Conversations with the Devil

Conversations with the Devil

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  23 reviews
New York Times bestselling author Jeff Rovin has held readers in breathless suspense with his Tom Clancy's Op-Center novels. He has created compelling characters with vividly rendered emotions and actions. His page-turning thrillers have addressed questions of good and evil in our times.

Now, Rovin confronts the question of Good and Evil on the ultimate battleground. A huma...more
Published March 6th 2007 by Forge Books (first published 2007)

Victoria
Despite a solid, creepy foundation and build-up, the book’s climax fell completely flat. Of all the fictitious Satans that I have stumbled across in novels, this was by far the most stereotypical. Rovin did not add anything extra to round out this demonic presence into an actually interesting character the way so many other authors are able to accomplish. Some of the almost political topics that the book broaches feel more like odd tangents and a way for the author to reveal personal opinions, a...more
Sara
This book has a very interesting premise. A woman who is a lapsed Catholic and a psychoanalyst is disturbed by the suicide of one of her patients. When she finds out he was a Satanist, she conjures up the Devil while going through some of the Satanic rituals in an effort to find out what was going on with her patient. Then things start to go horribly wrong.

Sounded like a great story and I'm always interested in what I term "religious horror". I was disappointed, though, in many ways with this bo...more
Morgan
This book was written just like a drama series. The only downfall was that it moved very slowly, and the bits where it was supposed to be climatic and exciting, they were very short, or gave the reader more to be desired. The main conflict wasn't involved enough for me. I craved more when I was done with the book.
OutlawPoet
Apr 07, 2008 OutlawPoet rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
I'm afraid this was a tedious read. The characters are dull and unpalatable and it takes about 180 pages to get to any meat. However, not to worry...the meaty and interesting section ends quickly and within 20 pages you are back to plodding narrative and uninteresting characters. I would give this one a miss!
Molly
I love a good horror story but this one was not as good as I had hoped for it to be. The storyline was decent but the writing was very dry, way too detailed about unimportant things, and pretty unrealistic. I don't know about you but it I was face to face with Satan himself, I would be terrified.
Brian
I expected a lot more from this book! It was good up until the psychologist really tries to understand the reasoning behind the death of a patient of hers.

The book did leave me with some great visuals I still remember from reading this though! It wasn't a total waste.
Nicole Doiron
Apr 02, 2009 Nicole Doiron marked it as to-read
I found this book at Chapter's in a salesbin for $5. By its description, it sounded like an interesting read so i decided to give it a try. I have JUST started reading it and well, i have second thoughts. But i'm still willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.
Jean
Pretty interesting concept. It was almost like interview with a Vampire mixed with a little bit of quid pro quo made famous by Hannibal. The ending leaves something to be desired and the story takes awhile to rev up but interesting read nonetheless.
Marc-Antoine
I surprisingly actually really liked this one, and I had almost got scared off by the inconsistent reviews. Good story, sometimes disturbing and a worthwhile read.
Kenneth Hursh
Conversations pleasantly surprised me for being about a person grappling with her own demons more than Satan himself. It was thoughtful and kept focused on the protagonist’s inner struggle rather than relying on horror and nail-biting action. Sarah is a psychologist who loses a young patient to suicide, which Sarah didn’t see coming. Trying to find out why the patient did himself in, Sarah discovers the patient had been involved in devil worship. Sarah follows the patient’s devil summoning routi...more
Nash Vinn
A mixed bag, for me . some parts of the book really spoke to me. I particularly enjoyed the psychological and spiritual exploration the protagonist goes through, especially in the latter half of the story. However I did find the climax of the novel to be a tad, well, anticlimatic. Not a book to actively seek out, but if you're interested in theological discussion and in playing the Devil's advocate (snicker), then worth a shot.
Jbreezy
Good book. Very smart and thought provoking.
Ella
Very eye opening. It definitely makes you reconsider things!
Michael Hsu
Interesting story line but the build up to the climatic encounter with the devil lack the suspense and intensity I was hoping for in a religious horror novel. The conversation with the devil at times feels very ordinary.
Steven Raszewski
Slow and boring but I finish the bad books I start, don't know why....
Eleanor
After reading the little blurb compliments on the book jacket, I had high expectations for this book. When I finished the book I examined the outer cover more closely to find out that the blurbs were not only complimenting his other books, but that his other books were nonfiction.
Seth Zimmerman
A terrifying book that will make you turn on all the lights in the house and keep you on the edge of your seat. This book really isn't a religious novel, but a question of why things happen in our lives. And besides, everyone's faith gets tested from time to time.
Hope
i liked a lot of the conversations, the descriptions, the characters, the characterization, all of it. great read.
Khrys
Scary! If you believe in the devil this book might shake you. Can't say I slept very well after this one!
Beth Eagle
This turned out to be a pretty good book. Not a bad deal from the dollar store.
Skyler
Scary and riviting a favorite of mine...
Jonathan Harrell
Interesting but slow...
Lizziepeps
Worst book I've ever read.
Caidy
Caidy marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Ashley Flanders
Ashley Flanders marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
very predictable 1 3 Mar 25, 2008 11:04AM
Games of State (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #3) Mortal Kombat Vespers Fatalis Return of The Wolf Man