Start by marking “Hen Hears Gossip” as Want to Read:
Hen Hears Gossip

Hen Hears Gossip

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  84 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Hen hears Pig whisper a secret to Cow ("Psst. Psst. Psst."),
and in no time at all Hen tells Duck ("Psst. Psst. Psst.")
who tells Goose ("Psst. Psst. Psst.")
who tells Turkey ("Psst. Psst. Psst.")
who tells Hen ("Psst. Psst. Psst.")
something not so nice about Hen herself.
"Whhaat?"

Hen is outraged. She's got to figure out who's behind the rumor. But will she discover even more t
Published April 22nd 2008 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Hen Hears Gossip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hen Hears Gossip

Sarah W
Mar 09, 2011 Sarah W rated it really liked it
Hen is always listening to someone else's news and spreading the stories around. The news gets mixed up and soon Hen hears a rumor about herself. The animals trace the story back and find out what really happened. It's similar to an animal game of telephone. The message is a gentler version of Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears.
Amy
Aug 25, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
Content Book

I really like this book. The title says it all: the book focuses on gossip, which is a big issue in schools. The main character is Hen and the story begins with Hen in the barnyard and she sees that Pig whispers something to Cow and that Cow whispers something back to Pig. Hen gets excited because she loves to gossip so she runs off to tell her friend Duck what she overheard. Duck runs to tell Goose, who runs to tell Turkey, who runs to tell Hen. Every message is something different
Tine Martinsen
Oct 25, 2011 Tine Martinsen rated it really liked it
”Hen Hears Gossip” by Megan McDonald is an animated book about barn-animals. I would use this book with children from 3rd to 5th grade. It would be a great way to use this book in a role-play. Where the children could act out the animals and the story, also you could do a game. The whole class could create a big circle, and one student, or maybe the teacher could start whisper something, that they all would pass on to the next person standing beside them, and when it gets to the last person find ...more
Dolly
Jul 09, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, pets, 2013
We like to read Megan McDonald's books. We love Judy Moody, so when we found this picture book at our local library, we just had to read it.

The fun multimedia illustrations are colorful and have lots of different textures and patterns. The repetitive narrative is likely to entertain younger children. I like the message about how second-hand and third-hand gossip can not only be wrong, but also hurtful. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Christina
Jul 25, 2014 Christina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: summer-2014
I loved this book for rhyming words and a great reminder that rumors spread fast and you need to be careful what you say!
Irina
Feb 13, 2016 Irina rated it really liked it
This is a great book when you are teaching about gossip and how it spreads and who is hurt by it.
Alma Loredo
Dec 01, 2010 Alma Loredo rated it really liked it
Hen loves to gossip. She heard Cow say it to pig. So she went off to spread the gossip. Each time it was told to someone else it was something different. Eventually it started going back the way it was said because the animals began to realize it was not true. Then Hen asked Cow why she said the gossip but comes to find out that she was happy because her baby calf was born. I think this gives students a valuable lesson about gossip.
Rakisha
Aug 22, 2009 Rakisha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: k-2-read-alouds
Cooper Elementary
Mar 16, 2011 Cooper Elementary rated it really liked it
Hen is always listening to someone else's news and spreading the stories around. The news gets mixed up and soon Hen hears a rumor about herself. The animals trace the story back and find out what really happened. It's like an animal game of telephone in this gentler version of the message found in Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears.
Janet
May 30, 2013 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Reading this book is like watching a game of whisper-down-the-lane or telephone. It's a cute idea, as were some of the mistaken lines. I felt like the last half of the book ran rather long (and the text seemed to get longer the further into the book you got). Decent read, but not one I'd want to read over and over again.
Natalie
Jun 24, 2008 Natalie rated it liked it
I'm a fan of the collage style artwork, the appeal of this book is for sure the illustrations. The story plays off of the basic "telephone game" concept. It's a tad confusing for the kids to follow at first, but bits and pieces call for laughter.
Rachel
Jul 13, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
So cute! All the animals misunderstand each other when they repeat what they think they heard. Loved the illustrations. The kids thought the book was funny and when they're older the book will have more meaning for them.
Kaye
Jul 07, 2010 Kaye rated it really liked it
Hen is a spreader of gossip, but so is the rest of the barnyard. Preschoolers understand this story, for the most part, but it would be better for a family storytime with some kids that are in kindergarten-first grade.
Jennie
Jul 02, 2009 Jennie added it
Recommends it for: K-2
Recommended to Jennie by: Marianne Costello
: Barnyard tale of gossiping animals that change the story each time they pass it along. Much like the game “telephone,” this book teaches the results of gossip getting out of hand.
Paula
Dec 30, 2011 Paula rated it liked it

When Hen overhears some news on the farm, she runs to tell Duck, who tells another animal, and as the gossip is repeated from one animal to the next, it becomes unrecognizable.
Denise
Aug 16, 2011 Denise rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
This children's book is a take on the telephone game. A better title would have been, "Hen Eavesdrops!" The moral lesson to avoid gossip is conspicuously absent.
aubrey
Jul 15, 2010 aubrey rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
what a cute story of how news gets distorted as it travels from person to person in the form of gossip. a good discussion after reading this with ava.
Irina
Apr 15, 2012 Irina rated it it was amazing
This a very cute and silly book about how gossip can turn into something that isn't even true. The rhyming in this book makes it so much fun!
Lizzie
Aug 06, 2012 Lizzie rated it liked it
Good for having fun language. The message about gossip will go littler one's heads. The ending is a bit different. Fun mixed media illustrations.
Kristina Jean Lareau
The premise of this story is fun, but it is overall too wordy. The illustrations were dynamic, but got lost with the words on every page.
Kim
Apr 06, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it
This little story isn't so much about the dangers of gossip but more about a game of telephone gone bad. Still, pretty cute little story.
Henry&Lily
Oct 22, 2008 Henry&Lily rated it liked it
Love the artwork. The kids weren't in love with it. I would like to send a copy of this book to a few people I know though.
Kati
Jul 22, 2009 Kati rated it it was amazing
great book to read and then talk about why we shouldn't gossip and why it's important to be sure to repeat things accurately.
Lindsey
Mar 03, 2009 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
This book is adorable! The artwork is fabulous, the writing is clever and the message is one we can all appreciate.
The Library Lady
May 21, 2008 The Library Lady rated it liked it
Nothing to rock the world but cute. Even kids who have never played "telephone" will appreciate the joke. .
Anj
Jan 26, 2011 Anj rated it liked it
Shelves: read-aloud-books
No complaints about the book. It was cute. My daughter enjoyed it but it wasn't a favorite.
Mimo
Sep 11, 2008 Mimo rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-kids
Cute book with bright illustrations that teaches the same lesson as the "telephone game".
Tam
Jul 21, 2014 Tam rated it liked it
I had to explain things to my 4-year-old but my 8-year-old understood it.

Anne Broyles
Feb 02, 2009 Anne Broyles rated it really liked it
Cool collage/mixed media art and a story with a fun twist at the end.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
"Sometimes I think I am Judy Moody," says Megan McDonald, author of the Judy Moody series, the Stink series, and THE SISTERS CLUB. "I'm certainly moody, like she is. Judy has a strong voice and always speaks up for herself. I like that."

For Megan McDonald, being able to speak up for herself wasn't always easy. She grew up as the youngest of five sisters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Her father, an
More about Megan McDonald...