Start by marking “The Saturday Morning Murder (Michael Ohayon, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Saturday Morning Murder (Michael Ohayon, #1)

The Saturday Morning Murder (Michael Ohayon #1)

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  380 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Gur spins an intriguing mystery with international flavor and an attractive and likeable hero. When a revered senior analyst is found dead at the Jerusalem Psychoanalytic Society headquarters, Chief Inspector Michael Ohayon penetrates the elite, mysterious world of the institute to find the killer.
Published November 30th 1993 by Harper Perennial (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Saturday Morning Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Saturday Morning Murder

The Coroner's Lunch by Colin CotterillThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Widows of Broome by Arthur W. UpfieldThe Case of the Wayward Fae by H.L.  StephensThe Saturday Morning Murder by Batya Gur
Mysteries of a Foreign Nature
5th out of 65 books — 16 voters
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
Best Fantasy: Unique Worlds
382nd out of 505 books — 374 voters

More lists with this book...

Mary Ronan Drew
Mar 23, 2012 Mary Ronan Drew rated it really liked it
I wish I could remember who recommended this book to me because she deserves a personal thank you. I had seen the title before now - it was published in 1993. But it didn't particular call to me. But I took a flyer because of the recommendation. I had to buy it because the library doesn't have a copy and the library has so many other wonderful mysteries why should I bother with this one.

Well, I did, and I am very pleased with what I found. An almost flawless plot, a couple of superb characters a
Iblena
Aug 21, 2014 Iblena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
El asesinato del sábado por la mañana, es una historia coherente sin cabos sueltos pero con un desarrollo argumental lento - a lo que contribuye en parte la falta de diálogos- por lo que puede ser difícil de leer, si se espera una novela de acción trepidante y giros argumentales al final de cada capítulo. Interesante y completa descripción del mundo del Psicoanalistas y sus gentes presentándolo como organización cerrada elitista en el que coexisten alianzas, rivalidades, pequeños odios y envidia ...more
Katarzyna888
Feb 01, 2013 Katarzyna888 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Właściwie bardziej zasługuje na 3*, ale: to pierwszy kryminał z Izraela jaki czytałam; akcja rozgrywa się w środowisku psychoanalityków - oryginalnie!; jest troche izraleskich realiów, no i dowiedziałam się z niej sporo o terapii, np. czym jest przeniesienie i przeciwprzeniesienie;)
Rozwiązanie zagadki może nie zwala z nóg, ale miało swój smaczek i prawie do końca nie było oczywiste kto zabił i z jakiego powodu. Ciekawa pozycja!
Booknblues
Jan 25, 2016 Booknblues rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, bnb, israel
When Shlomo Gold finds his mentor well known psycho analyst Eva Neidorf, dead early one Saturday morning in Jerusalem, detective Michael Ohayon begins his search for the murderer. Batya Gur meticulously lays out the clues while providing the reader with information about Freudian psychoanalysis.
Gur's writing is not the fast paced mystery that some prefer, it slowly draws the reader to the conclusion. providing little steps along the way. She does give away the culprit before the end of the book
Joan Winnek
May 23, 2011 Joan Winnek rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers of detective fiction
Recommended to Joan by: Joan Macbeth
I read this book in two days--was I avoiding stuff I need to do?--actually I got a lot of it done.
It was gripping for several reasons:
•strong, appealing detective
•interesting but incomplete insight into Israeli culture
•depiction of relatively closed psychoanalytic organization
•psychological aspects (always important in good detective fiction)
Sharyn
Feb 05, 2014 Sharyn rated it really liked it
I have to read book 3 for book club, si I managed to find book one at the library. Written in 1993, the main character and the detective in the series is a Moroccan Jew named Micheal Ohayon ( I asked an Israeli freind how to pronounce it, and she just said "Oh a Moroccan name). The writing style is different, very little actual dialogue, and the parts about psychoanalysis are interesting. The detective is clever and we slowly learn his backstory, as well as see glimpses of Israeli socieyt of the ...more
Eugenia Almeida
Jul 11, 2014 Eugenia Almeida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En el Instituto Deutsch acaban de descubrir el cadáver de Eva Neidorf, una figura mítica en el ambiente psicoanalítico de Jerusalem. La doctora debía pronunciar una conferencia sobre los límites éticos en su disciplina. Ahora está en un sillón, con un balazo en la sien. La pistola y todos sus papeles han desaparecido.

Quien conduce la investigación es el inspector Michael Ohayon, un hombre de 38 años que ingresó a la policía por razones económicas, abandonando una carrera académica como historia
Kirsty Darbyshire
[My comments are taken from a mailing list discussion and as such contain spoilers!]

[on the characters]

I'm not done with the book yet but I'm finding the setting to be themost disappointing part of the book. I was looking forward tolearning something of Israel and Jerusalem but the places haven't comealive for me really. My reasoning is that since the book wasoriginally written in Hebrew the author expected her readers to havereasonable knowledge of the area in which it was set and didn't put

Elisamatt
Jun 19, 2012 Elisamatt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: worth-reading
I first read the review of this book some ten years before I actually read it. I even remembered the name!

This is the first in the series of detective/crime novels written by Batya Gur, who was the chief literary critic for one of Israel's largest papers. It is about, duh, a murder in a psychoanalytic institute--but what was amazing to me about this book is how right Ms. Gur got it in her descriptions of the foibles of both psychoanalytic institutes and psychoanalysts themselves. She was right
Jess
May 24, 2010 Jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
This is the first Batya Gur book I've read. Psychoanalysis doesn't appeal to me very strongly, so that element of the plot wasn't as exciting as the strange characters and their multifaceted issues. In a way, the book reminded me of a less preachy The Unbearable Lightness of Being (which I actually hated). I think Gur has a good way of building the mystery while also creating a cultural framework for the readers. Though I've read a lot about Israel and Judaism from American and Arab perspectives ...more
Siria
A pretty standard, well constructed whodunnit. All the facts fit together neatly at the end, though I wasn't surprised or taken aback by any twists or turns—Gur seems devoted to realism, to the dogged determination it takes to solve most crimes, and the murderer's identity was fairly certain for me from near the beginning. The most enjoyable parts of the book for me were the hints we got of Israeli society—the main character, Chief Superintendent Michael Ohayon, is an immigrant from north Africa ...more
Janet Mitchell
Jul 17, 2014 Janet Mitchell rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read by this author. It has been on my shelf a long time. I enjoyed it very much. It is a clever murder mystery which takes place in a psychiatric clinic in Jerusalem.
Joan
Apr 02, 2014 Joan rated it really liked it
Interesting, not tremendously exciting, but it hold your interest admirably. Might be of particular fascination to analysts.
Xerxessia
Sep 18, 2013 Xerxessia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Da hab ich einige Seiten gebraucht, um mich in Batya Gurs ganz eigenen und recht trockenen Stil einzulesen. Letztlich ist mir der Kommissar Ochajon aber doch ans Herz gewachsen. Den lässt die Autorin langsam und methodisch vorgehen. Ein nicht gerade überschwänglicher Charakter. Etwas distanziert werden aus seiner Sicht auch die anderen Personen geschildert.
Inhaltlich interessant fand ich die Einblicke in die Psycholoanalysen-Szene. Ist das hierzulande auch so? Der Alltag in Israel ist ein weiter
Jennifer Jacobson
Jan 04, 2008 Jennifer Jacobson rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and actually laughed out loud at some parts of the character-driven plot.

It was chosen as a book club book by my temple and everyone in the group liked the book. The main character is a detective and is an interesting and likable character. Apparently, after this book the author made him the subject of two more books that I am anxious to read.

The only negatives I would sayare that the ending is somewhat predictable and that since the book was translated from Hebrew to
Writerlibrarian
Interesting mystery with some character depth that kept me reading. Set in Israel after 1967. The lead character, Chief Inspector Ohayon has his qualities but along some attitudes that just rub me the wrong way. I like Gur's writing style and her intellectual approach to mystery/crime, I like less the paternalism of her lead character but it's not enough to stop me from reading her. This mystery set in the very close world of psychoanalysis is well done and keeps the reader on his toes even if t ...more
Jane J. Janas, Ph.D.
Slow moving plot but compelling character portrayal kept my interest
Cat.
Jun 08, 2014 Cat. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cat. by: Bookmarks Magazine
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Well. Aside from far too much background on the process of psychoanalysis, I enjoyed this book. I wish the earlier books were available in English, but I'll definitely be picking up the rest of the series. I also will be looking for maps of Jerusalem and Israel so I know what they're talking about.
Apr 24, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok
I want to explain the lower rating. It really probably was a good book; you should check out other reviews. It just never compelled me. I mean, I went three and four days before picking it up and reading a little. And I was interested in the plot. I mean, I thought about it a little bit while I wasn't reading. However, overall, I just couldn't get into it, but I'd like to state that I think it was me and where I am personally rather than the book. Good plot, good characters, so, good luck.
Mary Havlovic
Jul 05, 2013 Mary Havlovic rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Story set in Isreal where psychoanalyst is murdered prior to giving a lecture at the Institute. Author gives the reader an insight into the functions of the Institute and how the police go about solving the murder. Initially I found the book slow and difficult to get into but decided to continue to read it in hopes that the story line would get better. I was glad I continued to read the book as it does pick up more of an active detail as the book progresses and the murder is solved.
Nacho
Oct 25, 2007 Nacho rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: negra-y-criminal
Tal vez mi problema haya sido que tenía unas expectativas demasiado altas, pero la novela que abre la serie del inspector Ohayon me ha decepcionado. Me da la sensación de que Batya Gur aún no ha sabido encontrar el tono y el modelo de narración desde distintos puntos de vista me resulta fallido. Han sido tantas las recomendaciones que he recibido sobre esta autora que es posible que aún le dé otra oportunidad, pero, como no remonte el vuelo, conmigo que no cuenten para volver a pasar por caja.
Deb Oestreicher
A well written and compelling police procedural that takes place in Jerusalem. The chief detective, an erstwhile scholar of medieval history, succeeds by absorbing the world in which the murder has taken place; in this case, it's a psychoanalyst who's killed, so he (and you) learns a great deal about analysis and analysts. And of course you're struck by the parallels between the detective's work and the analyst's.
B. Asher
Sep 16, 2011 B. Asher rated it did not like it
This was a difficult book for me to read. After 30 pages I questioned whether I should continue. After 100 pages I figured I had too much invested.

This is a murder mystery set in Israel but I didn't find it all that mysterious. The characters are interesting enough but I found the story line much too slow for my taste. I do not believe that this being a translation was the issue.
Nathanial
Aug 04, 2012 Nathanial added it
Shelves: mystery
What's so good about Gur's writing is that she adopts the working metaphors of whatever subculture she depicts: here it's a tightly-knit society of psychoanalysts. I read it all in one sitting, so it's still a bit of a blur, but I think the protagonist has the knack of gleaning key concepts from early interviews and surprising subsequent suspects with his knowledge. Fun stuff.
Danielle Smith
Dec 03, 2014 Danielle Smith rated it did not like it
For all the hoopla and excessive focusing in on so many details, it fell short in the end. It droned on about a very specific society in Jerusalem, numbered the cigarettes characters smoked, and said Turkish coffee about a half dozen times. I wouldn't want to be stuck on a desert island with this book, is all I can say.
Susan Ackland
Apr 19, 2010 Susan Ackland rated it liked it
I guess I'm not really a mystery fan. I find convoluted plot not interesting in itself. I did find the characters and some of the detail about the psychoanalytic community interesting enough to keep me going and i can see that this book is probably very well done as far as this type of book goes.
Brendan
May 08, 2010 Brendan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Better than a 3, perhaps not quite a 4.
It starts slowly with a lot of details about how they operate at the Institute. But then it picks up when the focus shifts to the police investigation. A good read for the most part, though I was a bit disappointed in the solution / ending.
Gargi
Jul 26, 2011 Gargi rated it really liked it
Very interesting and engaging mystery story -- the hero is a well drawn character who obviously has a past, which he draws from to inform his sleuthing. I was very happy to discover that this author has written a number of other mysteries centering around this same detective.
Samantha
Dec 25, 2008 Samantha rated it really liked it
Wonderful, complex murder mystery set in Israel at a Jerusalem institute for psychoanalysis. Interesting study of the protagonist (which is also making me realize my fondness for foreign male police detectives who would really rather be history dons than policemen).
Daphne Uviller
Jul 01, 2011 Daphne Uviller rated it liked it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I so wanted to like this -- an interesting lens through which to view Israel, perhaps? But I fear it was poorly translated. So plodding. I suspect it's much better in the original.
  • Monday the Rabbi Took Off
  • In the Land of Israel
  • Fax Me a Bagel
  • Kittyhawk Down (Inspector Challis, #2)
  • In Matto's Realm: A Sergeant Studer Mystery
  • Remedy For Treason (Chronicles Of Issac Of Girona, #1)
  • The Collaborator of Bethlehem
  • Le Crime (Louis Morgon #1)
  • Outsider in Amsterdam (Grijpstra & de Gier Mystery #1)
  • Maigret and the Killer
  • The Bone is Pointed (Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte, #6)
  • Hotel Bosphorus
  • The Big Nap (A Mommy-Track Mystery #2)

Michael Ohayon (6 books)
  • Literary Murder (Michael Ohayon, #2)
  • Murder on a Kibbutz (Michael Ohayon, #3)
  • Murder Duet (Michael Ohayon, #4)
  • Bethlehem Road Murder (Michael Ohayon, #5)
  • Murder in Jerusalem (Michael Ohayon, #6)