Start by marking “The Book of Phoebe” as Want to Read:
The Book of Phoebe

The Book of Phoebe

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Saucy, brash, irreverent-The Book Of Phoebe is an extraordinary novel about a young woman's six-month sojourn in Paris, where she has a baby, falls madly in love and discovers a great deal about the capacities of the human heart.
Published April 1st 2000 by Backinprint.com (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Phoebe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Phoebe

Carol
First, I have never read a book by Mary-Ann Tirone Smith, who was recently at a writing workshop. I was surprised that the title of the book is The Book of Phoebe(My daughter's name is Phoebe and so I had to read it.) Second, remember that this was published in 1985 when everything was very different from today. The main character, Phoebe Desmond, is a gifted woman, a senior at Yale. She discovered that she is pregnant, and has no desire to keep the baby after its birth. Instead, Phoebe makes ar ...more
Dena
This book was urged on my by my high school English teacher: "It's about Holden Caulfield's sister," he said. And so it was. You hate her and you love her, she insufferable and charming...it's like Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and The Dud Avocado with a sort of St. Regis bar twist. Lovely.
Pamela Pickering
I had high hopes for this book. It started out fairly decently--easy to read and quick to get into the story. But, suddenly the author took a really odd tactic and inserted the main character's childhood creative writing assignment into the book. I read through it and past it. For the life of me I still couldn't figure out why. Perhaps if I decided to stay with it for some more pages I might have discovered the reason but the character's caustic tone and just general "unlikeability" wasn't enoug ...more
Heather
I hated the main character, from the first word to the last. She's supposed to be this Yale genius, yet she makes the dumbest life choices and views the world in a haughty, ignorant fashion. She doesn't even seem to learn anything from anything that happens to her, and then she just goes back to "normal" life after her escapades. I would've much rather seen her fall from her pedestal, learn from her mistakes, and become learn how to be a decent human being who can exist peacefully with the world ...more
Jillian
In high school we went to this women's studies event, and they had several female authors there and they talked about their books and such. I met Mary-Anne Tyrone Smith at the event. However it wasn't until much later that I read the book, but i thought it was a good read.
Missy  Miller
This book was pretty terrific! Witty, clever, bizarre and the female character is a strong feminist voice. I never would have read this brilliant book because I don't know if I ever would have heard of it but my manager lent it to me. She's got terrific taste!
Lynda Rodriguez
Just a damn good book. I read Tirone Smith's autobiography and liked it so much I reserved this book with the library. Really, really good.
Morgan
A quick beach read - I loved her writing and the way the author depicts coping mechanisms. Left me wanting more. Sad and beautiful.
Aimee Bowyer
I've read this more times than I can count. I'm on my second copy of it and I will one day get to go to Paris.
Barbara Boccaccio
This was a quick and delightful read. Better at the beginning than the end but worth it!
Petra
lost interest
John
Dec 20, 2012 John rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
ok one day read
Brendan Koerner
Brendan Koerner marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Tsa
Tsa marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Chantal Johnson
Chantal Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Joyce Dunklee
Joyce Dunklee marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
GT
GT marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Andrea Rose
Andrea Rose marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Mandi
Mandi marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mary-Ann Tirone Smith is the author of eight novels. She has lived all her life in Connecticut, except for two years when she served as a Peace Corps volunteer in Cameroon.
More about Mary-Ann Tirone Smith...
Girls of Tender Age: A Memoir Love Her Madly She's Not There An American Killing Dirty Water: A Red Sox Mystery