Start by marking “The Waitress” as Want to Read:
The Waitress

The Waitress

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  1,891 ratings  ·  74 reviews
The Appetizer

Katie has lofty career aspirations that seem to change almost hourly: writer, film director, teacher, educational psychiatrist. In the meantime, she's waiting tables and waiting for "Mr. Right" to arrive out of the blue -- which seems unlikely, considering her romantic track record is as pitiful as her job history.

The Main Course

Still, a girl can dream, even w
Published April 26th 2005 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Waitress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Waitress

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingSomething Blue by Emily GiffinPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Best chicklit
281st out of 639 books — 913 voters

More lists with this book...

Vasia
This book is about a 20-something-year-old who refuses to grow up, and wonders aimlessly through life, doing a job she doesn't really like and can't decide what to do for her rest of her life. Turns out, she really did love her shitty waitressing job, and it only took a promotion and a hot boss to realise it. inspiring.
Jessica
When I read this book, I wasn't so into reading thick books because I get impatient and most of the time ending up jumping to the last chapters after reaching the middle, but this is one of those books which I patiently read through all chapters.

I actually wasn't expecting anything about this book. I bought it on a whim actually while I was on a date with my husband. And yes, to be honest it was because of the more because of the cover than the blurb, hahaha :D

But after reading this book, I was
Lauren
Cómo hacía tiempo que no me leía nada de chick-lit, me decidí por esta novela que tenía buena pinta.

En realidad, he salido algo escaldada y no es que la autora escriba mal. El libro, al igual que mis favoritos de Marian Keyes, tiene puntos buenos de humor, temas interesantes de los que tratar y unos personajes que no podían ser más sacados de la realidad ni hechos a medida (yo misma me he sentido identificada con uno de ellos) pero aún con todo y eso, la historia no me ha terminado de convencer.
Chin
I like the way The Waitress written by Melissa Nathan is written in. Following the format like a menu in a restaurant. With appetizers, main courses, desserts and of course don’t forget there is the bill. These subcategories are separated from her life. For instance, the main courses are what the protagonist- Katie’s ideals are such as her idea of romance is a goodbye kiss. However, the bill which she needs to pay up are her ex eager to find her. Nathan ended with the novel nicely. The mood she ...more
Steffi
Perfect!
i just love Melissa Nathan's style. Getting to know something about everyone in the book. You always find a way of identifying with at least one of her characters.
In my case that was the main character Katie Simmonds. In her twenties, not knowing what to do with her life, that job she really wants to do and having her parents at her back, trying to get her to make a decision. A decision, they would approve of.
Well at least her mother does. Her father only wants, what's good for her. He w
Kathleen
I am not quite sure what to say about this book. I enjoyed the book, but found it tough to get going. It isn't the best chick-lit option out there, but it had some good qualities that kept me reading until the end. I think the best part was the last few pages which helped tie it all together...it is OK to take your time to figure out what you want to do in life - the journey is just as important as the destination.
Angela
Sep 12, 2008 Angela rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: brit chick lit lovers
Recommended to Angela by: series
This was an okay read. It dragged on a little too much about the ex-boyfriend but the waitress side of things was interesting. My favorite character was the dishwasher boy Matt. I enjoyed The Nanny by the same author much better.
Julia
A great laugh out loud book. I can really recommend it, to all fans of chick lit like Kinsella!
Kat A
This was ok. Typical chick lit format, with the exception of dividing the story up like a menu, appetizer, main course, dessert etc. I feel bad that I sort of read it and forgot about, especially since the author died at such a young age which sets off that sub-conscious thing when works become better posthumously. I really liked The Nanny, so I wanted to like this more, but in reality, it's a light read, good for someone who either really likes chick lit as a genre, or needs a really long book ...more
Kelly
This book was cute, but I struggled with it because it had the potential to be a really fun, absorbing, forget-the-day-because-I'm-reading, book. The idea is good, the characters were unique and had good characteristics and bad characteristics... the bones were there. The flesh however, was lacking.

This novel desperately needed a better editing job than it received - there were entire chapters, and a couple of characters, that could have been cut. I did not care what happened to Hugh outside of
Samrina
after reading "the learning curve" by melissa nathan i thot tht any book wud b bettr thn this buk...but unfortunately this buk was evn worse...the only gud thng abt melissa nathan's book is tht the outlining plots or the storyline is gud...in ths book the outline "girls strands a guy in the restaurant on their first date and ends up owrking with him" is interesting n one might evn look forward to it wid excitement...but thr is absolutely NO chemistry between the lead pair...how cn they fall in l ...more
Alice

Mlle Alice, pouvez-vous nous raconter votre rencontre avec The Waitress?

"C'est grâce à Jane Austen que j'ai découvert Melissa Nathan et deux de ses romans: Acting Up et Persuading Annie, qui sont respectivement d'excellentes réécritures modernes d'Orgueil et Préjugés et Persuasion. Et je me suis dit alors: "Pourquoi s'arrêter là!"

Dites-nous en un peu plus sur son histoire...

"Katie est une jeune femme un peu perdue, qui est serveuse en attendant de trouver ce qu'elle veut véritablement faire
Jennifer Bernard
This is one of the earliest books i bought spending my hard earned money and which i avoided reading until i had nothing else to go on.

Katie, I can only describe her a clueless but one who has a lot of ambition to prove herself. To whom- probably the rest of the world. She can be a writer, film director, teacher, educational psychiatrist, etc.
But what is she now? A waitress.

Her personal lives are a disaster, her professional life is a disaster.
Enter Dan. The guy who makes her heart beat fast.
Shy
My Review: The late Melissa Nathan was an excellent chick-lit author. Even though the storyline of her book, The Waitress, doesn’t really deviate too far away from the other chick-lit books out there, there was still something distinct in her style of writing that make the book looks unique. I’ve read her two other books before – The Nanny and The Learning Curve – and I’m glad to say that this one also didn’t disappoint.

The Waitress chronicled the life of Katie, a cheeky and sarcastic waitress
Namratha
Katie Simmonds is an ambitious young lady. This week she wants to be an educational psychologist. The one before that, she wanted to be a teacher. And the week before that, a film director. She’s earned her degree from Oxford and believes that the world is her oyster. Sadly the oyster is yet to be shucked and she’s living out her life as a waitress in a dead-beat cafe. It may not be the best job in the world but it pays the bills and provides a stop-gap while she imagines herself in one glamorou ...more
Kellie
It took me about 100 pages to get into this book. Once I did, I was hooked. This reminded me a little bit of “Amanda’s Wedding” but it was much better. It is a story about Katie. Katie is a waitress and is trying to figure out what to do with her life. This book was had adjacent stories and expressions of feelings from the other characters. It made the book more interesting and unique. Although the main character was Katie, the author was very deliberate in detailing the lives of some of the oth ...more
Devina Dutta
i loved The Waitress! The unique plot about a girl who is unable to decide her future career or the right man is someone I could definitely relate to. The honest narration and the fine sarcasm mixed with the right amount of humor was charming.
Katie Simmonds, a waitress at the rundown restaurant, The Cafe has big dreams with zero ambitions. Every week she has new career choice or a new passion, something which she gets bored of in less than a week. Her chance encounter with Dan and a later disas
Leona
This is great escapism. Melissa has a lovely easy flowing writing style, it is witty and entertaining.
Ibhthisam
The book was amazing , after this , i just want to read all the books by her <3
Mayu
Solo leí el primer capi (lo regalaba la editorial) pero me pareció tan raro y aburrido que preferí no seguir con el. Adiós libro chick - lit.
Zoe (Kat)
I read this book after reading The Nanny. At first it was a lot more difficult to get in to, but once I did it was just as good. Melissa Nathan is good at describing lots of different people's lives and drawing you in to each of them. Each character has their own story line, yet each characters story overlaps someone elses. This book revolves around the Cafe, and the staff in it. It was a completely different setup to books I am used to, but thoroughly enjoyed it. I am looking forward to reading ...more
Jen
Nov 30, 2010 Jen added it
Ok, I am not finished (and probably won't finish) this book but I have to say that the beginning is really asinine. I mean...wow. I'm more into historical fiction, but want to get back into books in my own century. So far...not working out so well. I can't get past all the stupid little phrases. One being "pelvic floor" instead of "stomach." That turn-of-phrase didn't necessarily make me think her lil romance w/ Danny-boy would be fun to hear about.

I've only made it to page 12.... Not sure if I
Shannon Stults
I finally finished it. Not that it was hard to read, I've just been a little busy this week. So my sister told me to read this book because Melissa Nathan is awesome. So I did. I enjoyed it, though I had a hard time getting into it at first. But then I was told that each of her books is based on one of Jane Austen's novels, and I'm a HUGE Austen fan! I'm glad I read this one first and I'm hoping that the others are better, since I'll definitely be reading all of them.
Pamela
Once the story got going and there were other characters to care about beyond the pretty unlikeable heroine, this wasn't half bad. I'll try another one of Nathan's books to see if a more winning cast carries her easy plot and prose to a higher level. Three stars for the book, one start for the main character. And even I know that the average of 1 and 3 is 2 (take that, GRE math bastards).
Ilse
genoten van de eerste tot de laatste pagina.
herkenbare personages, goed uitgewerkt, grappig,...

alleen 2 nadelen: moeilijk aan de kant te leggen en veel te snel uit
Shannon
Way too long (paperback is almost as thick as my copy of Gone with the Wind) didn't get through 50 pages and just got exhausted trying to keep interested and up with all the characters.
Love her other books. Lovely writer who is gone too soon.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Jul 03, 2008 Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Huyen
Shelves: fiction, chick-lit
Tends to have fall prey to some of the trappings of conventional chick-lit, as in happy endings all-round, but with alot of farcical events leading to the end. Also got a bit long and choppy near the end with jumping back and forth between all the characters for only a paragraph or so. Also I sadly related to some of Katie's problems.
Hana
I didn't like it - it felt superficial, was boring and confusing. Couldn't finish it.
Kim
An ok read. I didn't like how it jumped to different characters throughout the book. I keep wondering if it would have been better if it was written in first person. It wasn't funny either. The plot was ok with some twists and turns. The ending was perfect though.
  • Making Mischief
  • Amanda's Wedding
  • Fast Friends
  • Late Night Shopping (Annie Valentine, #2)
  • The Love Academy
  • Living Dangerously
  • Kiss Chase
  • A Hollywood Ending
  • Game Over
  • Class (Maggie Adair #1)
Melissa Jane Nathan (13 June 1968 – 7 April 2006) was a journalist and UK author of popular "chick lit" novels in the early 2000s.
When working on Persuading Annie (2001), Nathan was diagnosed with breast cancer. She refused to let the illness dominate her life, and - in public anyway - was unfailingly positive. She had no time for most journalism written by cancer sufferers: "self-indulgent dirges
More about Melissa Nathan...
The Nanny Pride, Prejudice and Jasmin Field The Learning Curve Persuading Annie Acting Up