The Good Girl Revolution: Young Rebels with Self-Esteem and High Standards

The Good Girl Revolution: Young Rebels with Self-Esteem and High Standards

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Across the country, there’s a youth-led rebellion challenging the status quo. In Seattle and Pittsburgh, teenage girls protest against companies that sell sleazy clothing. Online, a nineteen-year-old describes her struggles with her mother, who she feels is pressuring her to lose her virginity. In a small town outside Philadelphia, an eleventh-grade girl, upset over a “dir...more
Published July 8th 2008 by Ballantine Books

L**
I really wanted to like this book. I agree with many of her assertions:

Females are more than their bodies.

It really is NOT empowering to flash one's "boobs" or engage in girl-on-girl action for male approval.

The pressure to meet beauty norms is overwhelming, especially because in today's culture, those beauty norms are largely about looking sexy.

The pressure to look sexy is accompanied by pressure to be sexy. That means embracing public displays of our bodies and sexuality-- often rooted in male...more
AnnE
I really liked this book. I did feel that there were some parts that did not need to be so graphic. Especially if the target reading group is teenage girls.
Erin
Sacha
Only 23 and what some would describe as puritanical and shamefully naïve when she wrote her first book (A Return To Modesty: Rediscovering The Lost Virtue), Williams College philosophy graduate Wendy Shalit is now a little bit older, a little bit wiser and, I feel, more within her rights to discuss the intricacies and ramifications of sex now that she is married and has a child. Although she isn't selling the "modestynik" way of life in her newest treatise-turned-book "The Good Girl Revolution"...more
Annie
Oct 28, 2008 Annie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Moms of girls
Recommended to Annie by: Brynn Nufer
Thought provoking and great book club discussion. There is hope for our girls but it is scary that they face so much trash out there. The author is pretty good. There were parts that were a little too much or a little too lengthy but otherwise very interesting. And a part that I liked was that she offered specific solutions.
Chase
not as good as a return to modesty, but I thought it was pretty ok. Good girl revolution was interesting because it focused on the next wave of feminists--girls that are now in their teens. it was encouraging to think that there is hope for the future of our young women.
Dave Intlekofer
Interesting but a little repetitive. It was clear that Shalit cares about the issues, but she was clearly trying to be sensational with the facts. Unfortunately, much of it was not surprising.
London Litchfield
Excellent. Well written. Persuasive logic. Reinforces an uplifting way of life without compromising women's rights. Should be required reading for any mother of a daughter!
Ana
This may be the worst book I have ever finished reading. More on this when I have time.
Kim
Feb 27, 2009 Kim marked it as to-read
Loved her first two books
LenZ
LenZ marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Phoebe
Phoebe marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Matt Page
Matt Page marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Andy Croft
Andy Croft marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Sinead
Sinead marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Jessica Lewis
Jessica Lewis marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Loanna Berringer
Loanna Berringer marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
A Return to Modesty: Discovering the Lost Virtue Girls Gone Mild: Young Women Reclaim Self-Respect and Find It's Not Bad to Be Good