Start by marking “Read Harder” as Want to Read:
Read Harder

Read Harder (Read Hard)

This volume collects the finest essays from the second half of the Believer's decade-long (and counting) run. The Believer, the McSweeney's-published four-time nominee for the National Magazine Award, is beloved for tackling everything from pop culture to ancient literature with the same sagacity and wit, and this collection cements that reputation with pieces as wildly di ...more
Published September 30th 2014 by McSweeney's (first published September 9th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Read Harder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Read Harder

James Eckman
Dec 16, 2014 James Eckman rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A collection of literary essays from a magazine I've never heard of, but then I'm a cultural barbarian. Some are fun, some I didn't finish, I fear if I read too much of this stuff I may wind up with a new wardrobe pretending to be tragically hip.
Heather
Jan 07, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
I found this book utterly fascinating. I mean, truly and utterly fascinating. It's a total departure from the kinds of books I usually read, and I am so very happy it caught my eye in the library. If you love to learn new things and find the odd, the trivial, the curious, and the unique to be "fun to learn about", then I highly recommend this book. It's such a diverse collection of essays that I feel all the more educated and cultured for having read it.
Jim
Feb 02, 2015 Jim rated it liked it
Its a nice leisure read on various people and subjects. I've purchased a few Believer publications, its a good read. As i get older i find myself more sceptical of non-fiction, and for good reason, i found a lot of the ideas and statements presented as factual were slanted to support the authors view salon-like
Jessica
Oct 29, 2014 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Leslie
Dec 06, 2014 Leslie rated it really liked it
A wonderful compilation of essays on various eclectic topics. Fans of nonfiction writing should pick this one up. It would make a nice traveling companion instead of the usual magazines.
Warren-Newport Public Library
A good variety of short stories and a good variety of authors. In the handful I read the topics ranged from historical to racial tension to humor. Check it out! (Jessica)
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Vonnie
Vonnie rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
carissa
carissa rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Jeff
Jeff rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Pete
Pete rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2015
Tara
Tara rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Andy Haynes
Andy Haynes rated it liked it
May 29, 2015
Mills College Library
814.6 R283 2014
James Cairns
James Cairns rated it it was ok
Feb 23, 2016
Kayla Bunch
Kayla Bunch rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2016
Julia Prudhomme
Julia Prudhomme rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2015
Anthony D'Errico
Anthony D'Errico rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Janet
Janet rated it it was ok
Aug 15, 2015
Karl
Karl rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Melissa P
Melissa P rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2015
AVN
AVN rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Karenna
Karenna rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2015
Colin
Colin rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2015
Thom
Thom rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Erin Mclaughlin
Erin Mclaughlin rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
  • Reveille in Washington, 1860-65
  • Potluck Supper with Meeting to Follow: Essays
  • The Activist's Handbook: A Primer
  • Peripheral Visions: Learning Along the Way
  • Imagination in Place
  • The Five of Hearts: An Intimate Portrait of Henry Adams and His Friends, 1880-1918
  • Working the Room: Essays and Reviews: 1999-2010
  • East Wind Melts the Ice: A Memoir through the Seasons
  • The Racial Imaginary: Writers on Race in the Life of the Mind
  • Mysteries of the Mall and Other Essays
  • God Of All Comfort
  • The Other Walk: Essays
  • Monument Wars: Washington, D.C.,  the National Mall, and the Transformation of the Memorial Landscape
  • Scribble, Scribble, Scribble: Writings on Ice Cream, Obama, Churchill & My Mother
  • My Dear Bessie: A Love Story in Letters
  • Die Enden der Welt
  • A Colossal Wreck: A Road Trip Through Political Scandal, Corruption and American Culture
  • Ulysses And Us: The Art Of Everyday Living
Heidi Suzanne Julavits is an American author and co-editor of The Believer magazine. She has been published in The Best Creative Nonfiction Vol. 2, Esquire, Story, Zoetrope All-Story, and McSweeney's Quarterly. Her novels include The Mineral Palace (2000), The Effect of Living Backwards (2003) and The Uses of Enchantment (2006) and The Vanishers (2012).

She was born and grew up in Portland, Maine,
More about Heidi Julavits...

Read Hard (2 books)