Start by marking “Un Rayo de Luz = On a Beam of Light” as Want to Read:
Un Rayo de Luz = On a Beam of Light

Un Rayo de Luz = On a Beam of Light (K-Pax #2)

Five years after having escaped from a mental institution in Manhattan, the being known as prot has returned. Now, in sixteen sessions with psychiatrist Gene Brewer, prot reveals that he has come back to escort a chosen few to his home planet of K-PAX.
Published June 1st 2003 by Ediciones Urano (first published 2001)

Becca Becca
Was not nearly as good as the first book. Lots of plot holes. Quick read, though, for those that loved the first book.
The sequel to K Pax (

It concentrates more on the doctor's idea that prot is the alter-ego of Robert, and trying to uncover the traumas that made Robert retreat (partly with hypnosis), but otherwise it doesn't add much to the story; reads like padding for the middle section of the first book.

The balance of the first book is gone; although prot's extraordinary powers are noted and unexplained, the presumption is very much that prot is an alter ego of Rob
Allison C. McCulloch
i know I read this book and waited forever for it. And I know that despite promises that the third one was going to be released in America, I looked for it and never found it. RIP K-PAX Series.
Oct 10, 2008 rivka rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who wanted to know what happened after K-PAX
The first book, K-PAX, was clearly satire and poked at various aspects of the world today. But it was gentle satire, and a riveting story aside from its satirical points.

This book tries to continue the story of Robert Porter, but it gets so bogged down in ramming its satirical -- and no longer remotely gentle -- points home that it loses sight of both plot and characters. We get it: the author is a militant atheist and vegan.

I gave it two stars instead of one because the continued story of Robe
Jan 08, 2010 Simon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Wish Brewer had left it after the first book. Tempting to want to find out what happened next but it was better as a single novel.
David Ward
On a Beam of Light (K-PAX #2) by Gene Brewer (St. Martin's Paperbacks 2001)(Fiction - Science Fiction) is the second installment in the K-PAX series. Prot returns to his body at the hospital after a five year absence. This story just keeps getting better! My rating: 8.5/10, finished 2010.
The sequel to "K-Pax".
I haven't read the first book (just saw the movie which I love) although my husband has, and said the movie followed the book closely.
This took up where that left off, with Prot and Robert.
Not as intriguing, but still a fun easy read.
Katherine Jones
Jul 01, 2010 Katherine Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chad Gibbons
Jul 25, 2011 Chad Gibbons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This follow-up to K-PAX is actually better than the original. If you like prot, you owe it to yourself to read this.
Stijn De Meyere
A nice follow-up on the first K-Pax book. This isn't the greatest literature around, but I like the story and the characters, and I find some of the concepts intriguing.
Jan 02, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Touching, funny, and rather ridiculous. It's definitely worth the read if you like K-PAX (and as a K-PAX fan I enjoyed it), but don't expect a masterpiece.
Steve Haywood
Jan 08, 2012 Steve Haywood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology, fiction
Sequel to K-Pax also by Gene Brewer[return][return]It s been years since Prot was last at the Manhattan Psychiatric Institute, years in which Robert Porter was rigid and unresponsive to any outside stimuli. But now Prot is back, and Dr Brewer has only a short time to try and cure Robert, before Prot leaves again.[return][return]In many ways I enjoyed this book more than the first. Much of the magic of Prot is lost, as the author digs deeper into Robert Porter s psyche, and we meet his other pers ...more
Oct 01, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When prot left, he said he's be back in five years. It is now five years later and prot returns MPI. Few of the same patients remain although all the current patients seem to know him. While prot spends some time with various patients (more often than not helping them 'heal' themselves), he and Robert are being slowly pieced together through therapy and hypnotism. Are they one and the same person? Will prot return to K-Pax or is earth his real home?

I was so pleased to find this book and reading
Aug 28, 2014 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as good as the first one. more of the same really. still want to read the next one though :)
Gordon Love
Gordon Love rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2016
Elena rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2013
Cathrine Bonham
Sep 27, 2013 Cathrine Bonham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
prot returns in this sequel to K-Pax. I liked this book in that it gave much better closure to Prot's human host Rob Porter. It was sad leaving him as a catatonic at the end of K-pax.

The novel retains the ambiguity about whether Prot is actually an alien visitor or rather just one of Rob's multiple personalities, speaking of which, we meet more in this book.

Life does not help maters any. The library shelves it in the science fiction section. But I first heard of K-pax from a list of the best fi
From what I remember of this story, it still flirts with the idea that Prot is a fantasy, I began to feel bored by this one and figured I'd stop with this one so as to not ruin the start of a nice fanciful possibility of an alien visiting a man on Earth.
Przemek Kołowski
Przemek Kołowski rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2014
Mar 20, 2014 Eve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant second book in what so far is one of my most favourite series. Makes me wonder though. Why can we only see the problems of our world when they are pointed out from the perspective of an outsider? Perhaps because it is so effective, clear-cut and objective. I love books that make me think. This one has certainly achieved that.
Aug 29, 2014 Szilvia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
Right after the first book, I had to start immediately with the second of this trilogy! We learn a lot more about Robert, his childhood, but I have to say that prot is still the best part :)
Andy Smith
Weeell... what was I expecting? You can't top a work as fine as K-Pax. Brewer tried his best, but didn't quite make it.

In an effort to rekindle the magic of the first novel, Brewer is forced to rely on a growing cast of eccentric secondary characters, Dr Brewer's relationship with Rob, prot's schizophrenic alter-ego (or is it the other way round?), and a pair of sad gimmicks, Paul and Harry. prot himself is reduced to proselytism, answering fan-mail and TV show appearances, before simply (accord
Ando Mando
I was enjoying this for about a hundred pages then I found it far too similar to the first novel which was excellent. Gave up on page 195 with about 30 pages left as I just figured... 'life's too short'. If prot was real I doubt he wouldn't have cared less. I won't bother with part 3.
Simon Vandereecken
“Recycling is like putting a Band-Aid on a tumor, doc. And where are you going to plant a tree when there’s no place left to plant it?”

Un deuxième volume dévoré d'une traite (dommage qu'il n'ait jamais été traduit d'ailleurs), tout aussi palpitant que le premier (ce qui est rare et à signaler donc), qui nous ramène Prot alors que Robert était plongé dans un état catatonique complet. Les séances défilent tandis que les mystères de la vie de Robert se délient, et que l'intrigue K-Pax s'approfondit
Moni Ruiz
May 30, 2015 Moni Ruiz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
If you are studying psychology, you totally have to read this book. It's amazing, and it leaves you wondering if prot is really and alien.
Dec 18, 2015 Adrian rated it really liked it
Un buen libro que resuelve muchas de las dudas del viaje y procedencia de prot. Buena continuación que se centra más en Rob y que nos muestra a un prot que quiere ayudar a Rob. Deja con ganas de más porque deja algunos interrogantes importantes ;).
Eloise Stone
Dec 11, 2015 Eloise Stone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Maybe partly a bit too naive with it's "happy ending", where all the sort of loose ends get tied together rather nicely, but sometimes it can be even refreshing to read a book like this - what a positive change to all the tragic/dramatic storylines :P

I must agree - Prot's ideas and suggestions to human kind are as accurate and important today as they were at the time this book was written. I like how the author provides us his concerns regarding human kind's lifestyle and unavoidable doom.

And ju
Matt Spaulding
A quick, simple, enjoyable read. Not quite as good as it's predecessor, but still not bad. It lacks a really deep story, so there isn't a ton to seek your teeth in to, but that doesn't stop it from being interesting, especially if you like psychology.
May 01, 2016 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just like in my real life, I want to believe. I want to believe prot truly is an alien from K Pax and not just a person with Dissociative Identity Disorder. I want to believe prot has information that can save our planet from this barely tame species of animals on a collision course with doom from war, nuclear waste, GMO's, chemtrails, geoengineering, singularity, glyphosate and other Monsanto poisons. While I've had a LMOE fantasy as long as I can remember, I've also had a fantasy since the yea ...more
Debbie Zapata
Jul 18, 2016 Debbie Zapata rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: douglas
I jumped right into this book after finishing K-Pax, anxious to find out what happened next at the Manhattan Psychiatric Institute with prot, Robert, and everyone else.

This was both a good and bad decision on my part. Good because I was able to read 'the rest of the story' right away. Bad because sequels are rarely as captivating as first books. The reader has to get reminded of background details; sometimes the story tends to stumble along when you remember it zipping just a few hours ago in th
  • The Cabin in the Woods: The Official Movie Novelization
  • Shaun Of The Dead
  • Japoński wachlarz
  • Bedtime Math: A Fun Excuse to Stay Up Late
  • From Dusk Till Dawn: A Screenplay
  • Child of Fortune
  • Coyote Rising (Coyote Trilogy, #2)
  • The Life of Super-Earths: How the Hunt for Alien Worlds and Artificial Cells Will Revolutionize Life on Our Planet
  • Man-Kzin Wars 11 (Man-Kzin Wars, #11)
  • Meeting Sarah
  • Life Probe
  • The Ordinary
  • The Love of My (Other) Life
  • The Words to Say It
  • The Semplica-Girl Diaries (short story)
  • Le livre du voyage
  • The Next Passage (Alternamorphs, #2)
  • Deadly Relations: Bester Ascendant (Babylon 5: Saga of Psi Corps, #2)
Gene R. Brewer was born and raised in Muncie, Indiana and educated at DePauw University and the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Before becoming a novelist Dr. Brewer studied DNA replication and cell division at several major research institutions, including St. Jude Children's REsearch Hospital (Memphis) and Case Western Reserve University (Cleveland). He is the author of the acclaimed K-PAX tril ...more
More about Gene Brewer...

K-Pax (5 books)
  • K-Pax (K-Pax, #1)
  • K-Pax III: The Worlds of Prot (K-Pax, #3)
  • K-Pax IV: A New Visitor from the Constellation Lyra