Start by marking “One at a Time: A Week in an American Animal Shelter” as Want to Read:
One at a Time: A Week in an American Animal Shelter

One at a Time: A Week in an American Animal Shelter

Half the households in America include an animal companion. Yet, each year, community shelters take in six to eight million unwanted dogs and cats who face an uncertain fate. With compelling photos and moving vignettes, this book chronicles the true stories of 75 animals who entered a typical U.S. animal shelter during one week witnessed and documented by the authors.
Published May 1st 2007 by No Voice Unheard (first published December 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about One at a Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One at a Time

Cristina
Apr 29, 2008 Cristina rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone with a heart! People who love animals
I think everyone needs to read this book, it shows the heart breaking stories of animals. I feel so bad, these animals have feelings, sadly most are put to sleep because there is not enough room. Some dogs are put to sleep for being to old and there "adoptability" is lower than others, an old dog should be in someone's house enjoying their golden years. It makes me so proud that i rescued my two dogs!
Sheila
Mar 18, 2008 Sheila rated it really liked it
Shelves: dog-books
As an ex-animal control officer I can say that this book gives an absolutely true look at a week inside an animal shelter. The good, bad, happy, and totally heartbreaking. I wish more people would consider giving a shelter animal a home.
Beth
Feb 07, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
This book paints a good picture of an average week at an animal shelter, which, as you can imagine, isn't pretty. Including a picture of barrels of dead dogs and cats. I applaud it for bringing the realities of the shelter situation to the public, but I think that the authors are misguided on how to fix the situation. If you read this, it should definitely be read as a companion to Redemption: The Myth of Pet Overpopulation and the No Kill Revolution in America by Nathan J. Winograd.
Melanie
Dec 04, 2012 Melanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
"People sometimes ask, in light of the devastating and important issues that face us in our modern times, why the homeless animal issue is important, why we should be concerned about it...The homeless animal problem is a reflection of a society that has lost touch with other living beings, with the natural world, and with the very web of life. It is but one tragic symptom of a culture that does not see its connections to others, does not see others as having inherent value, and instead sees them ...more
Nikk
Dec 07, 2008 Nikk rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Animals lovers and animal activists
Recommended to Nikk by: Came up on search in library...
This book actually made me very sad, which was the point of the book - and that's hopefully what anyone who reads it will feel. It was basically an affirmation of what I already know - I want to open an animal rescue one day and I want to make a difference in animals lives. This book begs people to want that, and I hope it inspires many. Mass euthanasia has to stop. Pet owners have to become more responsible, and animal cruelty must end. There are some very powerful stories/photographs in this b ...more
Jeannie
Sep 15, 2008 Jeannie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who cares for animals
Everyone should read this book!! It was heartbreaking reading about and seeing the reality of our throw-away society which unfortunately includes our pets.I became more involved with our local shelter after reading this book, a real eye-opener. Warning..keep a box of kleenex handy.
Ken Do
Jul 23, 2007 Ken Do rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dogs/Cats lover
A documentary of abandoned dogs and cats in America and their lives in American animal shelter. This book documents human irresponsibility which leads to the killing of dogs and cats daily in American animal shelters.
Suzze Tiernan
Jun 17, 2008 Suzze Tiernan rated it really liked it
You cannot help but be touched by this book. Very hard to see the reality of what happens at even the best animal rescue shelters.
Sue
May 20, 2008 Sue rated it it was amazing
A really good look at the types of animals left at shelters and what happens to them. Any animal lover should read this book.
Louzilla
Jan 30, 2011 Louzilla rated it it was amazing
Most people think of animal shelters as safe havens for companion animals, and some don't even know that buying from pet stores or breeders is wrong, but this book does a wonderful job of showing the heartbreaking reality and bringing to light the major problems of pet overpopulation we face in our society. By giving names and faces to individual animals who come to the shelter, even if they are going straight to the euthanasia room, the authors show us identifiable lives rather than just statis ...more
Peacegal
Dec 01, 2010 Peacegal rated it really liked it
In the mess of statistics that arise from our nation’s animal sheltering system, the individual animals’ stories are often lost. One at a Time attempts to correct this by profiling all of the cats and dogs who pass through a single animal shelter over the course of a week. As one can imagine, not all of the stories have happy endings, and the reader is forced to ponder the consequences of not placing ID tags on pets, allowing animals to have litters, and breed prejudice. (Consider the sad case o ...more
Aspasia
Apr 29, 2013 Aspasia rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, animals
The authors spent a week at a typical animal shelter in northern California. They met an assortment of animals: ferals, strays, owner turnins, puppies, kittens, etc. The book features a collection of photographs and short bios of some of the animals. Some of the stories have a happy ending and some do not. A sad book overall but what really grabs your attention is the photo of the euthanized animals in the 55-gallon drums. Maybe if more people saw that in person they wouldn't be so quick to turn ...more
Lorraine
Nov 30, 2015 Lorraine rated it liked it
Jill
Jul 20, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: animal-rescue
Everyone should read this book. I feel it gives a very accurate portrayal of how the average open-admission shelter operates. Sure some may get more animals, or fewer animals, some may have ties with no-kill shelters, or foster resources...but this is still accurate.

It was difficult to get through, but I feel better for having perservered. We owe it to these animals to see the good, bad and ugly truths.
Christy
May 05, 2013 Christy rated it it was amazing
If I could give this 6 stars I would. If you have a pet, want a pet, or are concerned with the abundance of homeless pets in our society you should read this book. Yes, it is sad, but it is also very compelling on how to keep your own pets safe, how to pick out pets and finally how to possibly help society to help the homeless animals and keep them from becoming homeless.
Margaret
Wonderful book - if you have any compassion for animals at all, you will be touched. I also feel like it is a truthful, realistic account of what really happens in an animal shelter (I'm a volunteer at one). We need to get the kind of information that this book gives out to the general public! Thanks for writing it DianeLeigh & Marilee
Jodi
This book is phenomenal in the way in the simple way it conveys the vital message of the problems of animal shelters in America. I believe it should be read by anyone who has decision-making capacity in the funding of animal shelters, as well as shelter volunteers and workers.
Angel
Aug 27, 2012 Angel rated it really liked it
i needed kleenex for this one! this book hit close to home for me....years working in animal welfare brought these stories and pictures to life. Beautiful, broken and perfect.
Cheryl
Mar 30, 2009 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
A well written, well researched expose on the lives of shelter animals. It's a sad one, but, hopefully, will make people realize they need to be more responsible owners.
Sue
Jan 17, 2009 Sue rated it it was amazing
Inspiring, heartbreaking and an important read for all animal lovers! Sure makes me proud that our house is populated with rescued animals!!
Heather
Sep 16, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing
Should be mandatory reading for all pet owners!!!!
Jen
Jul 13, 2009 Jen rated it it was amazing
Please read if you enjoy crying uncontrollably.
Erin
Jul 17, 2008 Erin rated it it was amazing
Literally "stocked" in my home to give away as gifts.

Powerful.
Betty
Sep 30, 2009 Betty rated it it was amazing
Great!
Susan Walters
Susan Walters marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Joanna West
Joanna West marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Lexie
Lexie marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Hannah Daffinson
Hannah Daffinson marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Alyssa Flisiak
Alyssa Flisiak marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
  • Lost and Found: Dogs, Cats, and Everyday Heroes at a Country Animal Shelter
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
  • Just Gus: A Rescued Dog and the Woman He Loved
  • Shelter Dogs: Amazing Stories of Adopted Strays
  • Shelter Dogs
  • No Dogs in Heaven?: Scenes from the Life of a Country Veterinarian
  • What a Difference a Dog Makes: Big Lessons on Life, Love and Healing from a Small Pooch
  • Blind Hope: An Unwanted Dog and the Woman She Rescued
  • Pawprints of Katrina: Pets Saved and Lessons Learned
  • Redemption: The Myth Of Pet Overpopulation And The No Kill Revolution In America
  • DogTown: Tales of Rescue, Rehabilitation, and Redemption
  • A Rare Breed of Love: The True Story of Baby and the Mission She Inspired to Help Dogs Everywhere
  • Dogs I Have Met: And the People They Found