Start by marking “The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle” as Want to Read:
The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle

The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  464 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
A collection of annals written in Old English narrating the history of Anglo-Saxons.
Published April 1st 2007 by Echo Library (first published 890)

To ask other readers questions about The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle

Beowulf by UnknownThe World of Late Antiquity 150-750 by Peter R.L. BrownThe Year 1000 by Robert LaceyRoman Britain and Early England, 55 BC-AD871 by Peter Hunter BlairHow the Irish Saved Civilization by Thomas Cahill
Dark age European history
21st out of 139 books — 42 voters
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryAll Together Dead by Charlaine HarrisThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainAnimal Farm by George OrwellAlice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Good Books that Begin with A
239th out of 418 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Fiona Robson
Feb 16, 2013 Fiona Robson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've intended to read this for some time now, but the Bernard Cornwell books kind of chivvied me on a bit! Why oh why oh why isn't this stuff taught in schools?????!!! It's absolutely fascinating! I had no idea William the Conqueror was such a tyrant! Of course, everything about Alfred is fascinating, but all of it was so interesting! Can feel a letter to Michael Gove coming on ...
Deborah Pickstone
I will acquire my own copy - an indispensable reference for anyone interested in Dark Ages/ Middle Ages - and fascinating, to boot!
Jan-Maat
The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle is a blend of the accessible for example the continuous narrative of the King Stephen's reign with its well-known phrase "and men said openly that Christ and His saints slept" and the difficult - brief entries that presumably were full of significance when they were written but hard to understand without a fuller context.

It's believed that the chronicle was started in the reign of Alfred the Great - entries from that point are full and remain fairly detailed for some ye
Malcolm Little
I did not rate the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles as I would a work of fiction or even indeed a work of creative non-fiction. The work of the English chroniclers from a millennia ago is counted as a historical document. So how could I rate a historical document 3/5? There wasn’t anything wrong with the translations, so what gives?

Well, as with any chronicling of an era, historians have certain duties: to remain unbiased, to capture all walks of life, and to be accurate in regards to people, places and t
B. Hawk
Nov 08, 2011 B. Hawk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, old-english
As the first full translation of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle since 1953, Swanton's volume delivers an important text in a medium that is accessible for any reader. It is apparent that this work is the direct beneficiary of work in recent decades on the various manuscripts and versions of the Chronicle, and this is reflected in the fact that all of the extant versions are translated and presented in a comparative layout. Furthermore, the copious footnotes to the translation provide numerous comment ...more
Linda Orvis
Mar 22, 2008 Linda Orvis rated it liked it
Recommends it for: English history fans
Recommended to Linda by: My English Literature Reading List
I borrowed a friend's card to the Cal State Fullerton Library to check out three volumes at a time of the 14-volume set. The books were kept on one of the top floors, and they were old and smelled like mold...mmm, my favorite book-smell. I can't believe that now the condensed set can be ordered in paperback! It took me several months to read the meticulous writing of ancient monks, (translated from Old English) and I learned so much about how the world was viewed by these scholarly men of the 9t ...more
Aubrey Bierwirth
I trudged through this for awhile. There are things I find incredibly interesting and that are so helpful for contextualization, but for just sitting down and reading, bits like the lists of bishops' deaths can get a bit frustrating.

However, there are some real jewels in the entries, like the fiery dragons in the sky, the founding/naming of towns, or the extensive description of medieval torture that stood out to me. I like how the king's ancestry is traced at first to Woden, then eventually to
Sarahandus
Dec 16, 2015 Sarahandus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This is not a book you start at the beginning and go on to the end. Unless you are more patient than I am as it's a list of happenings through the years.
Of course it helps if you know something about England's history. Then following the course of history through the eyes of some monk gives a different perspective of that history.
Jur
Sep 26, 2014 Jur marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medieval, own
For some reason, my friend Nick felt it was necessary to give me a copy of Garmonsway's Anglo-Saxon Chronicle. I've had much fun looking at the differences between the versions and sifting through the kind of stuff that would interest the monks that wrote it: the death and installation of popes, bishops and abbots. Never forget that most of our impressions of medieval monarchs are based on the opinion of ecclesiastics, who had their own axes to grind.
Patrick\
Apr 21, 2008 Patrick\ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british-history
Translated and edited by Mr. Anglo-Saxon, Michael Swanton. The Brit Saxons honored Church time and recorded it by memorable events. Most of it is real history, some fantasy, all attempted to be accurate and worth keeping around. A big work and one that will give hours of either boredom or enjoyment. If the imagination is unleashed, enjoyment follows. I suggest that reader direction. Recommended to Brit history folk.
Jeffrey Smith
Found it interesting how fully develped soceity was 1,000 years ago in the Early Middle Ages. Now I know what life was like back in the 12th Century when my earliest recorded ancestors lived. Reading the book was like reading the Bible book of Numbers. Some good stories, but buried in a chronoloical record that was maintained by Norman Monks.
Allie
Jan 20, 2009 Allie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent text, bought to supplement my own class textbooks, containing seven passages from the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles, in their original Old English. A facing-page glossary is provided for beginning students. Clear, simple passages allow the student to gain confidence in their abilities to translate from the ancient tongue.
Richard Epstein
Although important, this is tedious. About all I remember is that whilst Alfred was distracted by Charlotte, the diligent and inspiring spider, he burnt his cakes, which led to his being known forever after as The Alfred the Unready.
Kate
Apr 26, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medieval
Once you have even a passing knowledge of the Anglo-Saxons, you'll probably want to read through the Chronicle. Whitelock's translation features side-by-side versions of each manuscript when sources differ.
William Harris
May 17, 2014 William Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well compiled from multiple medieval versions. This printing includes side text which helps put the entries in better context.
Roseanna
Jun 02, 2007 Roseanna added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historians and archaeologists
this book contains a historical documentation of events in england most of which is not exact but is interesting nevertheless
Annie
Aug 06, 2012 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a bit monotonous as it is a chronicle not a telling. History buffs like me will find it interesting.
sologdin
Nov 25, 2014 sologdin rated it it was ok
proves conclusively that arturus rex led a golden age after they kicked out the bloody romans.
Heather Domin
3 stars for this particular translation and e-book formatting. (It was free after all.)
Linkpead
Mar 08, 2013 Linkpead rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I skimmed the rest of this. It's interesting from a historical perspective.
James Violand
Jun 13, 2014 James Violand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs
Shelves: own
Great historical review of Britain.
Aug 01, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Britain's real bible!
Ian Towart
Ian Towart marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Sotiris Karaiskos
Sotiris Karaiskos marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Saoirse T. E. Sterling
Saoirse T. E. Sterling marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Geoff Cartwright
Geoff Cartwright rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2016
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
  • Alfred the Great: Asser's Life of King Alfred and Other Contemporary Sources
  • Anglo-Saxon England (Oxford History of England)
  • The Anglo-Saxons
  • A Guide to Old English
  • The Anglo-Saxon World: An Anthology
  • Ecclesiastical History of the English People
  • The History of the Franks
  • Anglo-Saxon Poetry (Everyman's Library)
  • The Journey Through Wales & The Description of Wales
  • The Origins of the Second World War
  • Old English and Its Closest Relatives: A Survey of the Earliest Germanic Languages
  • Feudal Society, Volume 2
  • Alfred the Great: The Man Who Made England
  • The History of the Kings of Britain
  • A History of Wales
  • Concise Anglo-Saxon Dictionary
  • Saxo Grammaticus: The History of the Danes, Books I-IX: I. English Text; II. Commentary
  • A History of the Crusades, Vol. I: The First Crusade and the Foundations of the Kingdom of Jerusalem
Various is the correct author for any book with multiple unknown authors, and is acceptable for books with multiple known authors, especially if not all are known or the list is very long (over 50).

If an editor is known, however, Various is not necessary. List the name of the editor as the primary author (with role "editor"). Contributing authors' names follow it.

Note: WorldCat is an excellent res
More about Various...