Start by marking “When the Wind Blows” as Want to Read:
When the Wind Blows

When the Wind Blows

Spring weather can be exciting!

When wind chimes start singing and clouds race across the sky, one little guy knows just what to do—grab his kite!

But as the kite soars, the wind picks up even more, and soon he and his grandma are chasing the runaway kite into town. As they pass swirling leaves, bobbing boats, and flapping scarves, breezes become gusts and the sky darkens.
Published February 24th 2015 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about When the Wind Blows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Wind Blows

Tasha
Mar 02, 2015 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Head outside on a windy day in this breezy picture book. When the wind chimes start to ring, a family excitedly gets ready to go outside into the fresh air. Together a little boy and his grandmother fly a kite that eventually breaks free and rides off on the wind. The wind blows the grass and flowers. It also sends the sailboats out on the water racing. The wind gets even stronger and a storm moves in with thunder and rain. They head back home into the bright warm lights of the house. There they ...more
Tammy M
1. Listen to the first page of When the Wind Blows. "When the wing blows, windows rattle, doors creeaaak, chimes sing, we peak. What sounds might you hear on a windy day? Let us preview the pictures of our book. What do you notice? What do you think our title of the story might tell us?

2. I've sparked interest by engaging listeners with the language, I'm also demonstrating using the illustrations, and inviting the students to consider the meaning of the title.

3. I chose this book because it was
Laura Salas
Apr 02, 2015 Laura Salas rated it really liked it
Lovely book about a building storm and the joy and energy of strong weather! The action words and sounds are fantastic--what fun this would be to act out with kids, and to have them add sound effects. The art has a slightly smeary, dreamy, watercolory look, and it's beautiful. Even though floors groan, windows whistle, and thunder BOOMS, it all comes to a beautiful, safe ending:

Skies clear.
Stars gleam.
Earth sleeps.
We dream.

Enchanting.
Samantha
Lyrical verse describes spring scenes and warm gusts of wind. Pencil sketches and mixed media artwork colored digitally gives readers plenty of details to immerse themselves in as they read.

PreK-2.
Liz Todd
Feb 16, 2015 Liz Todd rated it liked it
So, maybe not my thing, but beautiful art and peaceful words. It might even describe my perfect day.
Mary
Apr 22, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
This beautifully illustrated book would be a great addition to storytimes about weather, wind, spring, or kites for younger preschoolers.
Kimberly
Apr 05, 2015 Kimberly rated it really liked it
A little boy extols the virtues of spending a blustery day with his mom and Grandma. Lovely lovely illustrations.
Karen
Apr 10, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
Enjoyable and child friendly rhyming text. Pictures are muted yet you can find the objects discussed in the text.
April
Apr 21, 2015 April rated it really liked it
Love the illustrations and the rhyming verse would make this a great choice for a windy themed storytime.
Kendra
Apr 01, 2015 Kendra rated it really liked it
Beautiful. The language is perfect for conjuring all the senses one experiences during a rain storm.
Erin
Mar 31, 2015 Erin rated it liked it
This book is composed mostly of two word sentences naming an object and what it does or sounds like in the wind.

Great for toddler storytimes.
Daphne
Mar 05, 2015 Daphne rated it really liked it
Gorgeous illustrations, poem-like narrative. Neat.
Edward Sullivan
Feb 20, 2015 Edward Sullivan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Making the most of a wild, windy spring day. Simple rhyming text and lovely illustrations.
Emily Bayci
Mar 13, 2015 Emily Bayci rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
-fun bright electric watercolor illustrations.
-great for a spring/ wind storytime
Brindi
spring picture book....also features a grandma
Elizabeth
Mar 24, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-jp, jp-st-spring
Great art
pati
Mar 13, 2015 pati rated it it was amazing
Wind-erfully colorful, with rhyming text - a wonderfully breezy book!
Kalynda
This picture book focuses on the many effects of wind, as told by a young boy as he explores and interacts with those affects with his mom (or someone who seems to be in that role of mom). The way it is written, simply two-word sentences, noun-verb combinations, really enhances the flowing visual to capture "wind". I also really love how the book focuses on these explorations and interactions through the relationship of a boy and his mother.
Lynn
Rhyming, sparse text describes many affects of the wind.
The bright, colorful illustrations look as if the wind swished across them.
Teachers could use this to introduce a weather unit and have students try to create a list of what the wind does, then read this book.
Allison
Jan 04, 2016 Allison rated it liked it
Pretty pictures but they seem a bit hazy with the artwork (aka not a good candidate for a read-aloud at the library). Perhaps I could use it for a smaller crowd but otherwise I enjoyed the beautiful pictures and the simple poetry.
Nicole
Apr 18, 2016 Nicole rated it really liked it
Book #4 (and final for now) on finding books applicable to easing a student's fear of the wind. I love the simple, catchy rhyming, and it's a cute story. This is more of a light read, but will definitely be reading it together as their fear subsides. The watercolor images are amazing!
Romelle
Jun 30, 2015 Romelle rated it really liked it
I liked the two word, noun-verb, sentences that paint a sensory picture of a windy day as experienced by Grandma and child. Simple yet brings life to the book.
Lizannegruber
May 05, 2015 Lizannegruber rated it it was amazing
I read this for stortime today at my library. I loved how 'windy' the text and artwork matched the story. This book is just darling.
Pamela Hubbard
Gorgeous illustrations and amazing rhythm which made it really fun to read out loud. Lots of things on each page to point out and narrate.
Dewey
Feb 23, 2016 Dewey rated it really liked it
Shelves: st-weather
This is a good rhyming book about weather to read with a toddler or a preschool group. Lots of good sound words for them to hear, and the illustrations are super cute.
Dawn
May 07, 2015 Dawn rated it liked it
A family goes for a walk on a windy day, but makes it home for baths and snuggles before the storm hits.
The pictures are pretty and evocative, and the rhyming text keeps the story moving along.
Jason
Mar 16, 2015 Jason rated it liked it
I sort of like the art and sort of don't. It wavers between too messy and nicely impressionistic. I'n not a fan of rhyming text, so that didn't really appeal to me.
Janae
Janae rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2015
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Dini Dinosaur
  • Raindrops Roll
  • Blue on Blue
  • Who Put the Cookies in the Cookie Jar?
  • Among a Thousand Fireflies