1)
  • Madhouse (Cal Leandros, #3)
  • Deathwish (Cal Leandros, #4)
  • Roadkill (Cal Leandros, #5)
  • Blackout (Cal Leandros, #6)
  • Doubletake (Cal Leandros, #7)
  • Slashback (Cal Leandros, #8)
  • Downfall (Cal Leandros, #9)
  • Nevermore (Cal Leandros, #10)
  • Everwar (Cal Leandros, #11)

“Everyone has something in their life, in their world, that can break them.” 4 likes
“You always remember the words that come back to bite you in the ass, no matter how much you'd like to forget them.” 4 likes