Start by marking “The Cardinal and the Crow” as Want to Read:
The Cardinal and the Crow

The Cardinal and the Crow

All the birds tease old Crow for his scraggly feathers and harsh call, especially proud Cardinal. But when Cardinal gets into trouble, there is only one creature smart enough to get him out. Will Crow choose to help the boastful bird? This thoughtful picture book, inspired by Aesop's fables, reminds us all that 'pride and foolishness often go hand in hand.'
Published February 20th 2015 by Simply Read Books (first published September 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Cardinal and the Crow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cardinal and the Crow

Nov 13, 2016 Beverly rated it really liked it
Based on an Aesop fable.
AbsentLibrarian
Nov 09, 2015 AbsentLibrarian rated it it was ok
I liked the rhythm of the writing, it was nice to read aloud. I wasn't not expecting to like the illustrations based on my lukewarm reaction to the cover, but they suit this story and I admit I ended up liking them.

This book can be used for lessons on bullying and standing up for yourself as well as making the right choice - to help someone, even though they have hurt you.

Con - I rolled my eyes with the 'words of wisdom' from the crow a the end. The idea fit the story but could have been said in
Whole And
An excellent tale to teach children about perception, listening and how making fun of others could backfire. Crow saves caridnal's life despite his constant abuse and taking the lead to have the other birds make fun of him as well. His wisdom proves more powerful than cardinal's pride and foolishness and ultimately all the forest birds see how much respect he deserves. A humbling experience for cardinal and the other's participating in the bully like behaviour.

The book is based on Aespo's Fable
Jenny
May 22, 2016 Jenny rated it really liked it
A cardinal taunts a poor, lonely crow and gets other birds to join him in his mistreatment of Crow. Crow is lonely but does not retaliate, even warning Cardinal to be careful near the bird feeder. Cardinal doesn't heed his advice and finds himself in trouble. Will Crow help him or will he decide cardinal is getting what he deserves? This is a wonderful fable with a great moral: "Pride and foolishness often roost on the same branch." While the illustrations would not typically be my cup of tea, ...more
Lisa Nagel
Mar 24, 2015 Lisa Nagel rated it it was amazing
Found this one thanks to our local indie bookstore. The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous, and the message about teasing, friendship and doing the right thing was picked up on when I read this to our first graders in library today. Also the prideful cat made an impression. So a nice message as well as a beautiful book.
Cheri Linton
Dec 17, 2015 Cheri Linton rated it liked it
Doing the right thing is the main message in the midst of gorgeous illustrations. I found that the text became a little muddled after the cat was tricked. I would have liked the cardinal to voice an admission of how he wronged the crow.
Bethe
bookaday #136. Based on an Aesops fable with the moral: Pride and foolishness often roost on the same branch. Illustrations are uneven, sometimes the birds look really nice, other times they appear amateurish. The cat is weird looking. Wish text had a better layout as well.
Michelle
Love the moral, great illustrations, and I love the how certain parts of text are highlighted through color and larger font.
Paula Hollohan
Jul 06, 2016 Paula Hollohan rated it liked it
Newer take on an old moral. Nice illustrations. A bit of a heavy handed treatment of "pride and foolishness often roost on the same branch..." Grade 3 discussion on bullying.
mg
Jun 30, 2015 mg rated it really liked it
Beautiful book with gorgeous illustrations. Great for kids K-2 as well as storytellers.

"Pride and Foolishness often roost in the same branch."
Tracy Trofimencoff
Tracy Trofimencoff rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
May 14, 2015
Shonna
Feb 17, 2016 Shonna rated it did not like it
Used big words and I didn't like the image of the cat with the bird in his mouth.
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Briony
Briony rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
May 30, 2015
Jessica DiFranco
Jessica DiFranco rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2015
Kevin W
Kevin W rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it it was ok
Jun 10, 2016
Valerie Odette
Valerie Odette rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Monique
Monique rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Keir Bridges
Keir Bridges rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Marilyn Garcia
Marilyn Garcia rated it did not like it
Aug 11, 2015
Deanna
Deanna rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Amy  Korver
Amy Korver rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2016