The Book of Phoebe

The Book of Phoebe

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Saucy, brash, irreverent-The Book Of Phoebe is an extraordinary novel about a young woman's six-month sojourn in Paris, where she has a baby, falls madly in love and discovers a great deal about the capacities of the human heart.
Published April 1st 2000 by Backinprint.com (first published 1985)

Dena
This book was urged on my by my high school English teacher: "It's about Holden Caulfield's sister," he said. And so it was. You hate her and you love her, she insufferable and charming...it's like Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and The Dud Avocado with a sort of St. Regis bar twist. Lovely.
Pamela Pickering
I had high hopes for this book. It started out fairly decently--easy to read and quick to get into the story. But, suddenly the author took a really odd tactic and inserted the main character's childhood creative writing assignment into the book. I read through it and past it. For the life of me I still couldn't figure out why. Perhaps if I decided to stay with it for some more pages I might have discovered the reason but the character's caustic tone and just general "unlikeability" wasn't enoug...more
Heather
I hated the main character, from the first word to the last. She's supposed to be this Yale genius, yet she makes the dumbest life choices and views the world in a haughty, ignorant fashion. She doesn't even seem to learn anything from anything that happens to her, and then she just goes back to "normal" life after her escapades. I would've much rather seen her fall from her pedestal, learn from her mistakes, and become learn how to be a decent human being who can exist peacefully with the world...more
Jillian
In high school we went to this women's studies event, and they had several female authors there and they talked about their books and such. I met Mary-Anne Tyrone Smith at the event. However it wasn't until much later that I read the book, but i thought it was a good read.
Missy  Miller
This book was pretty terrific! Witty, clever, bizarre and the female character is a strong feminist voice. I never would have read this brilliant book because I don't know if I ever would have heard of it but my manager lent it to me. She's got terrific taste!
Lynda Rodriguez
Just a damn good book. I read Tirone Smith's autobiography and liked it so much I reserved this book with the library. Really, really good.
Morgan
A quick beach read - I loved her writing and the way the author depicts coping mechanisms. Left me wanting more. Sad and beautiful.
Aimee Bowyer
I've read this more times than I can count. I'm on my second copy of it and I will one day get to go to Paris.
Barbara Boccaccio
This was a quick and delightful read. Better at the beginning than the end but worth it!
Petra
lost interest
John
Dec 20, 2012 John rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
ok one day read
Mandi
Mandi marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Jini
Jini added it
Jul 21, 2013
Mike Heyd
Mike Heyd marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2013
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Mary-Ann Tirone Smith is the author of eight novels. She has lived all her life in Connecticut, except for two years when she served as a Peace Corps volunteer in Cameroon.
More about Mary-Ann Tirone Smith...
Girls of Tender Age: A Memoir Love Her Madly She's Not There An American Killing Dirty Water: A Red Sox Mystery