Start by marking “Painless Writing” as Want to Read:
Painless Writing

Painless Writing

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  79 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Titles in Barron's Painless Series are textbook supplements designed especially for classroom use by middle-school and high school students. The approach of each title is an appeal to students who think that the subject is boring, or too difficult, or both. The authors, all experienced educators, take a light approach, showing kids what is most interesting about each subje ...more
Published September 1st 2001 by Barron's Educational Series (first published July 31st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Painless Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Painless Writing

Fleur_de_soie
Jul 25, 2015 Fleur_de_soie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and clear. Help you with your term paper with 8 techniques. I use this book to improve my academic writing skill. Very useful, I think. However, I am a bit shamed to read it, when it says in the book that it was written for students struggling with their first term paper. I have read several materials on academic writing. Almost all of them turned up to be boring or useless. So far this is the best one I have seen. Believe it or not.
Dianne
Apr 03, 2015 Dianne rated it liked it
Shelves: review-written
"Painless Writing" is another necessary addition to the series, a very clear and engaging book with sample problems and solutions. It has good, relatable examples and covers a variety of techniques that can be helpful to amateurs. Though it emphasizes on concise and direct writing, it can be too verbose and a little digressive (such as the introduction of prepositions without follow the book's note-like presentation). The science examples are (disappointingly) English opinions rather than scient ...more
Karen
Apr 23, 2012 Karen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I would like to read based on the review by Meg O'Rourke (M.A. in English from Cal Poly Pomona) in the January 2012 issue of "Language Magazine". Here are the first 2 paragraphs of her review:

"Painless Writing is just that. In clear, concise and engaging language, it provides students with nine techniques to help them improve their writing style. The often arduous process of attending to style becomes painless with the help of witty chapter titles, such as 'Clean up Preposition Cl
VampAmber
Oct 15, 2014 VampAmber rated it liked it
I checked this out from the public library in hopes that it would help me with writing articles as a freelancer. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that it was intended for middle school students until I was almost done with it. Had I been a middle schooler trying to learn how to write term papers, this book would've been a lot better. But since I wasn't, I had to give it only three stars. There were some helpful bits, and I'll be able to use some of this with my articles, so it wasn't time wasted. ...more
Cynthia Egbert
Jan 12, 2015 Cynthia Egbert rated it liked it
I hesitated between two and three stars on this one. Some of my students have benefitted from it but others have really hated it. I think it has value if utilized properly and with the right person.
Ramnik
Jul 12, 2015 Ramnik added it
I enjoyed reading this book and learned a lot from it.
May 23, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
I thought this middle grades text was helpful in intermediate school.
Shivani Garg
Jan 09, 2014 Shivani Garg rated it really liked it
I will recommend this book to anyone who wants to improve upon their comprehension skills. This book teaches simple yet effective ways to improve your written English. Highly useful for graduate students too who struggle with writing papers all the time!
Christine
Mar 23, 2009 Christine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves:
Jeffrey Strausser's Painless Writing has immensely helped me with my writing. The lessons are clear and insightful. In addition, I've found writing to be more exciting and fun through working out the exercises in this book. I must admit though that I started to read it only recently. I still have a long way to go to improve my writing, but overall this book is the bomb! A definite read and it works great as a reference book.
Amanda
Nov 30, 2007 Amanda rated it really liked it
i liked the pictures that were in it. overall i thought it was a good college essay help book, because it gave me a lot of fresh ideas to work with and i like how my essay has turned out. i defenitly recommend this book when they get stuck with boring writing it makes.
Ksenia Chernyshova
Jan 07, 2015 Ksenia Chernyshova rated it did not like it
there are some useful tips, but I guess the book is mainly for students without any writing experience
Hugo Guillén
Hugo Guillén rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Sophia Pun
Sophia Pun marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Clinton Sites
Clinton Sites marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Ravi
Ravi marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Blain8801
Blain8801 rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Clark Judkins
Clark Judkins rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
Erynchen
Erynchen marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it it was ok
Apr 27, 2016
Caitlin Bickel
Caitlin Bickel marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Nazire
Nazire marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
D.J Bussiere
D.J Bussiere rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Rebecca Loyd
Rebecca Loyd marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Alkawsar
Alkawsar marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Joseph
Joseph added it
Feb 19, 2016
C
C marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Painless Grammar
  • Painless Algebra
  • Guide to Fiction Writing
  • Showing & Telling: Learn How to Show & When to Tell for Powerful & Balanced Writing
  • Texts and Contexts: Writing About Literature with Critical Theory
  • How to Write a Damn Good Thriller: A Step-by-Step Guide for Novelists and Screenwriters
  • If You're So Smart, How Come You Can't Spell Mississippi?
  • The Dramatic Writer's Companion: Tools to Develop Characters, Cause Scenes, and Build Stories
  • Get Known Before the Book Deal: Use Your Personal Strengths to Grow an Author Platform
  • Cause of Death: A Writer's Guide to Death, Murder, and Forensic Medicine
  • The Power of Point of View: Make Your Story Come to Life
  • Grammar Girl Presents the Ultimate Writing Guide for Students
  • History: The Definitive Visual Guide
  • Writing on Both Sides of the Brain: Breakthrough Techniques for People Who Write
  • Line by Line: How to Edit Your Own Writing
  • The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need: A One-Stop Source for Every Writing Assignment
  • Easy Spanish Step-By-Step: Master High-Frequency Grammar for Spanish Proficiency-FAST!
  • Character