Start by marking “The Edge of Death: (Sequel to ADRENALINE)” as Want to Read:
The Edge of Death: (Sequel to ADRENALINE)

The Edge of Death: (Sequel to ADRENALINE)

THE EDGE OF DEATH Powerful creatures have long been rumored to roam the Earth- demons, wraiths, the undead, vampires. What if they are not just the stuff of legend? What if there is a scientific basis for their existence? There's a secret lab in the basement of the prestigious Buchanan Medical Center, where the newly declared dead become subjects in pathologist Gunter ...more
Published December 3rd 2013 (first published November 21st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Edge of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edge of Death

Deborah Kilduff
Mar 25, 2014 Deborah Kilduff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This sequel to Adrenaline, surpassed my expectations. I really enjoyed the first book but was wary when I picked up the sequel because it spoke of demons and the supernatural, not my preference for reading material. I was pleasantly surprised. Dr. Benedict continued to build suspense and fold in interesting pieces of medical procedure. Again, the characters were well developed and made me really care about what was happening. Dr. Landry, from the first book, continued to hold my interest to the ...more
Reesie
Feb 13, 2014 Reesie rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant!

Absolutely brilliant!

We do put a lot of trust in our medical care providers. How far will technology go in the future to sustain life? This book kept me on the edge.
Sonja
Feb 26, 2014 Sonja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book thru a contest here from the author and it was really a good story. So why my rating? Even though I did enjoy it, I just didn't get that into it for some reason. I'm pretty sure this is the first thriller book I have read, and definitely the first medical thriller. I guess I thought I would understand enough to get most of the references. However, about 98% of the time when it was medical terminology about procedures, equipment, or what have you, I had no idea what they were talk ...more
Kelly Smith Reviews
I've truly enjoyed the people I've met via Goodreads. One of those people is Dr. John Benedict, author. His novel The Edge of Death, the sequel to Adrenaline, is an experience that teeters on the edge of being paranormal yet never crosses that line.

Dr. Mueller thinks he has found a way to resuscitate the newly dead, but doesn't anticipate that his experiment will have such dire effects.
Nick Chandler wakes from his coma to kill a nurse and break out of the hospital, his new chance at life empower
Kristen Chandler
"Powerful creatures have long been rumored to roam the Earth-- demons, wraiths, the undead, vampires. What if they are not just the stuff of legend? What if there is a scientific basis for their existence?"

The Edge of Death is the second book by author John Benedict. It is the sequel to his first book, Adrenaline.

While this is considered a sequel, I don't think you would necessarily have to read Adrenaline in order to read this book. HOWEVER, being a fan and friend of John, I encourage you to re
Uma Van Roosenbeek
Another brilliant book by Dr. Benedict! The book surpassed all my anticipations and took me to the realm of an incredible combination of scientific learning and mysticism. Here is one book that managed to keep me thinking about the inter-relationship of, and the probable association of the known biological facts with the secrets of the unknown spiritual spheres. It made me think about the possible and probable correlation between a medical process like resuscitation and its effect on a ...more
L.A. Kragie
Aug 27, 2014 L.A. Kragie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Benedict does it again. Edge of Death is the sequel to his thriller, Adrenaline, and like the first it does not disappoint. Benedict writes about anesthesia and critical care events with clear cut authenticity. The genre is labeled as supernatural science, but it is mostly speculative real cutting edge science, that takes a step further into exploring the nature (and anatomical location?) of the soul.
Yet the science is nestled comfortably in human stories with real people and relationships.
christy caldwell
Aug 31, 2014 christy caldwell rated it it was amazing
Soulless?

When does the soul leave the body? Do people walk among us that have no soul? Is there even a such thing as a soul? These are questions you'll be pondering reading this book. It claims to be a sequel to his book "Adrenaline",but it can certainly be read without reading that book first.
I love medical thrillers and this one did not disappoint. It was engaging and thought-provoking. The author is an actual doctor, but the book isn't bogged down with pretentious medical jargon. This was a g
Judy Ann Bertoson
Dec 22, 2015 Judy Ann Bertoson rated it it was amazing
Another Winner!!

This sequel didn't fail to deliver. I found it was everything it promised to be. A page turner, edge of your seat book that I couldn't put down and I can't wait to read the next book Fatal Complications. I would recommend this to anyone who loves dark medical mysteries.
Evelyn M Parnell
Dec 19, 2015 Evelyn M Parnell rated it really liked it
Great Story

I truly enjoyed reading this book. Lots of suspense. Great premise. This story is even better than the previous book, Adrenaline. Was holding my breath when reading altercations with our protagonist. I'm looking forward to reading his next book and recommend this to those who enjoy medical mysteries/thrillers.
Darlene
Jan 22, 2016 Darlene rated it it was amazing
Great Read

Looking at the cover of this book I expected it to be creepy. What an understatement! Mix creepy with thrills, chills, intelligence, love and a heaping dose of OMG! And, you've got a great book in your hands.
Marievic
Mar 06, 2014 Marievic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest I wasn't expecting a lot from this book but it really had me on edge. This is one of those books you can't put down because you NEED to know what happens lol. I would defenitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a good thriller.
Theresa
Feb 15, 2014 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Medical novel

Medical novel

This was an excellent book. It actually takes place where I am from. Very well written and keeps you on the edge of your seat.I loved it.
Chasity Smith
Mar 01, 2014 Chasity Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From start to finish, this book kept me on the "edge" Even if you haven't read the first book, you can follow the storyline with ease :) It's a book you can read over and over again I definetly recommend!
Nancy Ratzlaff
Mar 15, 2015 Nancy Ratzlaff rated it liked it
The Edge of Death

It was pretty good, but l felt like it was to drawn out. It could have been a little shorter, where as l got tired of reading.
Geneva Myree
Aug 31, 2014 Geneva Myree rated it it was amazing
The edge of death

this book was awesome. I was so engrossed in the characters. it was very graphic. I could see all the blood and guts in my mind. I loved it
J V Woods
Dec 06, 2015 J V Woods rated it did not like it
Rubbish

I thought the first book bad but this is absolute rubbish. I won't bother with anymore of this author's work. Stick to the day job Dr. Benedict.
Dawn On-the-hill
Aug 22, 2014 Dawn On-the-hill rated it liked it
So-so

I thought the plot was interesting enough to keep me reading but ...well, if you aren't in the medical field then it is a bit confusing and boring.
Jo-ann Brightman
This book kept me enthralled from the beginning with its combination of mystery thriller, paranormal beings and medical/scientific explanations
Helen May
Sep 17, 2014 Helen May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting medical thriller, keeping the suspense throughout. Reminds me of a modern day Frankenstein with a few twists.
Judy
Judy rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2015
Philip Lightbear
Philip Lightbear rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Deborah
Deborah rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2015
Kim D. Cox
Kim D. Cox rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2014
Karen Wheway
Karen Wheway rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2014
Anita Williams
Anita Williams rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2016
frederick m burtnett
frederick m burtnett rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2016
Susan Lauck
Susan Lauck rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2015
Erin Wisbey
Erin Wisbey rated it did not like it
Nov 19, 2014
Nicki Fairbanks
Nicki Fairbanks rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Mistletoe and Magick
  • Vampires, Thieves, and Griffins
  • Red Snow (Burkheart Witch Saga #1)
  • Rising Shadows (World in Shadows, #1)
  • Alexa O'Brien Huntress Book 1-4
  • Broken Wings: Genesis (Yeshua Star, #1)
  • Grave Hauntings: Where Sexy and Sinful Meets Dark and Chilling
  • White Blood Seduction
  • The Hunt (The Shifting Truth, #1)
  • Crypt Keeper (Molly Maddison #1)
  • Gypsy Nights
  • A Stranger Magic (Haven, #1)
  • Marcus (The Vampyre Legal Chronicles, #1)
  • Darkened (Avery Tywella #1)
  • Rook and Raven (The Celtic Kingdom, #1)
  • Carson's Night (The Stonebrood Saga, #1)
  • THE RIPENING (Dark Side of the Moon, #1)
  • Reluctant Gods
I work as an anesthesiologist and spend a good part of my life putting other people to sleep for all kinds of surgery. It's very interesting and exciting--I get to interact with and help a lot of people in many different situations. However, the hours are tough (24 hour call shifts) and it can be a bit stressful!

One day it struck me-- people place an extraordinary amount of trust in their anesthes
More about John Benedict...