The Big Bang: A Guide to the New Sexual Universe

The Big Bang: A Guide to the New Sexual Universe

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The Big Bang, conceived by the entire Nerve staff, was penned by the site's most popular columnists, Emma Taylor and Lorelei Sharkey--along with a team of doctors--and photographed by critically acclaimed photographer Matthew Gunther. Nerve's "Your Week in Sex" column, available on over 30 websites, reaches 30 million viewers each week. The definitive guide to "doing it" F...more
Published July 1st 2003 by Plume

Mr. Roboto
Jul 31, 2007 Mr. Roboto rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adults only
Whether you want to know where your parts are, need to know the rules of bondage, whether you have the clap, or the cost of a Sanrio brand Hello Kitty vibrator (really!), this book will cover it. Has some no-brainer stuff about foreplay and making out no-nos, and reasons why you shouldn't use a dick pump. Pictures and illustrations make this a top-shelf book to keep out of the reach of young'uns. Glad this book exists - you can give it to your next bed buddy if s/he doesn't have a clue. In the n...more
Myridian
I was looking for a book about sex to recommend on mothering dot com and was reminded how good this book is. It talks in a humorous, but direct way about just about every aspect of sex you'd want to know about. The upshot though was I didn't end up posting anything after realizing that they're looking for books that speak from a conservative standpoint which this book definitely does not.
Amanda
This book is witty, funny, and well-researched - an excellent conversation starter not only between friends, but between partners.
Julia
Mar 14, 2007 Julia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: sex-therapy
When people ask me for a good book on sex, this is always the one I point them to. Witty, informative, and quite cheeky.
Jason
Mar 28, 2007 Jason rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young adults
Fairly large volume. Cheeky and trendy, but with LOTS of good information. Every 10 years or so a book like this is written (more than once a generation). IMHO, this book is the current incarnation in the field pioneered by "The Joy of Sex" (circa 1979).

BTW, The only reason I didn't give it more stars is that an encyclopedic volume like this isn't all flowers and fireworks. It IS a good read, but I'm not going to bring it to the beach w/ me like a Harlequin novel, or Harry Potter.
Bethanne
I swear I'm not a freak, my therapist had me read this one! It will make you blush, but super eye opening and kinda funny. The authors are witty and straight forward. It will definately make you feel more comfortable in your skin!
Tori
I'm a big fan of Em & Lo and Nerve, and think this is probably the edgiest comprehensive, straight forward sex guide I've found.
Nadia
Feb 26, 2008 Nadia added it
Another Valentine's Day gift..and absolutely hilarious and fun to read with a partner.
joycesu
Everyone should read this book!! It is highly informational and interesting to boot.
Maggie
My friend wrote this book. It's a great first book!
Brenna
best sex book. GREAT pictures! good info, and really funny.
cathy
Mar 17, 2009 cathy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adults only
A tongue-in-cheek sex manual? Seriously? Yes!
Corey Holly
Funny and sexy as hell. A must read.
Esmeralda
I read it for the articles, really.
Jeanne
Sort of modern Joy of Sex.
Laura added it
Jul 04, 2014
Sylwia
Sylwia marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Shiloe Chentnik
Shiloe Chentnik marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014