Start by marking “Outlaw Journalist” as Want to Read:
Outlaw Journalist

Outlaw Journalist

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  530 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Hunter S. Thompson detonated a two-ton bomb under the staid field of journalism with his early magazine pieces and revelatory "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" and "Fear and Loathing" campaign coverage in Rolling Stone. When Thompson was on, there was no one better at capturing who Americans were and what America was, be it in politics, at the Kentucky Derby, or in the Hell ...more
Published July 17th 2008 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Outlaw Journalist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outlaw Journalist

Kahn
Hunter was many things to many people - not all of them good. So it is fitting - and a measure of McKeen's biography - that Hunter's life is covered here warts n all.
Yes, he shot at his neighbours, yes lived a life that would have killed most of us, but that was Hunter. Uncompromising.
Outlaw Journalist captures all that, bringing to life the inner struggles of a man many of us only know through Johnny Depp and Doonesbury.
The pace of the book also manages to mirror Hunter's life - frantic at firs
Diann Blakely
"Night of The Hunter"

Artists, consciously or unconsciously, tend to choose one of two paths after finding, through years of apprenticeship, a signature style: continue pursuing that style, attempting to hone and improve it with each new effort; or make their vocation one of varying, even destroying, that initial means of self-presentation through words, music, paint, or performance, and embark on another fork in the road.

Examples of the latter include Faulkner, Picasso, and Bob Dylan. Examples
Brian R. Mcdonald
Okay, one of the book groups in which I participate has developed a tendency of late to pick an author each month rather than a single book. Each participant reads what she or he chooses by the writer selected and we gather the compare and contrast, This being HST month, I inteneded to reread F&L on the Campaign Trail, in keeping with my past tendencies to pick political or electioneering books when possible, but this critical analysis of the Doctor's writings had been sitting on my dresser ...more
David
Like Jim Morrison of The Doors, Hunter S. Thompson pushed the limits of reality via drugs and alcohol to make art...and he destroyed himself and others around him in the process. Thompson devised a new and interesting mode of journalism, but I do not see that as justification for glorifying this guy. Excellent book, and it will lead me to a study of Hunter S. Thompson's writings (Hells Angels, etc). I just saw a movie version (Johnny Depp) of Thompson's "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" and it is ...more
Brendan
Andrew
An excellent unvarnished biography of Hunter S. Thompson. Surprisingly there have been quite a few rushed to the market but this one by William McKeen, a professor of journalism at the University of Florida, is very complete -- and has great footnotes and citations.

McKeen starts the book by suggesting an epitaph for the Gonzo journalist: "He had a problem with authority." But he chronicles Thompson's life in detail, in part thanks to the access to Thompson's extensive collection of letters, unfi
James
Like Wild Turkey into the Good Doc’s mouth, so too go volumes on the shelf about him. While most books about Hunter S. Thompson are good because they are about Hunter S. Thompson, William McKeen’s “Outlaw Journalist” is good on its own accord, revealing the allure and talent of Thompson to an audience beyond his indoctrinated disciples. For all his presence and popularity, a Hunter S. Thompson biography could be accomplished with the literary equivalent of connect-the-dots or paint by number. Co ...more
Ken
The best biographies are so successful in painting a time and place that the reader feels like he or she is there with the subject. The best example that I can think of is Peter Guralnick's "Last Train to Memphis," where you feel like you're with Elvis as he begins his rise to fame.

McKeen has achieved a similar thing here with his excellent biography of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson. Of course Thompson is a relatively easy subject because there are so many stories about him. Many of the stories are fa
John McNeilly
There was a lot I didn't know about HST.

He hit many women, as just one loathsome example. He took his reputation as an influential American writer deadly serious. In OUTLAW JOURNALIST, well written by a friend and University of Florida journalism professor, Thompson consistently comes across as an unlikable person. And, despite the biographer's willingness to (mostly) overlook Gonzo Hunter's lifelong drug and alcohol abuse (both developed into raging addictions as he aged), it ultimately, inevit
David Ball
It's funny. I moved country almost one month ago from Denmark to Canada. I left my wife and kids back in Copenhagen to start a new job and to find us a place to live. One would think a month on my own, with all that time to myself, my reading would accelerate, but the opposite has occurred; this my first book review in five weeks. What happened? I guess my daily routines have changed. In Canada there is plenty of sport on tv, a novelty I've allowed myself to indulge, which has eaten into my read ...more
Hood
Bound August 14, 2008 Miami Sun Post

Homage to an Outlaw

Bill McKeen on the Late, Great Hunter S. Thompson

By John Hood

It’s tempting to say that when Hunter S. Thompson blew his brains out with a shotgun in 2005, the event marked the end of an era. The problem is his death didn’t mark the end to anything but his life. See, Thompson belonged to no era, unless you’d care to consider him an era all his own.

You already know the gonzo details: Journeyman reporter breaks big after hanging with — and gett
arterialturns
It seems the Hunter Thompson gravy train is rolling strong, but hell-vultures need to eat, too. This tome, however, at least seems to be examining HST from a different angle: that of his actual writing. While it would be next to impossible to delve into any aspect of the man without in some way referencing his larger-than-life image, exploits and personality, this book does so only to illustrate how his writing was affected by those things. This is somewhat of a relief. As much as I've grown to ...more
Adam
A good but flawed Hunter S. Thompson biography. On the whole, I enjoyed taking in the whole sweep of Thompson's life; however, I finished the book wanting more, feeling almost as if McKeen made sure to cover all the important stuff but could have included a hundred more great anecdotes if his publisher had let him do 700 pages instead of 350. The man lived a sprawling, crazy life, and deserved a sprawling, crazy biography. McKeen did a competent job, yet somehow mere competence doesn't do Thomps ...more
Stephen
I've read a lot about the counter culture in the 60s, including some of Hunter S Thompson's gonzo journalism. I've lost my battered copy of one of his anthologies, but some stories stick in my mind. William Keen is helping me remember stuff I've read and raved about, plus giving loads of insights into the newspaper/ publishing industry. It starts with sad beginning, so I can only wonder where things are heading to.

Updated two weeks later: finished. Helluva engrossing, baring Hunter's tortured b
Rich Ramey
Spectacular assessment of Hunter's life. I was gripped by every page. So interesting to learn more details of one of my idols life. Felt a little rushed towards the end. But no complaints otherwise. A must read for fans of the Gonzo Journalist.
Gail Katz
Gomzo Journalism....bringing the reporter into the story. Often making the reporter's experience the key to the story. We all owe it to Hunter S Thompson. Again. I got this as a 13 cd's to pop in my little Sion as I drove the mountains from Eugene,a Oregon past MountShasta and down the central california valley to East Bay and San Francisco. lOVED IT. STARTED WITH NTER AS AN OTRGEOUS CHILD IN lOUISVILLE, ky> THEN ON TO HIS TIME AT eGGLESTON afb NEAR WHERE i LIVED FOR 4 YEARS,,,THEB IBWARD ABD ...more
Ken
Picked this up at City Lights during my every-couple-years visit to that San Francisco institution. I don't know why I got it; I've read the other biographies of Hunter Thompson, years ago, and didn't have any unanswered questions.

Anyway, it reads like rehash from those other books, including a lot of the same quotes. Maybe a lot of it is new research, but it's hard to tell when the well-told story is told again.

Only real revelations are in the final chapters. I did not realize HST was such a p
Autumn Doughton
I picked up this book knowing nothing--absolutely nothing--about Hunter S. Thompson. I didn't even see the movie! But my husband knows the author and I like books so I thought I'd give it a whirl.
From the first chapter I got the impression that most of the people who would be picking up a copy of Outlaw Journalist would at least be familiar with Thompson and I felt a little like a fish out of water... But that disappeared quickly and I got into the groove. The book was a smart easy-read--my fav
Christel
I don't normally go for non-fiction (I'm 100% escapist), but this was excellent. I saw myself growing up with Thompson, tearing up the town, talking shit, being young and not caring what people thought. I learned so much about him from this book...some things I was shocked to know...some things I really could have lived without knowing. It's no wonder that HST sent McKeen that threatening note after reading his initial biography. I found it both informative and enjoyable, and very well written, ...more
M. D.
A truely amazing book. I, like so many people, only knew Hunter Thompson as the wild drug-crazed maniac from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. This book introduced me to the brilliant writer that he was. I sadly confess that I have only read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Rum Diary and not any of his other work. I promise this is a lack in education that I plan on rectifying as soon as possible. And that pledge is thanks to Mr. McKeen's wonderful book.
Lynnell
Fantastic! I knew Thompson's writing a little (what good citizen of Louisville does not know "The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved"?) but knew little more about his life than rumour and fable. McKeen resists the temptation to mythologize or engage in flights of lyric fancy, and instead tells a great story about a great writer. Meticulously researched and documented - a terrific book.
Paul
Pretty good bio as far as HTS goes. Of course, reading Hunter bios is typically more interesting than reading actual Hunter S. Thompson -- aside from Hell's Angels, of course. The new movie (Gonzo) is pretty lame outside of about 10 minutes of classic archival footage of HST on The Dating Game. Pick this up instead.
Riki
What an amazing insight into a profound figure in the writing world. Absolutely loved this book and got learn of the real Hunter Thompson and not the Roal Duke so many people came to know. His story has inspired me to keep on with my own writing.....a definite must read for all Gonzo fans
Leah
Sometimes I don't feel so crazy. Those times often coincide with learning about other people's craziness. Still, it sounds like it was never boring to be Hunter. Now I want to read some of the stuff he's actually written instead of just something written about him.
Frederic Murray
HST was staying at the Watergate the night of the break in...how's that for timing. McKeen did a solid job of telling the tale, warts and all, of the good doctor. My highest praise: I now want to read the letters edited by Brinkley.

DJMikeG
This is the best book written about Hunter Thompson. For serious fans of the man and his work, this is a must-read. Much better than "Gonzo", which was tainted by a bit of Jann Wenner's personal beefs with Thompson.
Grindy Stone
Top-notch bio, with thoughtful analysis of Thompson's life and work that doesn't get bogged down in minutiae. McKeen does a nice job comparing/contrasting Thompson to Fitzgerald and Raoul Duke to Jau Gatsby.
Sara
It is utterly astonishing to me that one of my literary heroes and one of the most colorful journalistic characters ever could have a biography so freaking boring. Steer clear. I couldn't even finish it.
Bruce Roderick
A solid comprehensive look at the life of H.S.T. Worth the read if you are a fan of his or have an interest in him. It didn't promote or condone his "philosophy" but rather provided insight to his life.
Allison
I think Thompson is an interesting character but I still don't understand some people's obsession with him. This biography is quite thorough and makes a good read.
  • The Kitchen Readings: Untold Stories of Hunter S. Thompson
  • Allen Ginsberg: A Biography
  • The Story of My Life
  • The Skeptic: A Life of H. L. Mencken
  • The Young Hemingway
Author of Mile Marker Zero, Outlaw Journalist, Highway 61, Rock and Roll is Here to Stay and several other books, William McKeen teaches at Boston University and chairs its department of journalism. He lives on the rocky coast of Cohasset, Massachusetts.
More about William McKeen...
Mile Marker Zero Rock and Roll is Here to Stay Homegrown in Florida Highway 61 Rock 'n' Roll and American Society, Part 1