Brazen

Brazen

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  1,468 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Samantha Reed is willing to settle into marriage as a trophy wife to a wealthy older man--if it will help her aging father pay off his debts. But not before having her first, last and "only" fling--cramming a lifetime's worth of lust into one weekend with the first available guy she finds. And when her car breaks down near a roadside tavern, she sets her sights on the sexy...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Harlequin Books (first published May 1st 1999)

A Lot like Love by Julie JamesBreaking Point by Pamela ClareHead Over Heels by Jill ShalvisShadowfever by Karen Marie MoningLover Unleashed by J.R. Ward
Top 3 Romance Reads - 2011
198th out of 609 books — 1,045 voters
Party Girl by Rachel HollisBet Me by Jennifer CrusieVision in White by Nora RobertsFirst Grave on the Right by Darynda JonesVenom by Jennifer Estep
Awesome Shoes
46th out of 107 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrea Guy
Carly Phillips is an author that always delivers a good story. Brazen was Carly's first book for the Temptation line and its been reissued on Harlequin's HQN imprint, so that everyone can read it, and its worth revisiting. I was a bit surprised that it was a Blaze Temptation, as the sex didn't really take a front and center part in the story until the second half of the book. That didn't make the story any less steamy though.

Sammy Jo was the kind of heroine I really love. She's hard working, she...more
Petra Grayson
I tend to like Carly Phillips for a nice escape book so when I saw this one at the library book sale I had to pick it up. It was originally published in 1999. I found the premise a little disturbing: Samantha is going to marry a wealthy older man to pay off her father's debts but first she's going to have a fling. Reading the back cover, I got the impression that she was a virgin and wanted to lose her virginity to her choice of partner before marrying this other guy, but the book does imply tha...more
Taylor Fenner
Here's my summary: Samantha Reed decides to have one last fling before she finds herself married to a much older man she knows that she will never love. The marriage is one of convenience to get her stockbroker father out of debt. What she doesn't count on is meeting Ryan "Mac" Mackenzie in the Arizona desert. The sexy bartender is keeping a secret of his own: he's not really a bartender, but the rich owner of a nearby resort. The two begin a steamy week long affair. What neither of them expect...more
Anita Fleming
This is my first Carly Phillips book and I loved it. Normally I would never read a Harlequin book, but I have found that a little candy can really perk up your life. Sam is going to marry someone she doesn't love and barely likes to save her father from financial ruin, earn his love and keep a promise to her mother. She is looking to get laid and finds Mac. He is willing to accomdate her, but he finds himself drawn to her on a deeper level. He is gun shy due to the fact that he is rich and has o...more
Carrie Hinkel-Gill
After I finished Under the Boardwalk by Carly Phillips, I found myself in the mood to read another one of her books, so I chose this one because, in all honesty, it's another short one.

Even though this is another romance novel, it didn't disappoint. I got sucked in.

While I'm not typically a fan of romances of this style, I couldn't really complain about it. As this was her first book, her typically comedic/playful banter wasn't as strong as in subsequent novels, but this story was done well.

A...more
Susan
Almost ashamed to admit that I finished this book, it has such good reviews here and at amazon, but it was utter trash. I kept reading thinking that it would miraculously turn around and amaze me, but it just completely failed to do so. The heroine was so stupid that she'd have been dead before the book got off to a start and the whole premise of the story was utterly unbelievable. Not sure if I'll ever pick up another Carly Phillips book again.

CAL (RadReader59)
I really enjoyed this story. The characters where fun as well as all the supporting ones. Samantha is one of two main characters. She has a fun filled week planned for herself before she settles for a life she really is not looking forward to. Her car breaks down & she ends up up walking into a bar & meets Mac & her whole life changes. But, both have secrets lurking that could change the course if their lives. So worth reading to find out what goes on.
Kelly
Picked it up to read before bed and ended up reading it all the way through. Classic romance, but engrossing because you really begin to like the characters. Mac thinks of himself as tough or jaded, but he is really a nice guy and a good friend. Samantha has always been the good girl desperate for her parents' love, and now she is willingly marrying a rich man to fix the financial ruin of her father.
LL
"If you want something, go after it. If you don't, you really don't want it that bad."

"We've all got choices. You make the right one."

"Mac, I would have liked 'forever', even in a little apartment over a bar..."

This is what I love about Carly Phillips and Harlequin Novels! The right tug to the heart, the teary-eyed moments and of course, the happy endings. :)
Barb
Can a relationship that began with lies, overcome the test of time? Usually not. But when the lies began with real down to earth reasons, and good ones at that, were they able to overcome this test? Your heart goes out to both Mac and Sam as they wade through their emotions. Fortunately, us, the readers know their deepest secrets.
Colleen
Carly Phillips is hit or miss for me. I can never tell with her books - sometimes I love them and other times, not so much. I really enjoyed the story between Mac and Samantha. It was a contemporary fairy tale! A fast read as well so it doesn't take much of your time.
Alyssa
Carly Phillips did it again. She keep me intrigued to keep reading her book and sitting on the edge of my seat until the very end. I wish this book would've been a apart of a series because I would definitely love another book on Mac & Sam's lives. AMAZING! AMAZING JOB!
This was a cute, easy to read, fluff story. It was fairly predictable but that was ok. It did not require me to think and was enjoyable for that reason, plus that it had the happily ever after ending.
Blaire
This one just became my favorite Carly Phillips book!! Funny, sexy, easy read!
Sheri
Mar 15, 2012 Sheri added it Recommends it for: yes
i loved mac from the start... Sam was a little nerves at first but i grow to love her, always as a character..... i love the story because too many people lie..
Jessica
I thought the characters were flat and rather ridiculous. While the sentiment was sweet, the story crossed my (rather loose) lines of acceptable story reality.
Wendy
3 1/2 stars. I thought the immediate connection b/w Mac and Sam was forced but I enjoyed their self discovery during their week together. Nice ending too.
Toni Aleo
i have been reading alot of Carly Pillips lately, but this was by far her best book. I loved it, the characters where amazing the book was perfect. I loved it!
Kristie
This was kinda lame. I'm not into romance novels by nature but I'm trying. I think if we didn't know both secrets we would have been better off.
Jeanine
the rating says it all. it was horrible. awful even. so sad because i usually like her books, but this was just too bad to continue.
Saral
The only thing that was good about this book was the backcover.
Katy
Cute fun read. Predictable, but gotta love carly phillips.
Kendall
Very quick and steamy read. I love Carly Phillips!
Christie
One of my favs! VERY GOOD READ and very good story line!
Tiffany
again ok book, I liked the characters, good light read
Emily Higgins
A fun read. The romance is improbable, but enjoyable.
Kelly
would be okay for trashy beach read.
Tatiana
Typical Harlequin romance.
meh....it was okay....
  • Santa, Baby
  • The Seductive One (Marcelli, #3)
  • Skintight (Showgirls #1)
  • Knock Me Off My Feet
  • Naughty or Nice?
  • A Little Less Talk and a Lot More Action
  • There Goes the Bride (Wedding Veil Wishes, #1)
  • Lola Carlyle Reveals All
  • Hot Summer Nights (Bluebonnet, #2.5) (Serendipity, #3.5) (Hope, #0.5)
  • On The Move (NASCAR, #6)
  • Truth or Dare
  • First Comes Love (Hot Water, California #1)
  • Breakfast in Bed (Domestic Gods, #3)
New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Carly Phillips N.Y. Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Carly Phillips has written over 40 sexy contemporary romance novels that today's readers identify with and enjoy. After a successful 15 year career with various New York publishing houses, Carly is making the leap to Indie author, with the goal of giving her readers more books at a faster pac...more
More about Carly Phillips...
Hot Stuff (Hot Zone, #1) Hot Number (Hot Zone, #2) The Bachelor (Chandler Brothers, #1) Serendipity (Serendipity, #1) The Playboy (Chandler Brothers, #2)