Start by marking “Writing with Grace: A Journey Beyond Down Syndrome” as Want to Read:
Writing with Grace: A Journey Beyond Down Syndrome

Writing with Grace: A Journey Beyond Down Syndrome

When Judy McFarlane is asked if she will help Grace, a woman with Down syndrome who dreams of becoming a famous writer, she realizes she holds deep, unacknowledged fears — that Grace will be a dull-eyed young woman who can’t read, let alone write, or that she might become agitated, even lash out. But the idea that Grace wants to be a writer, a dream McFarlane gave up when ...more
Published September 3rd 2014 by Douglas & McIntyre (first published July 28th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Writing with Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing with Grace

Westcoast_girl
When you begin this book it may feel like a diary. McFarlane narrates her encounter with Grace along with her thoughts and feelings. Simple, yet sweet and intimate.

As you continue, this book may begin to feel like a scrapbook. Scraps of information, scrawls of thoughts and feelings, mementos of memories, and snapshots of Grace's life compile the book into a diverse array of colourful pages. Somewhat random, yet interesting.

However, by the time you are truly reading this book, it will become a m
Katherine Krige
Feb 08, 2015 Katherine Krige rated it really liked it
Judy McFarlane presents a humble story of the ugly truth that lies within many of us - that of discrimination. When she is approached by a friend to help a young woman along with a book she is writing Judy is faced with the fact of her misconceptions of Down Syndrome and also how little she knows about it. She fears that Grace will be stupid, angry, and/or violent, but forces herself to take up the challenge. For as the story plays out, we come to learn that her fears are more about her own ...more
Cathryn Wellner
Apr 12, 2016 Cathryn Wellner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
Judy McFarlane's honesty, combined with good writing, kicks this up to five stars for me. I have felt that same quandary, unsure how to keep from putting my foot in my mouth when I mean to be friendly and open. When asked to work with Grace, a young woman who aches to become a famous writer and who has Down syndrome, McFarlane faces her own demons.

The result of her decision to say yes is this wonderful book, a memoir that explores the broader issues of not only Down syndrome but also of being a
Vontel
Jun 03, 2015 Vontel rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book interwoven about Grace and about the author and about engaging with people with Down syndrome in their journey in becoming human. True stories about the joys and challenges and awakening awarenesses that need to be faced by all of us. It is both gentle and courageous, and tinged with sadness and casual brutality, and includes some of the history of how our societies have approached "these others". I highly recommend it.
Alexis
Jun 09, 2014 Alexis rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
A beautiful non-fiction book about a writer's relationship with a young woman with Down syndrome. The book talks about the history and discrimination of Down syndrome, while sharing the story of a young woman with Down's who wants to be a writer. This is an honest, touching, informative and highly beautiful book. It should be getting more attention than it's getting.

I read it in one night.

Highly recommended.
Robin Spano
Jul 21, 2014 Robin Spano rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
LOVED reading this book. The topic wouldn't have compelled me if I didn't already know what an excellent writer Judy McFarlane is, but from paragraph one I was hooked. I learned a lot about Down Syndrome and myself in the process. An emotionally satisfying read that upon finishing, I immediately loaned to my mother because I just needed to put it into someone else's hands.

Read. Learn. Enjoy.

Really looking forward to anything and everything that Judy McFarlane writes next.
Dolores
Oct 18, 2015 Dolores rated it liked it
Grace Chen was born with Down syndrome but she dreamed of becoming a famous writer. This is the inspiring story of how Judy McFarlane helped Grace achieve her goal. I learned a lot about the history of Down syndrome in this absorbing and enlightening book.
Doretta Lau
Aug 28, 2014 Doretta Lau rated it it was amazing
I finished this moving and honest book so quickly because the perfect prose just read so smoothly. So much empathy and, yes, grace in this memoir.
Lisa
Mar 26, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
I reviewed this book here: https://disabilityinlit.wordpress.com...
Danielle Wing
Danielle Wing rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2016
T. Frances
T. Frances rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2014
Angie Abdou
Angie Abdou rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2014
Gayle
Gayle rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2015
Dee at EditorialEyes
Dee at EditorialEyes rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Meghan
Meghan rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Rejoice
Rejoice rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2014
Carol Shaben
Carol Shaben rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2014
Stephanie Clark
Stephanie Clark rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2015
CN
CN rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Clare
Clare rated it it was ok
Aug 30, 2015
Kathryn Vercillo
Kathryn Vercillo rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2015
Beastly
Beastly rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2014
Kerry
Kerry rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2014
Keri
Keri rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2014
Paulina
Paulina rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2015
Ann W
Ann W rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Nikki
Nikki rated it liked it
May 11, 2015
Dina Bucchia
Dina Bucchia rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2014
Trailhoundz
Trailhoundz rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2015
Anna Comfort o'keeffe
Anna Comfort o'keeffe rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2014