Start by marking “The Last River Rat: Kenny Salwey's Life in the Wild” as Want to Read:
The Last River Rat: Kenny Salwey's Life in the Wild

The Last River Rat: Kenny Salwey's Life in the Wild

Kenny Salwey is a modern-day American hermit who has lived most of his life in the Mississippi river bottoms, coming to know the river ecosystem with an intimacy unavailable to most. Now, Kenny shares his love of, and knowledge about, the mighty river. The Last River Rat is a seasonal look at Kenny’s unique life. Each chapter covers a month of Kenny’s year and starts by de ...more
Published September 25th 2005 by Voyageur Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Last River Rat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last River Rat

Rebecca Burke
Jan 25, 2013 Rebecca Burke rated it it was amazing
If you have no experience of growing up on and around rivers, you may not grok this small masterpiece of nature writing. And that's a shame (for you in re: your impoverished life). Those of us who know, or used to know, a lot about rivers have probably run into folks like Kenny Salwey, the hero in this book. He and his kind believe the term "River Rat" is an honorific. I do too, even more so after devouring this wonderful book.

The Last River Rat is a pure joy to read, funny as hell in places, bu
Daniel
Nov 28, 2007 Daniel rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A one-year "diary" of living the life of a "river rat" in the backwaters of the Mississippi River.

Broken down first by month, and then each month having three parts, 1)River Rat Almanac, 2) Scott Bestul's report on what he learns from Kenny during that month, 3) Kenny's Tale. Each is interesting in its own way, but Scott's narration is direct and honest and brings the reader right to the Whitman Swamp with him.

An engaging read, interesting, and dare I say, unique in so many ways. Better, I think
Chris
Apr 08, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the sections of this book that Kenny Salwey wrote himself. The sections that were written by Scott Bestul were ok, but they seemed to have a little bit of hero worship in them.

Kenny's writing have really motivated me to move my family and career onto Iowa's east coast, and the Mississippi. I always love spending time on the river when i was younger, and I lookforward to getting back there.

I am looking forward to reading the follow-up to this book that Kenny wrote himself. I have
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Nathan Ranallo
Nathan Ranallo rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
Tony Milene
Tony Milene marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Ryan McCauley
Ryan McCauley marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Jessica Jeys
Jessica Jeys rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Steve Hill
Steve Hill marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Zach Howard
Zach Howard marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Mary Jo Flicek
Mary Jo Flicek rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2015
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Jace
Jace rated it it was ok
May 14, 2015
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2015
Chad Pappas
Chad Pappas rated it liked it
May 05, 2015
Gavin
Gavin added it
Jan 20, 2016
Colin
Colin rated it really liked it
kevin
kevin rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2015
Ben
Ben rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
Brock
Brock added it
Jacob
Jacob rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Nevaeh Roe
Nevaeh Roe is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2015
Mckenna
Mckenna rated it really liked it
Myah
Myah is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2015
Elena Schierholz
Elena Schierholz rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2016