Start by marking “Halloween” as Want to Read:
Halloween

Halloween

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  5,970 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
Based on the screenplay by John Carpenter and Debra Hill.

Tricked by his cunning ... Treated to his savagery ... Annie, Linda and Laurie ... fresh, pretty, ready to be taken ... stalked by a sadistic power who has returned to claim new victims, on this ... the most frightening night of the year.
Mass Market Paperback, 168 pages
Published by Bantam Books (first published October 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Halloween, please sign up.

Jeffrey Hale It's difficult to find for cheap. A copy in poor condition will probably run you $30-$50. I've been keeping my eye out for a while now. If you…moreIt's difficult to find for cheap. A copy in poor condition will probably run you $30-$50. I've been keeping my eye out for a while now. If you wouldn't mind shelling out $30 for a wrinkled mess, I would suggest checking out Abe Books.(less)
Daniyela You can find it on Amazon, but it's about $150 and that's probably the cheapest price you'll find, since it is out of print. I recommend you looking…moreYou can find it on Amazon, but it's about $150 and that's probably the cheapest price you'll find, since it is out of print. I recommend you looking for a pdf or epub, but that can be very difficult. I've just come across a pdf, if you're interested. (less)

Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
Oct 11, 2016 Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, horror-etc

I have had this book a million and one years and I love it so much! I love the old Halloween movies like you wouldn't believe. Watched them over and over as a kid and still to this day. I enjoyed the book a great deal, there are a few little tidbits added to the book that are not in the movie. I loved how you get the thoughts of Laurie and some other characters in the book that's not JUST in the movie!

The gory little figure turned and stepped over the fallen furniture and scattered clothing and
Alejandro
Oct 24, 2014 Alejandro rated it it was amazing
As good as the movie!!!

This is the novelization by Curtis Richards based on the original screenplay done for the film by John Carpenter & Debra Hill.

IF YOU KNEW BY HEART THE FILM...IS IT WORTHY TO READ THE NOVEL?

Quick answer... YES!!!

...but those are movies. You can always turn the television off if you get too scared. You can't turn off real life.

I had already watched the film several times in the past, but since I was able to get a copy of it like four years ago, I set a "tradition"
Ana
Oct 16, 2015 Ana rated it really liked it
Halloween is almost upon us!

photo www5_zpssbxactdj.gif

This, my dear friends, is the ultimate Halloween book. It's literally called Halloween. I'm sure you've all heard of the movie (if not, shame on you). Curtis Richards' story gives us insight into Michael's psyche. This novelization is far more graphic than its on-screen version. It's more detailed. I enjoyed the book, just not to the extent that I enjoyed the movie.

photo www3_zpsnexn2uuo.gif

Here are my Top 5 favorite scary books of all time.

1. Ghost Story by Peter Straub
2. The Crow by James
Carol
"TRICK...OR TREAT...OR DIE"

It's 1963.......Take a trip to Haddonfield, Illinois for a spook-filled time of goblins and witches, scary Jack-o-lanterns and the real bogeyman if. you. dare. as 6 year old Michael Myers answers the demanding wicked voices in his head with a violent attack on HALLOWEEN night.

Dressed as a clown, and later referred to as "IT" (sound familiar Stephen King fans?) even after 15 years in exile at the Warren County Sanitarium, Michael returns and the evil is still not gone,

♡´°~♡ Unsolved Mystery ♡~°´♡

- My Description -
Halloween - The time of year for the giving of candy and fear of ghosts.

Halloween 1963 - Young Michael Myers brutally stabs his older sister with a large kitchen knife.

He is sent to an insane asylum where he sits for 15 years till one night, Halloween 1978.

Michael returns to Haddonfield.

He's come home for unfinished business.
He's come home to kill.

- My Review -
For anyone who has watched and loved the movie, Halloween, you'll love this book.

It gives deeper insight to the
Gianfranco Mancini
Movie novelizations/tie-ins usually suck, but this was very good. Almost as good as John Carpenter's cult movie. Almost.

Jack Tripper
Mar 29, 2016 Jack Tripper marked it as to-read
description

(Cover of the first Bantam mass-market printing from 1979. I don't normally read novelizations, but this one supposedly adds a lot of depth and backstory to Michael Myers. Too bad it's nearly impossible to find in decent condition for less than $100, which is crazy.)
Rebecca McNutt
Dec 23, 2014 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it
I think the 1970's film was better, but this book was really amazing, too. It was well-written and descriptive and very gripping and suspenseful.
André
Aug 02, 2009 André rated it it was amazing
No form of the written word is more maligned than the "movie tie-in" paperback novel: those hastily written adaptations of film scripts released to coincide with a movie opening to stir up more attention and hopefully rake in extra cash. Some of these actually became quite collectible, depending on the cult nature of the film, and scarcity of the first pressing.
Halloween, based on the now iconic horror movie, was one of a number of film related horror titles Bantam books was doing at the time, m
Sharon
Sep 08, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: halloween-reads
I'm a big fan of the John Carpenter film so I was expecting a fairly straightforward movie tie-in, given that this book was written after the film.

I was pleasantly surprised - this gives the characters so much more depth, and we find out so much more about Michael Myers and what makes him tick. We see how a curse in ancient Northern Ireland led to an evil soul doomed to walk the earth, repeating evil deeds over and over - and how it eventually ended up affecting Michael's Grandfather and then h
Michael
Überraschend solide geschriebenes Buch zum Film, bei dem ich sogar etwas lernen konnte:
Die Taktik, bei den Slasher-Szenen die Augen zuzuhalten oder mal eben etwas aus der Küche zu holen, funktionieren anders als beim Film beim Buch nicht.
Wenn vom Bösen besessene Kinder groß werden... Anders als March in BAD SEED lässt Richards keinen Zweifel daran, warum Michael Myers "böse" ist - und mit Psychologie hat das nichts zu tun. Gibt es eigentlich das Genre "Kinderhorror"? Mir fielen auf Schlag etlich
Andrew Cliett
Nov 01, 2013 Andrew Cliett rated it liked it
This is far different from the film, which is why I didn't like it.
It delves into the reasoning of Michael Myers, the reason he is so creepy is because he's just there for no apparent cause. It's much more creepier to some random guy just kill 3 people (As an adult, in THIS movie, snyway) with no remorse or feeling. Loomis was a nice element in this, he was the only one actually trying to stop Michael.
The end, having Michael shot 6 times over the balcony of the Doyle house (An error Halloween II
 Martin
Nov 05, 2015 Martin rated it liked it
More like 3 1/2. Fun read, especially for the origins of the curse of Samhain and Michael Myers' life in Smith's Grove Sanitarium. Just wish the characters could have been more fleshed out.
BRNTerri
May 16, 2009 BRNTerri rated it it was amazing
Elusive Controversé
Nov 01, 2015 Elusive Controversé rated it liked it
Shelves: review
‘Halloween’ is about little Michael Myers who kills his elder sister after repeatedly hearing a mysterious voice. Years later when he escapes from the sanitarium, he stalks three teenage babysitters while his psychiatrist and the police attempt to track him down.

The background behind the voice was given at the beginning of the book. It was interesting, dark and sad all at the same time but most importantly, it helped explain the existence and owner of the voice. The part where Michael killed hi
Nichole Rose
Aug 13, 2014 Nichole Rose rated it it was amazing
Hamza
Oct 24, 2013 Hamza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is a great book, and probably one of the better movie novelizations I've ever read. It does differ from the movie in some ways that seem unnecessary, such as changing some lines or adding more drama to some of the more mundane earlier parts of the film before the climax. Speaking of climaxes, some of the sex scenes in this book are extremely graphic, which makes me wonder if Richard Curtis (the real name of "Curtis Richards") didn't secretly want to be a romance novelist before deciding to ...more
J K
Jul 23, 2014 J K rated it really liked it
Well, biased because of the film, and this version has several typos and occasionally suspect formatting - but it's Halloween! There's also an interesting back storyto Michae Myers which the 1978 movie (still the best, duh) really didn't get a chance to touch on. Not sure if explaining the evil would have worked anyway, in the movie (avoid the sequels after 2 when it really gets pagan child of Myers blah blah blah). This is the pulpy horror classic with a few interesting extras, well worth check ...more
Mike Lester
Oct 31, 2011 Mike Lester rated it liked it
Movie tie-ins are usually considered hack work, even when written by good writers under pseudonyms, but there are a few that rise above the cliche and stand as good novels in their own right (I'm thinking of Dennis Etchison's fine novelizations of The Fog and Videodrome particularly.) This novelization of John Carpenter and Debra Hill's Halloween can be added to that list. "Curtis Richards" (actually literary agent Richard Curtis) does a fine job here. His additions to the screenplay actually en ...more
William Hage
Jul 07, 2014 William Hage rated it liked it
Not bad for a movie tie-in. I would have given it a higher rating, but I really didn't like the author's choice to try and explain why Michael Myers did what he did. The author also basically made him a sexual sadist which is so far from what Myers represented in the movies. He took away the thing that made Myers scary and that was no one knew why, not the characters and not us.

Lovecraft put it best: “The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear
Reid
Aug 14, 2012 Reid rated it liked it
The novelization of "Halloween" was quite a quick read. I didn't expect literary genius, but the book was fairly well crafted and kept me involved. While I did enjoy some of the "fleshing out" of the characters, I truly didn't enjoy the characterization of Michael Myers. The Celtic angle was a nice touch, but I think that the lack of motive in the Carpenter film actually made the character more intriguing. Either way, this was a lovely addition to my spooky bookshelf -- courtesy of my lovely gir ...more
Shane
Sep 02, 2013 Shane rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, novelisations
Loved the film. Loved the novel at least as much. Was interesting to hear Michael Myers' thoughts and the odd memory of him as a child. I wasn't so keen on the little explanation at the beginning about the curse in ancient times and so on, it felt a bit unnecessary and I would've preferred the author to have left it out completely.

Very good, which is probably not something that's said too often about novelisations.
Emily Ward
Sep 02, 2015 Emily Ward rated it it was amazing
It was very good,similar to the movie, yet different, it's kind of hard to explain, but I liked the book better than the original movie. I read this book when I was about 11 or 12. I recommend this to anyone who is a fan of the Halloween series. I really liked how it grasped the idea of true horror. No movie or book scares me, but this one somehow did. I think John Carpenter did an amazing job on the movie, but I do have to admit, I like the book better. I totally recommend it!
Kathy Taylor
Oct 12, 2016 Kathy Taylor rated it it was amazing
If you like the movie Halloween, then you will like the book just as much.

With more background information about the happenings on the eve of Samhain, we come to understand why Michael did what he did and became the monster we have grown to love to hate.

This book also takes you along the screenplay of the movie. Great book. I can't emphasize it enough.
Melanie Malone
Feb 08, 2014 Melanie Malone rated it really liked it
This book is an excellent tie-in with the movie adaptation. If you are a fan of the Halloween movies you should enjoy this book as well. The book goes deeper into the backstory of why Michael Myers is the way he is. There were parts of the book where I felt like I was reading the screenplay, however Curtis Richards succeeded at expanding on the mythology and creating a suspenseful read.
Rebecca Payne
Apr 14, 2014 Rebecca Payne rated it liked it
My first "novelization". It is hard for me to judge as a stand-alone book but as an accompaniment to the film I think it's well done. The motivation for Michael Myers to kill is expanded upon and specifically why "frolicking" teenagers suffer the most (I found it more credible anyway than Friday the 13th's "sexy times kill babies in the water" back story).

Joe Chait
This movie tie-in was remarkably faithful to the John Carpenter screenplay. It added some background on the Druid curse that is hinted at throughout the film franchise. While most slasher flicks contain a strong dose of sexuality, the author really dwells on this part of the story. Creepily, we often look at the world through Michael Myers' eyes.
Sheila
No suelo leer adaptaciones de películas pero esta me llamó mucho la atención. Muy buena adaptación de la película original, con el aliciente de que algunas partes están narradas desde el punto de vista de Michael.
Además, introduce algo de folklore original que ayuda a dar transfondo a la historia.
Alexander Kot
Jun 08, 2012 Alexander Kot rated it really liked it
Anyone who knows me knows this is no surprise. Simple, fun, additional backstory what do you want? If you're not a fan of the movie series why are you reading this anyways?
Alberto
May 22, 2017 Alberto rated it it was amazing
The movie was way better than the book,I perfer movies because I can concentrate more.
Happy Halloween Day 2016 1 1 Aug 23, 2016 02:33AM
HALLOWEEN 3 14 Jan 28, 2015 01:01AM
What other Horror books do you like. 1 4 Jan 26, 2015 09:58AM
HIGH ON HORROR: Introduce yourselves here, fellow horror fans. 251 120 Aug 12, 2014 12:20PM
HIGH ON HORROR: Which Halloween Character Are You? 7 15 Jan 28, 2014 02:42PM
For the love of H...: HALLOWEEN, THE ULTIMATE HORROR CLASSIC! 2 7 Jan 22, 2014 04:06PM
For the love of H...: Which Halloween Character Are You? 1 8 Jan 21, 2014 11:02PM
  • Damien: Omen II
  • The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
  • Call Me Crazy: A Memoir
  • Night of the Living Dead
  • The Hills Have Eyes: The Beginning
  • The Final Conflict: Omen III (The Omen #3)
  • SEVEN-X