Start by marking “The Best Victim” as Want to Read:
The Best Victim

The Best Victim

You don’t deserve to live.

The ugly words delivered online finally hit their mark. The younger sister of web security specialist Lauren Miller took the taunts to heart—and took her own life. Devastated, introverted Lauren has nowhere else to turn but the arms of a man who shares a similar pain…and a burning need for vengeance.

FBI agent Brent Durant is determined to unmask t
Published April 22nd 2014 by Montlake Romance (first published November 26th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Victim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Victim

Linda Strong
Feb 10, 2016 Linda Strong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Lauren has just received the phone call that her younger sister has committed suicide.

Brent Durant shows up on her doorstep with a wild tale. He presents himself as an FBI Agent, but that's not entirely the truth. He has this fantastic tale of someone who literally talks young beautiful blond women into killing themselves.

And he wants Lauren's help. Actually he wants her hacking skills to track down this particular predator. All the blonde victims were involved in some sort of situation that s
Jennifer Veer-Boyes
Little confusing

I found this book to be a little confusing. It was a good plot but I think it could've been better written.

Not one of my favorites.
Colleen
Sep 19, 2016 Colleen rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. It was a good suspense that kept me guessing till the end. I wish I could get more on audio.
Lark Howard
Apr 30, 2014 Lark Howard rated it it was amazing
I received this book from the author for an honest review.

From the horrifying call that informs Lauren her sister has committed suicide, Colleen Thompson takes the reader on a rollercoaster ride that never lets up.

Lauren is reeling from the news of her sister's death, not able to believe she would take her own life. Enter Brent, a former FBI agent posing as an officer on the case, who tells her he believes her sister was murdered hoping to convince her to use her hacking skills to find a predato
Barbara Sissel
Mar 02, 2014 Barbara Sissel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What makes THE BEST VICTIM stand out among other romantic suspense novels (and, honestly, this is true of all of Colleen Thompson’s novels) are the characters, Brent Durant, the strong, likeable, but obsessed FBI agent and Lauren Miller, the brilliant and beautiful but introverted computer geek, and then there’s Jiminez, the multi-layered and mysterious detective. These three come together to resolve a heartbreaking series of deaths that have one thing in common … the victims are all women and ...more
Joan
Feb 04, 2014 Joan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from the author for an honest review.
I am loved this book. Colleen has written another great romantic suspense story. My heart ached for both Lauren and Brent because of the losses that they havd incurred thanks to the "troll".
Lauren and Brent developed into people that I really wish that I knew. They are broken but not down and out. They are survivors that grew into their own relationship working side by side during this hunt. They are learned new things about themselves, a
Linda Rimer-Como
This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. You are kept guessing throughout this incredible murder mystery. The relationship that develops between Lauren and Brent is well written but not rushed, as they come to terms with their losses and learn to trust one another. The storyline has suspense, murders and a growing romance that keeps you enthralled from beginning to end. Loved this book and Colleen Thompson's way with the written word.

Received copy for review
Gail Ofterdinger-Ledgister
Jan 16, 2015 Gail Ofterdinger-Ledgister rated it really liked it
Up to the minute plot material and cyber-stalking and internet monkey business through this character and the FBI man who tries to help her together. I enjoyed this read. I can see it coming up as a TV or movie project in the near future. We just got a letter in the mail today that there is an unauthorized transaction on our credit card. This book could not be more timely. My thanks to the author and Goodreads for a complimentary copy.
Pam Batchelor
Jan 29, 2014 Pam Batchelor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book to read and review. I have never read a serial... I was truly addicted to the book and wanted more.. But had to wait each week... Which def. helped my household chores and other things..
Liked the book and the characters.. There were sometimes that I felt a bit lost and had to go back to Reread, but I thoroughly enjoyed the book and would try a serial again.
Sheryl
Couldn't bring myself to care enough about the characters to finish the book. Made it to just under a third of the way through. Nothing particularly bad about it but nothing particularly good about it either. Didn't feel like "pushing" myself to finish it. There are too many other books on my "to read" list for me to bother.
Susan Marie Anderson
I felt it was worth reading

It had a good mix of mystery suspense, romance and drama. It was easy and light to read. Only thing that would have given it five stars for me would be if all these elements were amped up a little more.
Suze
Mar 05, 2016 Suze rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE BEST VICTIM

The story kept me interested, the characters were likeable. I thought the plot of the story was a little strange, people being goaded into killing themselves seems very odd to me.
Bernette Beals
Aug 17, 2015 Bernette Beals rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Best Victim review

The Best Victim is a psychological suspense thriller written by author Colleen Thompson. The plot is somewhat slow to develop, but overall a good story.
Tawanda Brown
May 14, 2016 Tawanda Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing

I enjoyed this novel a lot more than I thought I would. The characters were believable and the author kept the right amount of suspense in the mix.
Sue Berogan
Dec 28, 2013 Sue Berogan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Attention getter

I am very I intrigued as to where th books are going. Just when you think you have things figured out it takes a turn.
Nicole
I didn't really feel that the end of this book delivered the payoff that the set up required. I was underwhelmed with the explanation for what happened throughout the book.
Heather Flaigg
Sep 21, 2014 Heather Flaigg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-reads
I received this book as good-reads giveaway!

This book was a true Mystery had me guessing the whole book! I will read more from her!
Frank Armijo
Frank Armijo rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2014
Margarette Michel
Margarette Michel rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2014
gilda champion
gilda champion rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Tabatha
Tabatha rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2014
Stacey
Stacey rated it it was ok
Sep 12, 2016
Kevin McKinley
Kevin McKinley rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2016
michelle lane
michelle lane rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Aushe
Aushe rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Patricia A Huettl
Patricia A Huettl rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Mary Holly
Mary Holly rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Payback (Otter Creek Book 5)
  • Love Out of Order
  • Worth Dying For (Slaughter Creek, #3)
  • Deadly Force (Southern California Violent Crimes Taskforce, #3)
  • Let Sleeping Dogs Lie
  • Her Master Defender (Masters Men, #1)
  • Wanting (PAVAD: FBI Romantic Suspense, #2)
  • If You Ever Tell
  • Money Shot
  • Reason To Believe (Believe Trilogy, #2)
  • Killer Charms
  • Prayer for the Dead
  • Noise
  • Cold Case Cop
  • 40
  • In The Name Of The Father
  • Last Words (Last #2; John Mancini #12)
  • Sanctuary Lost (WITSEC Town #1)
In 2004, Colleen Thompson's first romantic thriller, Fatal Error, launched Dorchester Publishing's new line of fast-paced, steamy romantic suspense. The book was nominated for the RITA Award for Best Romantic Suspense and won the Texas Gold for Best Mainstream Fiction. Other honors received by her books include a starred review from Publisher's Weekly, nominations from the Reviewers International ...more
More about Colleen Thompson...

“ME’s bound to rule your sister’s death a suicide, Ms. Miller. I know how hard it is to accept—” Anger roaring in her ears, Lauren slapped her palms hard against the cushions as she pushed herself to her feet. “You’re with the FBI, right? So why are you even here, if all you’re going to do is feed me the cops’ regurgitated bullshit?” “I was called” 1 likes