Start by marking “Life Is Like A Walking Safari” as Want to Read:
Life Is Like A Walking Safari

Life Is Like A Walking Safari

Jill Paris realized at a young age that if she waited for “someone special” to take her away to far-off destinations, she’d have never left the sofa. In this volume of travel essays she reveals her curious sense of adventure and shows us that an unexpected encounter is often the best souvenir.

From attending a couple of strangers’ wedding reception in Belfast, shopping for
Published May 8th 2013 by Thought Catalog

To ask other readers questions about Life Is Like A Walking Safari, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Is Like A Walking Safari

Sandra Heinzman
I enjoyed this quick read book, which I read for the Women's AdventureTravel Book Club on Facebook. The author, Jill Paris, would be fun to travel with, I think, except I couldn't keep up with her drinking, lol! She always seems to find adventures on her travels and meets and makes friends easily. I admire her spirit for just deciding to take a trip somewhere and then just going! Her writing style is very engaging and made me feel like I could see what her words described. She made me laugh, ...more
Sally
Dec 28, 2014 Sally rated it it was amazing
What a delight! You've never read anything quite like Jill Paris. One minute she's making you laugh out loud, the next she's taken your breath away with some small, poignant moment that perfectly captures the foolishness or courage or hope or wonder of being human. Example of the funny: Jill in the throes of an ill-advised Parisian adventure with a couple of party girls half her age, whose insistence that she is "hot" makes her compare herself to "a chicken that's been taken out of the oven and ...more
Gary Buslik
Jun 08, 2014 Gary Buslik rated it it was amazing
This is a fun, smart read—a look into the human spirit that just happens to be about traveling. Paris's insights might never leave home and still be as witty and engaging.

Paris loves language and has a way with imagery:

"Somebody passed a spliff, and soon the smoky air became like another passenger along for the ride."

"The girl is plain...with a marching freckle parade across her turned-up nose."

She also loves a good—though often subtle—laugh:

"I felt like knitting him a sweater or something
Naomi Zener
Jul 02, 2014 Naomi Zener rated it really liked it
My newest source of inspiration is Jill Paris. I lead a regimented, yet boisterous existence thanks to a toddler and baby, who've anchored me to a sedentary life. After reading Jill's humourously and human rendering of the importance to jump at chances and lead a life fully explored to the four corners of the globe, I'm inspired to bite the bullet, carry my babes in arms, and seek out adventure with them. Bravo!
Bill Spencer
Jan 24, 2015 Bill Spencer rated it it was amazing
These stories brought back awesome and vivid memories of when I was travelling through Europe and Northern Africa solo in the 70's. Good job Ms. Paris of reminding me of the crazy, spontaneous and unforgettable experiences of travelling. You also have a way of describing events and people that makes the motionless page come alive.
Chelsea
Jan 04, 2015 Chelsea rated it it was ok
Very short, quick read. While the topics seemed to be interesting I found each "mini-essay" to bee too short for me to get attached. I would have loved to read longer pieces with more details.
Sharry Miller
Dec 04, 2014 Sharry Miller rated it liked it
Life is a Walking Safari is a fun, quick read that provides a glimpse of interactions with the world which shaped who Jill Paris is.
Pat
Apr 21, 2014 Pat rated it it was amazing
Great travel stories that are original, hysterical at times, unpredictable and beautifully told. Thoroughly enjoyed this read.
Rosie
Apr 24, 2014 Rosie rated it really liked it
Loved the Orkney Islands story so much I have decided to organise a solo holiday of my own. Humorous and inspiring on so many levels.
Amber
Jan 28, 2016 Amber rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, travel, 2014
I enjoyed Jill's travel stories - they are beautifully told and entertaining. Makes me want to travel!
Kristy McCaffrey
Jan 07, 2015 Kristy McCaffrey rated it really liked it
Each chapter is a short essay about Paris' travel experiences. Funny and insightful, I found this collection entertaining and moving. I definitely recommend!
Tigerlily
Aug 01, 2014 Tigerlily rated it really liked it
This is a really fun read, and you'll love the voice of the narrator. Not only do you get to travel around the world, but a charming companion will lead the way. Good times!
TC_Books
TC_Books rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2015
Dora Hernandez
Dora Hernandez rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Mogriffin123
Mogriffin123 rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Gemma
Gemma rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Ron See
Ron See rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Mark Perkins
Mark Perkins rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Aidan
Aidan rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Kinnon
Kinnon rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Jonna
Jonna rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2014
Meaghan
Meaghan rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Elaine Spottiswoode
Elaine Spottiswoode rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Abby Halberg
Abby Halberg rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2014
Fiona
Fiona rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

“Maybe life is like a walking safari. If you venture out expecting lions and leopards all the time you’ll almost always never find them. Maybe the best things are the ones you never knew you wanted to see. The ones that, scary as they may seem, were just the things you needed to unleash reality.

I’d selfishly written my story before even reaching Africa. I’d romanticized scenarios, fabricated settings, invented fantastical dialogue, and almost overlooked the lesson I’d been sent to learn – to live life on foot and not in my head, with fearlessness, presence, without expectation, and above all, with gratitude.”
1 likes