Start by marking “Brazen” as Want to Read:
Brazen

Brazen

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,953 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Samantha Reed is willing to settle into marriage as a trophy wife to a wealthy older man--if it will help her aging father pay off his debts. But not before having her first, last and only fling--cramming a lifetime's worth of lust into one weekend with the first available guy she finds. And when her car breaks down near a roadside tavern, she sets her sights on the sexy b ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Harlequin Books (first published June 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Brazen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brazen

A Lot like Love by Julie JamesBreaking Point by Pamela ClareHead Over Heels by Jill ShalvisShadowfever by Karen Marie MoningFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
Top 3 Romance Reads - 2011
202nd out of 613 books — 1,101 voters
Party Girl by Rachel HollisBet Me by Jennifer CrusieFirst Grave on the Right by Darynda JonesVision in White by Nora RobertsWhat I Did for Love by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Awesome Shoes
49th out of 116 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrea Guy
Mar 25, 2010 Andrea Guy rated it it was amazing
Carly Phillips is an author that always delivers a good story. Brazen was Carly's first book for the Temptation line and its been reissued on Harlequin's HQN imprint, so that everyone can read it, and its worth revisiting. I was a bit surprised that it was a Blaze Temptation, as the sex didn't really take a front and center part in the story until the second half of the book. That didn't make the story any less steamy though.

Sammy Jo was the kind of heroine I really love. She's hard working, she
Petra Grayson
Nov 13, 2012 Petra Grayson rated it really liked it
I tend to like Carly Phillips for a nice escape book so when I saw this one at the library book sale I had to pick it up. It was originally published in 1999. I found the premise a little disturbing: Samantha is going to marry a wealthy older man to pay off her father's debts but first she's going to have a fling. Reading the back cover, I got the impression that she was a virgin and wanted to lose her virginity to her choice of partner before marrying this other guy, but the book does imply tha ...more
Taylor Fenner
Here's my summary: Samantha Reed decides to have one last fling before she finds herself married to a much older man she knows that she will never love. The marriage is one of convenience to get her stockbroker father out of debt. What she doesn't count on is meeting Ryan "Mac" Mackenzie in the Arizona desert. The sexy bartender is keeping a secret of his own: he's not really a bartender, but the rich owner of a nearby resort. The two begin a steamy week long affair. What neither of them expect ...more
★¸. • * ° * ༺*Blanka*༺*°°*•.¸. ♥★

Samantha Reed is willing to settle into marriage as a trophy wife to a wealthy older man—if it will help her aging father pay off his debts. But not before having her first, last and only fling—cramming a lifetime's worth of lust into one weekend with the first available guy she finds. And when her car breaks down near a roadside tavern, she sets her sights on the sexy bartender—Mac Mackenzie…the perfect man for her love-him-and-leave-him fantasy.

Only, it never occurs to Samantha that she might
Anita
Dec 29, 2012 Anita rated it it was amazing
This is my first Carly Phillips book and I loved it. Normally I would never read a Harlequin book, but I have found that a little candy can really perk up your life. Sam is going to marry someone she doesn't love and barely likes to save her father from financial ruin, earn his love and keep a promise to her mother. She is looking to get laid and finds Mac. He is willing to accomdate her, but he finds himself drawn to her on a deeper level. He is gun shy due to the fact that he is rich and has o ...more
Kshydog
Mar 11, 2015 Kshydog rated it it was ok
Understood Sammy Jo's need to help her father's debts but had a hard time with her overall need for family appreciation. Liked Mac and his sense of what is right, taking their relationship slow and with respect.
Sassy
Nov 26, 2014 Sassy added it
Really liked. Now the love scenes are better while the story bait more dull. But I liked it good quick read
Susan
Jun 11, 2014 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carly Phillips never disappoints with her hot and spicy romance novels. This one takes place in Arizona.
Carrie Hinkel-Gill
After I finished Under the Boardwalk by Carly Phillips, I found myself in the mood to read another one of her books, so I chose this one because, in all honesty, it's another short one.

Even though this is another romance novel, it didn't disappoint. I got sucked in.

While I'm not typically a fan of romances of this style, I couldn't really complain about it. As this was her first book, her typically comedic/playful banter wasn't as strong as in subsequent novels, but this story was done well.

A
ROBIN LAIDMAN
Fun....Cute. Fast Read.
Susan
Nov 27, 2010 Susan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Almost ashamed to admit that I finished this book, it has such good reviews here and at amazon, but it was utter trash. I kept reading thinking that it would miraculously turn around and amaze me, but it just completely failed to do so. The heroine was so stupid that she'd have been dead before the book got off to a start and the whole premise of the story was utterly unbelievable. Not sure if I'll ever pick up another Carly Phillips book again.

Char (1RadReader59)
May 10, 2012 Char (1RadReader59) rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. The characters where fun as well as all the supporting ones. Samantha is one of two main characters. She has a fun filled week planned for herself before she settles for a life she really is not looking forward to. Her car breaks down & she ends up up walking into a bar & meets Mac & her whole life changes. But, both have secrets lurking that could change the course if their lives. So worth reading to find out what goes on.
Pam H
Mar 18, 2015 Pam H rated it really liked it
Shelves: k, rich, 2x, z2014
Samantha Reed is out to have a final fling before she marries her rich boss as a means to bail her father out of debt. Her rental car breaks down in the Arizona desert and after a barefooted trek, wanders into Bear's bar when she meets Mac the bartender. Mac finds her company amusing but is guarded enough that he decides not to tell her he is just doing his buddy Bear a favor and that he really is the owner of a very successful resort.
Kelly
Dec 29, 2007 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, 2007
Picked it up to read before bed and ended up reading it all the way through. Classic romance, but engrossing because you really begin to like the characters. Mac thinks of himself as tough or jaded, but he is really a nice guy and a good friend. Samantha has always been the good girl desperate for her parents' love, and now she is willingly marrying a rich man to fix the financial ruin of her father.
LL
Mar 02, 2013 LL rated it really liked it
"If you want something, go after it. If you don't, you really don't want it that bad."

"We've all got choices. You make the right one."

"Mac, I would have liked 'forever', even in a little apartment over a bar..."

This is what I love about Carly Phillips and Harlequin Novels! The right tug to the heart, the teary-eyed moments and of course, the happy endings. :)
Barb
Jul 18, 2012 Barb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Can a relationship that began with lies, overcome the test of time? Usually not. But when the lies began with real down to earth reasons, and good ones at that, were they able to overcome this test? Your heart goes out to both Mac and Sam as they wade through their emotions. Fortunately, us, the readers know their deepest secrets.
Jen
May 28, 2015 Jen rated it really liked it
one of my biggest disappointments when I read a book is when there is no epilogue. especially when the book ends right when the couple reconciles and doesnt continue at least a chapter of them settled. I really liked this book but was left with wanting. I needed more of the after.
Colleen
Oct 13, 2008 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Carly Phillips is hit or miss for me. I can never tell with her books - sometimes I love them and other times, not so much. I really enjoyed the story between Mac and Samantha. It was a contemporary fairy tale! A fast read as well so it doesn't take much of your time.
Alyssa Edmonds
Feb 04, 2012 Alyssa Edmonds rated it it was amazing
Carly Phillips did it again. She keep me intrigued to keep reading her book and sitting on the edge of my seat until the very end. I wish this book would've been a apart of a series because I would definitely love another book on Mac & Sam's lives. AMAZING! AMAZING JOB!
Jodi
Oct 26, 2014 Jodi rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
I finished the book. That was my accomplishment. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I bought this book. This was so cheesy, predictable and very shallow character development. But I normally don't buy this genre so I may just be a poor judge.
Mary
Jul 12, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
Ah, Mac and Samantha, I miss them already. The hard and fast fall with a good story to stand on. A passionate man and determined heroine. Perspectives and misunderstandings understood but no less heart wrenching.
Dec 16, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This was a cute, easy to read, fluff story. It was fairly predictable but that was ok. It did not require me to think and was enjoyable for that reason, plus that it had the happily ever after ending.
Blaire
Nov 27, 2011 Blaire rated it it was amazing
This one just became my favorite Carly Phillips book!! Funny, sexy, easy read!
Sheri
Mar 15, 2012 Sheri added it
Recommends it for: yes
i loved mac from the start... Sam was a little nerves at first but i grow to love her, always as a character..... i love the story because too many people lie..
Jessica
May 08, 2011 Jessica rated it it was ok
I thought the characters were flat and rather ridiculous. While the sentiment was sweet, the story crossed my (rather loose) lines of acceptable story reality.
Wendy
Feb 04, 2012 Wendy rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars. I thought the immediate connection b/w Mac and Sam was forced but I enjoyed their self discovery during their week together. Nice ending too.
Toni Aleo
Feb 05, 2010 Toni Aleo rated it it was amazing
i have been reading alot of Carly Pillips lately, but this was by far her best book. I loved it, the characters where amazing the book was perfect. I loved it!
Kristie
Dec 20, 2012 Kristie rated it it was ok
This was kinda lame. I'm not into romance novels by nature but I'm trying. I think if we didn't know both secrets we would have been better off.
Jeanine
Dec 27, 2012 Jeanine rated it did not like it
the rating says it all. it was horrible. awful even. so sad because i usually like her books, but this was just too bad to continue.
Saral
Sep 14, 2010 Saral rated it it was ok
The only thing that was good about this book was the backcover.
  • Solitary Man
  • Santa, Baby
  • Just for Kicks (Showgirls, #2)
  • A Little Less Talk and a Lot More Action
  • Lola Carlyle Reveals All
  • To The Limit (NASCAR, #4)
  • The Marcelli Princess (Marcelli, #5)
  • Gone With the Nerd (Nerds, #4)
  • Here Comes Trouble
  • Public Displays of Affection
  • Truth or Dare (Brava Girlfriends, #1-3)
  • Tangled Up in Love (Chicks with Sticks #1)
New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Carly Phillips N.Y. Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Carly Phillips has written over 40 sexy contemporary romance novels that today's readers identify with and enjoy. After a successful 15 year career with various New York publishing houses, Carly is making the leap to Indie author, with the goal of giving her readers more books at a faster pac ...more
More about Carly Phillips...