Blank-133x176
The Tibetan Book Of Th...

Francesca Fremantle

The Tibetan Book Of The Dead The Great Liberation Through Hearing In The Bardo

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  295 ratings  ·  28 reviews
This classic reference forms the basis for many Eastern religions and belief systems, offering a unique contribution to thought and philosophy regarding death, existence after death, and rebirth. 2 cassettes.
Published January 1st 1975 by Shambala

Be the first to ask a question about The Tibetan Book Of The Dead The Great Liberation Through Hearing In The Bardo

Myth Girl
The introduction and the commentary served as a great setup for the text itself, though still didn't prepare me for what I was in for. At first it seemed very different from other Buddhist texts I've read. It definitely didn't have the almost warm-fuzzy, reassuring feeling I get when reading Thich Nhat Hanh's books. But then I was reading through, starting to think the ideas were getting repetitive - I had an epiphany. It's personal and detailed, but it blew open a part of mind. The psychologica...more
Angie
"Then the Lord of Death will drag you by a rope tied round your neck, and cut off your head, tear out your heart, pull out your entrails, lick your brains, drink your blood, eat your flesh and gnaw your bones; but you cannot die, so even though your body is cut into pieces you will recover."

If Buddhism was represented by a bunch of high school cliques, Tibetan Buddhism would be the hardcore bad-asses everyone’s afraid of.

This book is really hard to read simply because of what it’s about: your ex...more
Jody Mena
Fascinating and thought provoking. It is a very different picture of cosmology than I have ever considered. I am quite certain I did not understand everything here, but the commentaries were incredibly helpful. It is definitely not the sort of thing you can simply read once, I can tell it would require many years of study to truly grasp everything presented here. This structure of psychology and cosmology is a remarkable way to look at the world and at the human experience of life and death. I w...more
Paul
This is the first instruction manual ever written about anything. And it is about how to die and enter into the Bardo(the state in between death and rebirth), and attain liberation from Samsara(The circle of suffering, i.e. earth).
Travis
Nov 08, 2012 Travis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYBODY
Recommended to Travis by: Tex
Everyone should read this. Every buddhist should read it. It gives me enlightenment dreams many nights for the duration that I read it. It is fascinating and magnetic.
Huyen Vo
when i die i want someone 2 read me dis book to guide me thru the bardo states
Monika Müller
Certainly the content of this book is from a psychological point of view very interesting when considering the time when it was written (The scripture got found in the 15th century). The text was originally thought to speak to a person who is in the process of dying. Naturally the system of thinking of a closed society of old times, what has one way of thinking, forms the base of that. When the reader wants to tap into the old Tibetan way of understanding life and death, this book is interesting...more
Terri
Death is a part of life. There’s no getting around that. Death is also a major subject in the world’s religions. One religious text that deals with death is the Tibetan Book of the Dead by Guru Rinpoche. There are many different versions and translations of this particular book. This review focuses on the Shambhala pocket edition (256 pages, Shambhala Pocket Classics, $7.00) with translation and commentary provided by Francesca Fremantle and Chogyam Trungpa.

Read more: http://relijournal.com/budd...more
Carolyn
Read this again and it left me with the same incomplete feeling as before. The introduction by Fremantle is helpful in a scholarly way; the commentary by Trungpa makes it meaningful. The translation seems dated since in the 21st century it is hard to tolerate using only the male pronoun. That little word can plunge a text right out of "spirituality" and into "religious studies."
An essay by Steven Goodman in the Spring 2012 Inquiring Mind lists his preferred versions by Rbt Thurman, Gyurme Dorje,...more
Kevin
The version I have is actually Translated with commentary by Francesca Fremantle and Choygam Trungpa, not Huston Smith. It is 105 pages long. Having previously read the first translated version of the Tibetan Books of the Dead, I found this short version to be very refreshing and helpful. The reading of it is very redundant, which tends to make the reading more like a recitation of a prayer. I found it to be not only intellectually and historically stimulating, but to be quite meditative as well...more
Charles
Nov 11, 2008 Charles marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Handy to have around in case I need to read a Buddhist friend through their last breaths I guess, but sheeshz, I was hoping this was more of a "how to live" book than instructions on exactly when to remind a dying friend of his Buddhist instruction. (Much less exactly when the pus will come from various parts of his body and how long it will take between the last breath and last pulsing of blood flow - blech!)
Nick
It's a sort of manual for ushering the dead into liberation. The ritual and mythology of it all was sort of interesting but it was a little too much, "all these ghosts and deities are real and you'll get to meet them..." Just too reminiscent of Sunday school, not to mention rather dry from the absence of narrative.
Jenny Butler
Even after studying the many layers of Buddhism, its history, and its teachings, this text can be a little un-grounding. If you plan to dive into this text, I would also pair it with a good scholarly read: "Luminous Emptiness: Understanding the Tibetan Book of the Dead". It helps....
Zuzi
Jul 20, 2011 Zuzi is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I have another addition translated by Gyurme Dorje (2005), which I didn't find listed at goodreads.
This book is marked "currently reading" - Dharma texts, having been read once, should never be put aside. They remain a source of inspiration forever after.
Raquel
Very easy to read and understand translation that conveys the spirit of the teachings. When I lay dying I want my loved ones to read the inspiration-prayers.
Namaste.
Russell
To be read over and over and over. Keep it by your side. Just pick a side and let it ponder there with you
Shaun Goodfellow
Yes, my gawd...the ultimate visual on the path in the bardo!! There is a liberating effect here!!
Patricia
If you can get through this, you'll never look at death/dying quite the same way - ever.
Sandy
that it's important to have someone pray over you who believes what you believe
Kyle
Apr 16, 2008 Kyle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like to think about death, rather than not think about it.
Recommended to Kyle by: A wonderful Philosophy Professor and Friend
Shelves: bedside-table
I had so much fun reading this book. I love it. I'M SOOOO BUDDHIST NOW!
Sonam
Wonderful:-) this is the book which cleared my doubts on bardo.
Pam Le page
This is a wonderful book -- very eye, mind and spirit opening
Kendal
It seems like I've been here before...
Jackie
Very deep - still need to chew on this.
Jessica
  • Meditation in Action
  • Science & Human Values
  • Buddhist Scriptures
  • The Confession of Saint Patrick
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead or The After-death Experiences on the Bardo Plane
  • Saved in Hope: Spe Salvi
  • How to Meet and Work with Spirit Guides
  • Awakening to the Sacred: Creating a Personal Spiritual Life
  • Faith: Trusting Your Own Deepest Experience
  • Born of a Woman
  • The Experience of Insight: A Simple & Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • Introducing Derrida
  • The Way of the Bodhisattva: A Translation of the Bodhicharyavatara
  • Inner Revolution
Luminous Emptiness: A Guide to the Tibetan Book of the Dead Libro tibetano de los muertos