Start by marking “Granny the Pag” as Want to Read:
Granny the Pag

Granny the Pag

Originally abandoned by her actor parents to be raised by her unconventional grandmother, twelve-year-old Cat (Catriona Brooke) wages a spirited campaign against their efforts to regain custody.
Published March 10th 1996 by Clarion Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Granny the Pag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Granny the Pag

Charles
I have decided to read this book again partly because of a distinct sense of nostalgia being aroused in me when I saw the book lying about in my room next to some other almost forgotten books, having had to study 'Granny the Pag' for Form 2 (Saint Aloysius College Malta).

First of all, to her credit Bawden did introduce a new word to the English dictionary (or at least they should include it in my opinion). When Catriona (or Cat as she likes to be called) was still very young and was not at all u
Mrslabraden
Nov 27, 2016 Mrslabraden rated it it was ok
The main character in Granny the Pag is Catriona Brooke. Cat is left with her grandmother when her actor parents decide to tour the country, going from one theater to another. in the beginning, Cat hates the idea, and in her anger, she writes that her grandmother is a pig. At the time however, Cat is too young to know how to spell and writes "Pag" instead of pig. The name sticks and becomes a term of endearment. As Cat is about to turn 13, her parents settle in London, and they decide that they ...more
Cecilia
Aug 02, 2016 Cecilia rated it it was amazing
Beth
Mar 01, 2013 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved The Peppermint Pig and Carrie's War so decided to give this a try. It was okay i suppose but very dated and i was a little bit bored so tried to read it as quick as possible just to get it finished. It was a bit dis-jointed and her parents were just so stupidly over the top and annoying. The only characters i liked a little bit were Tom and Beth who lived next door to Pag. Not the most interesting or compelling book i have ever read and not a patch on The Peppermint Pig.
I definitely woul
Alexis Collins
I feel strongly that I doubt I would make this book a read in my class, unless children wanted to. I just think it may open up options for students, who have a troubled home with their parents, the potential idea that they can go I’ve with someone else. I understand if their home was dangerous, but Cat’s parents were nothing more than eccentric and were not what she was used to.
Debbie Hoskins
I want to be Granny. I flunked the safety motorcycle course a couple of years ago, so it's going to take me awhile to actually learn to ride a motorcycle and then the little issue of being able to afford one.
I love Trina Schart Hyman's cover drawing - true work of art. The story was good, too. Nice relationship between the Granny and the granddaughter.
Catherine  Mustread
Apr 07, 2009 Catherine Mustread rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Grades 5+. Originally abandoned by her actor parents who later attempt to gain custody, Cat wages a spirited campaign to decide her own fate and remain with her grandmother.
Olivia
Jul 08, 2009 Olivia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't remember much about this book, but I remember liking it and the characters. I want to grow up and be Granny the Pag.
Sofi
Feb 11, 2011 Sofi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
really good and shocking
Dheeraj Sharma
Dheeraj Sharma rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2015
Erin Jones
Erin Jones rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2013
Sarah Graham
Sarah Graham rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Janae
Janae rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2009
Marisa
Marisa rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2012
Fish
Fish rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2015
Blythe
Blythe rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Jade
Jade rated it it was ok
May 26, 2014
Nicola
Nicola rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Miranda
Miranda rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2007
Sarah Donaldson
Sarah Donaldson rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2014
Grace
Grace rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2007
Vikesh Godhwani
Vikesh Godhwani rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2014
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2007
M
M rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2011
Mary Alice
Mary Alice rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2017
Clare Hollowell
Clare Hollowell rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Min Zhi
Min Zhi rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2007
Cassie Madsen
Cassie Madsen rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2015
Budgie&DomoFan
Budgie&DomoFan rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Nina Bawden was a popular British novelist and children's writer. Her mother was a teacher and her father a marine.

When World War II broke out she spent the school holidays at a farm in Shropshire along with her mother and her brothers, but lived in Aberdare, Wales, during term time.
Bawden attended Somerville College, Oxford, where she gained a degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics.

Her nove
More about Nina Bawden...