An Introduction to Japanese Court Poetry

An Introduction to Japanese Court Poetry

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  3 reviews
The poetry written by the Japanese imperial court between A.D. 550 and 1350 is regarded as one of the great literatures of the world. This volume introduces readers to that literature, offering at once a condensation, a reorganization, and an extension (to A.D. 1500) of "Japanese Court Poetry" (1901). (Poetry)
Published June 1st 1968 by Stanford University Press

Sherry
I was given this book in the late 70's by a friend who knew I was fascinated with Japan, long before I went to visit that country that I still resonate with in many ways. Maybe I wouldn't have gone if it weren't for this book, actually..? Feelings, sacred we have feelings.. This book is about feeling, and I can do no more to review it than to quote a few passages.

"This news I hear,
That you my friend,
are plunged in grief, comes from afar,
But still I must raise my voice in weeping;
Your distant...more
Tonileg
Jul 05, 2013 Tonileg marked it as to-read
Shelves: guides, ya-reads
I love certain types of poetry, especially nature and human emotions so of course I wanted to know more about Japanese court poetry. I already have this fantasy of the Taira period of Japanese culture and I've read and re-read 'Tale of Genji' too many times so when I stumbled upon this book, I had to read more about this period form a historical view.

poetry written by the Japanese imperial court between A.D. 550 and 1350 is regarded as one of the great literatures of the world. This volume intro...more
Jonathan
Miner is not necessarily the best translator, but he is one of the essential scholars in this field for Western audiences. A really well put together book.
Yanka Spiegel
Yanka Spiegel marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Sophie Metcalfe
Sophie Metcalfe marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2013
Timmothy Garrett
Timmothy Garrett marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
viktoria
viktoria marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Johann
Johann added it
Dec 01, 2011
Kelley
Kelley added it
Sep 11, 2011
Katt_goddess
Katt_goddess marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2010
Irina
Irina marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2010
Japanese Poetic Diaries Japanese Linked Poetry: An Account with Translations of Renga and Haikai Sequences Comparative Poetics: An Intercultural Essay on Theories of Literature The Cavalier Mode from Jonson to Cotton The Princeton Companion to Classical Japanese Literature