Start by marking “Gotham Writers' Workshop Fiction Gallery: Exceptional Short Stories Selected by New York's Acclaimed Creative Writing School” as Want to Read:

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A collection of accessible and excellent short fiction hand-picked by the country's most popular writing school.

Each of the stories in Fiction Gallery will hold you spellbound from first to last page, while also exemplifying the very best in literary fiction. Grouped in sections that follow the cycle of life, these stories explore the varied aspects of human existence and
Published August 21st 2004 by Bloomsbury USA

To ask other readers questions about Gotham Writers' Workshop Fiction Gallery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gotham Writers' Workshop Fiction Gallery

Nina Milton
GOTHAM WRITERS' WORKSHOP FICTION GALLERY (Bloomsbury) is a wonderful array of US short stories, each with a summary and author's notes. There are some old favourites, but lots of new (to me) stories too. A definite must for the short story reader.
Cassidy Queerface
This is a great collection of stories. Probably my favorite collection of short stories I've read. I particularly like that they divided them into themes rather than alphabetical by author.
Fran Friel
Aug 14, 2009 Fran Friel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: to lovers of classic short stories, and those seeking to study the basics of writing, story, etc.
Shelves: books-on-writing
Classic short stories for study of multiple styles, POV, voice, etc. A must have companion to the Gotham Writers' Guide.
Emily
This is one of the most inspiring short story collections I own.
Thomas
Incredibly helpful, as an introduction and a reference book.
Emily Thompson
A great collection.
Francisco Becerra
A fine collection of amazing short stories. A must.
Sharry Miller
I've never been a big fan of short stories. It always feels like the stories are ending just as I'm getting to know the characters. Gotham Writers' Workshop, however, put together a collection well worth reading. I picked it up as a way to study the format and structure of short stories, but I found myself enjoying reading one or two before bed. It's an interesting and eclectic collection.
Teddy
I've never really read collections of short stories before, so this was great. Its some of the best published short stories, and it was very helpful to me in my own writing process of my short story.
David Sheets
If you want great examples of short stories to help cultivate your own writing style, read this collection. This is how writing should be done. The rest of us can only hope to do as well.
Don
Sep 24, 2008 Don marked it as to-read
Holy Moses! I went to put the other Gotham book away, and found this on my shelf--forgot that I'd bought this some time ago, also on the cheap, at the campus store.
Dhruv
frequent travel has made me rediscover the short story...odd that literary form that is actually quite dated is so relevant and convenient today.
Amar
A great variety of styles in this short story collection. Enjoyed hopping from one author to the next and found some highly original pieces.
Linda Nichols
Apr 08, 2012 Linda Nichols is currently reading it
Working my way through it slowly but it has been helpful and insightful, in my quest to become a better writer.
Angella
There are some really great stories in here. One of the best was Daniel Orozco's "Orientation".
Christopher
Stellar examples of fine short story writing. Designed to teach, as well as entertain.
Jessie Sara

Very practical and with great examples from popular fictions.
Andy Glasser
Excellent collection of short stories.
Kim
Fantastic collection of shorts
Kevin Gallan
Dec 05, 2010 Kevin Gallan marked it as to-read
Shelves: anthology, own, fiction
9/356
Karen
Karen is currently reading it
May 26, 2015
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Chitra
Chitra marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Marion Tucker
Marion Tucker is currently reading it
Apr 25, 2015
Pratik
Pratik marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Camilla
Camilla marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Writing Fiction: The Practical Guide from New York's Acclaimed Creative Writing School
  • Animal Crackers
  • The Collaborative Habit: Life Lessons for Working Together
  • Your First Novel: A Published Author and a Top Agent Share the Keys to Achieving Your Dream
  • The Lie That Tells a Truth: A Guide to Writing Fiction
  • Making Shapely Fiction
  • One Last Look
  • Stars of the New Curfew
  • Which Side Are You on?: Trying to Be for Labor When It's Flat on Its Back
Writing Movies Writing Fiction: The Practical Guide from New York's Acclaimed Creative Writing School