Start by marking “What Patients Taught Me: A Medical Student's Journey” as Want to Read:
What Patients Taught Me: A Medical Student's Journey

What Patients Taught Me: A Medical Student's Journey

Do sleek high-tech hospitals teach more about medicine and less about humanity? Do doctors ever lose their tolerance for suffering? With sensitive observation and graceful prose, this book explores some of the difficult and deeply personal questions a 23-year-old doctor confronts with her very first dying patient, and continues to struggle with as she strives to become a g ...more
Published July 31st 2007 by Sasquatch Books (first published August 31st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about What Patients Taught Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Patients Taught Me

Ahmed
Apr 08, 2014 Ahmed rated it really liked it
Actually this book turned out to be a little treat for me. I stumbled across this book by going through my wife's library and at first glance thought to myself: it seems a bit cheesy! But nonetheless, I've decided to give it a chance and read it.

It wonderfully chronicles the tale of a medical student who went through her clinical training in non-academic establishments far away from urban civilization. However, to me it was more than just a well written memoir. It opened my eyes towards a very
Mary
Jul 05, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
After hearing that many foreign doctors practice in my home town, Yakima, because it is considered an underserved rural community (medical-wise) I was interested in reading What Patients Taught Me because it related the experiences of the author in a medical education program run by the UW to increase the numbers of general practitioners in rural regions of Washington, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana. Apparently the program is successful. Young writes very well about her experiences, although she som ...more
Emily
May 09, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, meridian
Dr. Audrey Young chronicles her varied clinical experiences through her medical school and training. Participating in a program designed to encourage physicians to consider rural medicine, Dr. Young travels from the bustling Seattle metropolis to the tiny town of Bethel, Alaska, for her first experience with “real” patients. Among the heavily Yupik Eskimo population, she begins to glimpse the depth of the challenges that physicians juggle. She discovers that the social and cultural context is vi ...more
Kim
Jul 31, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
A very thoughtful memoir of Dr. Young's medical school rotations in various parts of the WAMI region. An easy, enjoyable read. I appreciated how she put so much effort into reflecting on her experiences and trying to understand how interactions with patient's impacted her.
Stephanie
Jan 10, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What Patients Taught Me by Dr. Audrey Young was an incredible look into medical school rotations. Dr. Young spent her rotations in drastically different places from Seattle hospitals to rural clinics to Africa. Each place had different stories and different people. Each story touched me a different way and gave me insight into what it means to be a doctor.

This book was full of true stories, some I couldn't even believe happened to real people. But they did. And that is what makes this book so po
Josephine Ensign
Jun 30, 2014 Josephine Ensign rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book of Young's much better than her more recent book The House of Hope and Fear. She does a good job of intertwining her own story of becoming a physician with stories of her patients across a range of settings in 'WWAMI-land' (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska,Montana, and Idaho)--as well as in her brief stint in Swaziland. Engaging and polished with the exception of the last chapter which seemed disjointed and unfinished to me.
Leeann
May 16, 2015 Leeann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay. It opened my mind to the benefits of future doctors traveling.

maybe because I have no intentions of being a doctor I did not feel that the book made a lasting impression on me.

Audrey's travel tales were nice. she depicted her pain of losing an infant patient very well.

still, I would have loved to know more of the action. If she has a book about her experiences working in a Seattle emergency room, I'd love to read the memoir.
Scott
Sep 27, 2012 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. I liked it a lot more than The House of God. It's hopeful and optimistic. She talks about the good aspects of being a doctor as well as the bad/tough/hard parts. She is part of this cool program at the University of Washington called WWAMI, which stands for Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Idaho.

The school sends the medical students to rural clinics and hospitals in these places (the author also did a rotation in Swaziland) to learn about rural medicine. Practicing medicine in pl
Alyssa
Jul 09, 2015 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this perspective and how it focused on her journey through learning from her patients. Patients are the most important part of being a doctor, but is often overlooked. A great and informative read!
Julie Jennings
Jun 10, 2014 Julie Jennings rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Young's writing is raw and heartfelt, giving you clear insight into the mission of providing care for those that are not easy to care for...a must read for those going into the health care field.
Christy
Jan 26, 2016 Christy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medical, memoir
Good insights into medical care. Pretty graphic in places. Compelling reasoning about what's worng with medical care in the US today.
Deborah
Jan 20, 2016 Deborah rated it liked it
Good book and most of it interesting -- no rush to finish it like with some other novels!
Duc Hoang
The book is fine, somewhat interesting but not really captivating. It lacks the intense feelings and excitements I got when reading Gawande's books. Nevertheless, there are stories from faraway lands like Alaska and Africa you may enjoy.

The WWAMI system seems promising, maybe we can try it here, in Vietnam so that the burdens on many central hospitals are lessened, patients get better healthcare, and doctors can do their job more efficiently.
Nancy
Jan 29, 2012 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, health
This is a short series of stories about the transition from book-learning to working with actual people. The stories are interesting but not riveting. While I finished it in one rainy day, it is probably best for a situation where you will be interrupted and want something easy to pick up and put down--perhaps a multi-transfer plane trip.
Ann
Nov 17, 2013 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting first person account of what medical school is like for a Dr. who chooses the less beaten path by doing residences in remote hospitals in Alaska, the West, etc. I enjoyed reading about the alternatives to med school that put Dr.'s in more direct contact with patients for a short time.
Amber VanDuyn
Mar 30, 2009 Amber VanDuyn rated it liked it
Great look into the life of a medical student, the motivations of practicing medicine, and interesting patient cases. Also loved the details about the UW medical school and WWAMI program that are very real to me as a UW student. Easy to read and stay engaged in.
Heather
Mar 05, 2009 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was somehow nowhere near as emotional and good or in the trenches as a memoir from a med student could be. i think the biggest thing you take away from it is rural versus urban medicine. i wanted more from it and was a bit disappointed.
Kimberley Smith
Oct 15, 2014 Kimberley Smith rated it it was ok

I find the author somewhat naive, as students usually are, fresh faced and optimistic with morals she has learnt from books. Quite clinical, but an ok read nonetheless.
Angela
Apr 05, 2011 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now I'm even more excited at the prospect of getting into UW and exploring WWAMI-land.
Jess
Feb 14, 2012 Jess rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay, but not much more. It was an interesting read.
Sep 03, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sort of meandering, nothing terribly profound to say.
Patrick Ackley
This is a great read by a terrific story teller.
Amy
Jun 14, 2009 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, non-fiction
Interesting, but not an attention-grabber.
Sue
Dec 13, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Sweet little book.
Heidi
Feb 02, 2011 Heidi rated it it was ok
got boring very quickly..
Todd Sherman
Todd Sherman marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Taylor
Taylor added it
Sep 23, 2016
Heidihark
Heidihark rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Caitlyn
Caitlyn marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Lana
Lana marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
  • What I Learned in Medical School: Personal Stories of Young Doctors
  • White Coat: Becoming A Doctor At Harvard Medical School
  • Becoming a Doctor: A Journey of Initiation in Medical School
  • Singular Intimacies: Becoming a Doctor at Bellevue
  • On Call: A Doctor's Days and Nights in Residency
  • Bedside Manners: One Doctor's Reflections on the Oddly Intimate Encounters Between Patient and Healer
  • Something for the Pain: Compassion and Burnout in the ER
  • The Intern Blues: The Timeless Classic About the Making of a Doctor
  • A Not Entirely Benign Procedure: Four Years as a Medical Student
  • Med School Confidential: A Complete Guide to the Medical School Experience: By Students, for Students
  • Just Here Trying to Save a Few Lives: Tales of Life and Death from the ER