As a Gentleman Would Say: Responses to Life's Important (and Sometimes Awkward) Situations

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  11 reviews
This easily accessible book focuses on those moments when knowing exactly what to say is an absolutely necessary challenge. From the light-hearted "how to react when someone turns you down for a date" or "what to say when you notice someone's fly is open" to the more serious "what to say to a co-worker who has had a miscarriage or to a friend who has suffered the sudden de...more
Published May 1st 2001 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about As a Gentleman Would Say, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As a Gentleman Would Say

Mr Gerald
Very good book for key understanding of enhancing the gentleman in you!
Luke
Great little book with pragmatic advice to verbally jiu-jitsu your way through some awkward moments in life.

-a gentleman does not interrupt ever.
-a gentleman is slow to judge others
-say congratulations to groom, say best wishes to bride
-a gentleman dies not raise his voice
-a gentleman never says sorry unless he has given offense
-don't fluff around w "I don't mean to embarrass you but..."
-don't ask someone's age
-if you call someone it is up to you to finish convo
-don't answer phone at table or i...more
Jillian
Nov 23, 2011 Jillian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: David Ray and Clayton Snow
I bought this book as a gift for a male friend at a used bookstore and read it in a half an hour. It was very cute and helpful, especially if you ever happen to yell out the wrong name in bed. I didn't think that was a gaff someone could recover from, but I was wrong!
Benson
Jan 22, 2008 Benson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Benson by: my parents :-)
A fun read. Not all of it is applicable in our day, but most of it is. The world can always use more gentlemen. This is a fun coffee table read to clue men in on how to avoid the awkward and offensive moments we can be prone to invite.
Josh
I thought this book had a lot of good advice on how to deal with difficult situations and general manners in speaking and conversing. I enjoyed it. However, I found much of the advice to be common sense.
Brian
Amazing book for me to learn what to say in awkward situations. I learned better manners and re-read it outloud to the boys and discussed every item. Everybody should read this book.
Kevin Meers
Solid book - outlines the Platonic view of etiquette. I'm not sure any man, no matter how gentlemanly, could ever act as laid out here, however.
Nick
Very similar to the other book in this series. I don't feel like writing the same review twice so I'll leave it at that.
Mike "Poet"
Good book that have gotten yours truly out of tough situations.
Andreas
Great & funny. Strongly recommend this issue. Kindest regards, A.
Bill
This book is insultingly basic, but I begrudgingly picked up one tip.
Hannibal Smith
Hannibal Smith is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2014
Sam Waddell
Sam Waddell marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Gregory Haney
Gregory Haney marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Aniedi Udo
Aniedi Udo marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Tony Ramos
Tony Ramos marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Honorable Azis
Honorable Azis marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
John Bridges is the author of the bestselling book, HOW TO BE A GENTLEMAN, today's most popular guide to etiquette for the modern man. When it comes to handling any issue related to courtesy, common or uncommon -- whether it's how to use a shrimp fork, how to conduct yourself in a business meeting, or knowing when to turn off your cell phone -- John is "Mr. Right."

"Over the course of my life, I've...more
More about John Bridges...
How to Be a Gentleman: A Contemporary Guide to Common Courtesy 50 Things Every Young Gentleman Should Know A Gentleman Gets Dressed Up: What to Wear, When to Wear It, How to Wear It A Gentleman Entertains: A Guide to Making Memorable Occasions Happen A Gentleman at the Table: A Concise, Contemporary Guide to Table Manners