Start by marking “The Tibetan Book Of The Dead The Great Liberation Through Hearing In The Bardo” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Tibetan Book Of Th...

Padmasambhava

The Tibetan Book Of The Dead The Great Liberation Through Hearing In The Bardo

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  364 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
This classic reference forms the basis for many Eastern religions and belief systems, offering a unique contribution to thought and philosophy regarding death, existence after death, and rebirth. 2 cassettes.
Published January 1st 1975 by Shambala

Be the first to ask a question about The Tibetan Book Of The Dead The Great Liberation Through Hearing In The Bardo

Emtiaj Hasan
Oct 08, 2015 Emtiaj Hasan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
এই বইটা পড়ার সাথে কষটকর কোন ভরমণের তুলনা করতে পারি। সিরিয়াস রকমের কষট। পরচুর টারম আছে, মনে রাখতে হয়। এক পৃষঠায় পড়লাম তো পরের পৃষঠা যেতে যেতেই ভুলে গেলাম। বযাপারটা খুব বিরকতিকর। মূল অনুবাদে যাওয়ার আগে যে লেখাটা আছে সেটা পড়া মাতরাতিরিকত কষটের। আসলে পড়া শেষে আমার কথা হচছে, আবার পড়তে হবে।

আর একটা বযাপার হচছে, খুব কষুদর একটা সময়কে অসংখয ভাগে ভাগ করে সেই কষুদর সময়ের বিশাল বরণনাকে কিভাবে দেখে কেউ? আমি এই বইটাকে আবদধ কষেতরে ঘুরপাক খাওয়ার সাথেই তুলনা করতে পারি।

বইটার বিষয়বসতু কী? একটা মানুষ মরে গেল। সব কি
Angie
May 22, 2009 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism, university, 2007
"Then the Lord of Death will drag you by a rope tied round your neck, and cut off your head, tear out your heart, pull out your entrails, lick your brains, drink your blood, eat your flesh and gnaw your bones; but you cannot die, so even though your body is cut into pieces you will recover."

If Buddhism was represented by a bunch of high school cliques, Tibetan Buddhism would be the hardcore bad-asses everyone’s afraid of.

This book is really hard to read simply because of what it’s about: your ex
Nikki
The introduction and the commentary served as a great setup for the text itself, though still didn't prepare me for what I was in for. At first it seemed very different from other Buddhist texts I've read. It definitely didn't have the almost warm-fuzzy, reassuring feeling I get when reading Thich Nhat Hanh's books. But then I was reading through, starting to think the ideas were getting repetitive - I had an epiphany. It's personal and detailed, but it blew open a part of mind. The psychologica ...more
Vaishali Joglekar
The translated book of how to transit to the next life after completing this one. In Tibet, the bridge that does this is called a bardo.
Very useful for someone like me who wants precision in bardo-crossing :)
Bad news: the pathway has scores of steps and lasts upto 5 days ! The book was hence written so that a family member/priest can direct the spirit through the bardo's confusion.
Pure, compassionate, and fearless thoughts are the key to successful crossing, which is perhaps why material life h
Jody Mena
Fascinating and thought provoking. It is a very different picture of cosmology than I have ever considered. I am quite certain I did not understand everything here, but the commentaries were incredibly helpful. It is definitely not the sort of thing you can simply read once, I can tell it would require many years of study to truly grasp everything presented here. This structure of psychology and cosmology is a remarkable way to look at the world and at the human experience of life and death. I w ...more
Paul
May 21, 2007 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is the first instruction manual ever written about anything. And it is about how to die and enter into the Bardo(the state in between death and rebirth), and attain liberation from Samsara(The circle of suffering, i.e. earth).
Travis
Nov 08, 2012 Travis rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYBODY
Recommended to Travis by: Tex
Everyone should read this. Every buddhist should read it. It gives me enlightenment dreams many nights for the duration that I read it. It is fascinating and magnetic.
Huyen Vo
Sep 18, 2012 Huyen Vo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
when i die i want someone 2 read me dis book to guide me thru the bardo states
Monika Müller
Certainly the content of this book is from a psychological point of view very interesting when considering the time when it was written (The scripture got found in the 15th century). The text was originally thought to speak to a person who is in the process of dying. Naturally the system of thinking of a closed society of old times, what has one way of thinking, forms the base of that. When the reader wants to tap into the old Tibetan way of understanding life and death, this book is interesting ...more
Terri
Dec 29, 2011 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Death is a part of life. There’s no getting around that. Death is also a major subject in the world’s religions. One religious text that deals with death is the Tibetan Book of the Dead by Guru Rinpoche. There are many different versions and translations of this particular book. This review focuses on the Shambhala pocket edition (256 pages, Shambhala Pocket Classics, $7.00) with translation and commentary provided by Francesca Fremantle and Chogyam Trungpa.

Read more: http://relijournal.com/budd
Carolyn
Jun 23, 2012 Carolyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality, death
Read this again and it left me with the same incomplete feeling as before. The introduction by Fremantle is helpful in a scholarly way; the commentary by Trungpa makes it meaningful. The translation seems dated since in the 21st century it is hard to tolerate using only the male pronoun. That little word can plunge a text right out of "spirituality" and into "religious studies."
An essay by Steven Goodman in the Spring 2012 Inquiring Mind lists his preferred versions by Rbt Thurman, Gyurme Dorje,
Kevin
May 05, 2008 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The version I have is actually Translated with commentary by Francesca Fremantle and Choygam Trungpa, not Huston Smith. It is 105 pages long. Having previously read the first translated version of the Tibetan Books of the Dead, I found this short version to be very refreshing and helpful. The reading of it is very redundant, which tends to make the reading more like a recitation of a prayer. I found it to be not only intellectually and historically stimulating, but to be quite meditative as well ...more
Charles
Nov 11, 2008 Charles marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Handy to have around in case I need to read a Buddhist friend through their last breaths I guess, but sheeshz, I was hoping this was more of a "how to live" book than instructions on exactly when to remind a dying friend of his Buddhist instruction. (Much less exactly when the pus will come from various parts of his body and how long it will take between the last breath and last pulsing of blood flow - blech!)
Nick
Apr 26, 2011 Nick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's a sort of manual for ushering the dead into liberation. The ritual and mythology of it all was sort of interesting but it was a little too much, "all these ghosts and deities are real and you'll get to meet them..." Just too reminiscent of Sunday school, not to mention rather dry from the absence of narrative.
Jenny Butler
Even after studying the many layers of Buddhism, its history, and its teachings, this text can be a little un-grounding. If you plan to dive into this text, I would also pair it with a good scholarly read: "Luminous Emptiness: Understanding the Tibetan Book of the Dead". It helps....
Zuzi
Jul 20, 2011 Zuzi is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I have another addition translated by Gyurme Dorje (2005), which I didn't find listed at goodreads.
This book is marked "currently reading" - Dharma texts, having been read once, should never be put aside. They remain a source of inspiration forever after.
Raquel
Apr 05, 2013 Raquel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very easy to read and understand translation that conveys the spirit of the teachings. When I lay dying I want my loved ones to read the inspiration-prayers.
Namaste.
Russell
Oct 04, 2009 Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: always-reading
To be read over and over and over. Keep it by your side. Just pick a side and let it ponder there with you
Hadji VanderVeer
Jul 31, 2015 Hadji VanderVeer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It helped me answer a lot of questions on the in between from a Buddhist's point of view.
Patricia
Nov 24, 2007 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you can get through this, you'll never look at death/dying quite the same way - ever.
Sandy
that it's important to have someone pray over you who believes what you believe
Kyle
Apr 16, 2008 Kyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like to think about death, rather than not think about it.
Recommended to Kyle by: A wonderful Philosophy Professor and Friend
Shelves: bedside-table
I had so much fun reading this book. I love it. I'M SOOOO BUDDHIST NOW!
Sonam
Feb 07, 2014 Sonam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful:-) this is the book which cleared my doubts on bardo.
Pam Le page
Jun 24, 2013 Pam Le page rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book -- very eye, mind and spirit opening
Kendal
Dec 04, 2008 Kendal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It seems like I've been here before...
Jackie
Nov 30, 2009 Jackie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alternative
Very deep - still need to chew on this.
Jessica
Joshua
Sep 22, 2012 Joshua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating!
  • Meditation in Action
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • Dream Yoga and the Practice of Natural Light
  • Autobiography of Madame Guyon
  • Secret of the Vajra World: The Tantric Buddhism of Tibet
  • Quest for the Living God: Mapping Frontiers in the Theology of God
  • Zen Lessons: The Art of Leadership
  • The Experience of Insight: A Simple & Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • The Devil: A Biography
  • Bodhisattva of Compassion: The Mystical Tradition of Kuan Yin (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • Science & Human Values
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead or The After-death Experiences on the Bardo Plane
  • The Essence of the Heart Sutra: The Dalai Lama's Heart of Wisdom Teachings
According to tradition, Padmasambhava was incarnated as an eight-year-old child appearing in a lotus blossom floating in Lake Dhanakosha, in the kingdom of Uddiyana, traditionally identified with the Swat Valley in present-day Pakistan. His special nature was recognized by the local king who married him to one of his daughters, Mandarava. She and Padmasambhava's other main consort, Yeshe Tsogyal, ...more
More about Padmasambhava...

“the yidam is the expression of one’s own basic nature, visualized as a divine form in order to relate with it and express its full potentiality.” 0 likes
“The book describes the death experience in terms of the different elements of the body, going deeper and deeper. Physically you feel heavy when the earth element dissolves into water; and when water dissolves into fire you find that the circulation begins to cease functioning. When fire dissolves into air, any feeling of warmth or growth begins to dissolve; and when air dissolves into space you lose the last feeling of contact with the physical world. Finally, when space or consciousness dissolves into the central nāḍī, there is a sense of internal luminosity, an inner glow, when everything has become completely introverted.” 0 likes