Start by marking “Mani-Pedi STAT: Memoirs of a Jersey Girl Who Almost Lost Everything” as Want to Read:
Mani-Pedi STAT: Memoirs of a Jersey Girl Who Almost Lost Everything

Mani-Pedi STAT: Memoirs of a Jersey Girl Who Almost Lost Everything

A laugh-out-loud funny, sassy, helpful, and profoundly honest memoir, Mani-Pedi STAT chronicles Deb Ebenstein’s two bouts with cancer, and a rare blood disorder, between the ages of sixteen and thirty-three. Navigating cancer treatments while continuing to balance real life and then returning to a world she doesn’t quite recognize anymore, her story is told through the eye ...more
Published November 11th 2014 by Rare Bird Books, A Vireo Book (first published September 22nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Mani-Pedi STAT, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mani-Pedi STAT

Heathero215
Nov 30, 2014 Heathero215 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in 3 days... I could not put it down. Do not let the title sway you. This is not a book about some superficial girl obsessed with having her nails done. This book describes a young girl's very long struggle with cancer. Although I know many women who have suffered through the diagnosis, treatment and the aftermath of cancer, I've never truly known what is happening to a person -- physically and mentally. Deb gets down to the nitty gritty. She made me laugh, cringe and cry (sad ...more
Anna
Oct 28, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing
I literally could not wait to write this article/review on Mani-Pedi Stat. As soon as I found out, about a month ago, that a Rye Brook resident, Deb Ebenstein, had written a memoir, I just had to read it. Deb was kind enough to drop off the manuscript and I delved into it whole-heartedly. I love to read and go through books quickly and then am so sad they are over. Mani-Pedi Stat was no exception. Although about a very serious subject, cancer, this book reads very easily, almost like a ...more
Ann-marie
Sep 21, 2016 Ann-marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was gifted a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. That in no way changes my opinion of this book.

Given the title, I was in for a real surprise when I started reading Mani-Pedi. It was not at all what I expected, but that is what made it even more enjoyable. But be forewarned- you will laugh, you will cry, and feel every other emotion in between. But you will not be disappointed.

This is a memoir about a young woman and her fight with cancer, the support of her husb
Krutula
Oct 10, 2014 Krutula rated it it was ok
Mani-Pedi STAT chronicles Deb Ebenstein’s two bouts with cancer, and a rare blood disorder, between the ages of 16 and 33. Navigating cancer treatments while continuing to balance real life and then returning to a world she doesn’t quite recognize anymore, her story is told through the eyes of a bright-eyed Jersey girl who loves boys, sports, fashion, and ultimately a family of her own.

Deb discovers that at the very worst of times—when her body is bloated and her future is uncertain and bleak—th
Helen Hammond
Jul 08, 2015 Helen Hammond rated it really liked it
I was fortunate enough to meet the author when she was visiting Charleston last week. She is a little fire-ball with a helluva story to tell.
I admired her candor in describing her multiple unfavorable ordeals with her health. The old adage rings true, "if you don't have your health, you don't have anything." Well, {spoiler alert}, Deb fully understands this and has the life she was not sure she would ever be able to have.
This was an easy read, and man, it made me miss New York!
I am sharing thi
Katarina
Sep 19, 2014 Katarina rated it it was amazing
Wow...what a book.

Extremely powerful, yet manages to tug at your heartstrings and a few pages later laugh out loud.

Very well written, and so honest when describing what cancer diagnosis and treatment are really like. How it overshadows your life and every thought, but sometimes you want to get away from it and feel a little bit normal...like when you have a mani pedi.

I highly recommend this book to anyone, it's an outstanding book.
Kathleen
Dec 29, 2014 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Beautiful memoir of a Jersey girl's two bouts with cancer, the first during high school and the second as an adult in her 30s. I found it very touching, funny and relatable, and think it would be a perfect gift for someone who's going through cancer treatment and feeling a bit lost (or perhaps for that person's loved ones, so they can have a sense of what it's like on the other side).
Darlene
Mar 27, 2015 Darlene rated it liked it
This was a touching, informative look at a young girl's journey through cancer and adjusting to life after treatment with the threat of recurrence and damage from the therapies always casting a shadow on life.
Helen
Aug 21, 2016 Helen rated it liked it
Mani-Pedi STAT tells the story of a young woman's courageous fight against evil C. This story could be a helpful inspirational read for someone facing a deadly disease. Better than an average read - on a 10 point scale, I'd give it 7 out of 10.
Regmg1
Nov 09, 2015 Regmg1 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: to women
Recommended to Regmg1 by: our book club's selection for Nov.
you go through emotions of Deb. She was a real fighter when she realized she had to be truthful about herself. Her husband, Andrew, was a tremendous support. Our book club went to a book fair and she spoke. Excellent. I got her to sign my book.
Mar 22, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This is not a memoir about a superficial Jersey Girl, like you might expect from the title. It's a great memoir about fighting cancer and the after-effects of long term illness. It's raw and emotional without being depressing.
Lisa
Lisa rated it did not like it
Aug 24, 2016
Wendy Ruth
Wendy Ruth rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Mara
Mara rated it did not like it
Dec 05, 2015
Danielle
Danielle rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Heather Jenkins
Heather Jenkins rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2015
Scott Wolf
Scott Wolf rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Hillary
Hillary rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2015
Suzanne McCrosson
Suzanne McCrosson rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2016
Randy
Randy rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Jessy
Jessy rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2014
Sherri
Sherri rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2015
Jen Horan
Jen Horan rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2014
Kali
Kali rated it liked it
May 04, 2015
Randie
Randie rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2014
Ellen Pilch
Ellen Pilch rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
  • The New Mediterranean Jewish Table: Old World Recipes for the Modern Home
  • You Are The One: A Bold Adventure in Finding Purpose, Discovering the Real You, and Loving Fully
  • The Little Book of Healthy Beauty: Simple Daily Habits to Get You Glowing
  • Perfectly Imperfect: How to Be Imperfect and Remain Lovable
  • Coping with Anxiety: 10 Simple Ways to Relieve Anxiety, Fear, and Worry
  • Housebroken: Admissions of an Untidy Life
  • Thirty Tomorrows: The Next Three Decades of Globalization, Demographics, and How We Will Live
  • Revenge of Jesus
  • Fabulosity Is You! A Woman's Guide For Building Her Confidence, Fashion Tips, Weight Loss Tips, Skin Care Secrets, Relationships and Pursuing Her Purpose
  • Kings of Colorado
  • Jersey Heat
  • A Better Way to Think: Using Positive Thoughts to Change Your Life
  • Why Is the Dalai Lama Always Smiling?: A Westerner's Introduction and Guide to Tibetan Buddhist Practice
  • When God Interrupts: Finding New Life Through Unwanted Change
  • Orphan Train: by Christina Baker Kline -- Sidekick
  • Cracking the Aging Code: The New Science of Growing Old-And What It Means for Staying Young
  • Manless in Montclair: Love, Loss, Excessive Dating