Start by marking “Revisiting Relational Youth Ministry: From a Strategy of Influence to a Theology of Incarnation” as Want to Read:

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Relational youth ministry, also known as incarnational ministry, can feel like a vicious cycle of guilt: "I should be spending time with kids, but I just don't want to." The burden becomes heavy to bear because it is never over; adolescents always seem to need more relational bonds, and once one group graduates there is a new group of adolescents who need relational contac ...more
Published October 8th 2007 by IVP Books

To ask other readers questions about Revisiting Relational Youth Ministry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revisiting Relational Youth Ministry

Amy
Jun 27, 2010 Amy added it
Shelves: christianity
Use this book as a conversational tool. It's fabulous for that because it is provocative--some aspects I agreed with and other parts could lead an impressionable ministry leader astray. I read this not a guide for how to do ministry but a way to reflect and wrestle with my justifications for doing ministry in the way that I currently do it.
David
It was definitely an interesting book. I liked the overall thesis, but it did read more like a phd dissertation or academic paper than like a book written for the general public. The first two chapters with the history lesson about the last hundred years was also a bit dry. However, I do think that I learned a lot in the book about the open-closed principle and about how to love people without judging or manipulating them.
Gennie
This book described the background and belief structure of evangelical Christian youth ministry.
It's incredibly well written and academically well researched.
JJ Vancil
This book "revisits" and challenges the status quo of relationship-driven youth ministry by digging into Dietrich Bonhoeffer's theology of relationships as understood in the human-God, Jesus Christ. While this book is deep, rich, insightful & theologically sound, the reader gets lost in a slew of overly complex writing and intellectual mumbo-jumbo. Most of the concepts could be worded in ways that made sense, yet it appeared the author wanted everyone to know just how smart he was.
Zach Seal
Counters the recent evangelical shift toward clear-cut, neatly wrapped biblicism with a complex and devastatingly beautiful insight into Christ's incarnation and suffering. Root tracks modernity's influence on American evangelicalism's version of youth ministry, and calls for a more theologically sound alternative. You couldn't ask for a better intro into the theology of youth ministry.
Rebekah
There are some aspects of this book which I would reject, but overall very useful for youth ministers. There are concepts in the book that can relate to any specialized area of ministry which I greatly appreciated. It is a book that is relevant for youth ministry today.
Gennielc
This book explains the history of evangelism, fundamentalism & adolescence. Anyone who works with young people in the church should read this for the background information.
Jonathan
Love the premise of this book. It's how I've been thinking about youth ministry for a long time now.
Rich
sounds good
Armen Der-Simonyan
Armen Der-Simonyan marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Ryan Ohlson
Ryan Ohlson marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Joy Muller Fayard
Joy Muller Fayard marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Bernard
Bernard marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Kory
Kory marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Rick Grace
Rick Grace is currently reading it
Jan 03, 2015
Rebecca Depoe
Rebecca Depoe marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Godbearing Life: The Art of Soul Tending for Youth Ministry
  • Sustainable Youth Ministry: Why Most Youth Ministry Doesn't Last and What Your Church Can Do about It
  • Contemplative Youth Ministry: Practicing the Presence of Jesus
  • Sticky Faith, Youth Worker Edition: Practical Ideas to Nurture Long-Term Faith in Teenagers
  • Soul Searching: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of American Teenagers
  • Hurt: Inside the World of Today's Teenagers
  • Postmodern Youth Ministry: Exploring Cultural Shift, Creating Holistic Connections, Cultivating Authentic Community
  • Missional Church: A Vision for the Sending of the Church in North America
  • Your First Two Years in Youth Ministry: A Personal and Practical Guide to Starting Right
  • The Think Orange: Imagine the Impact When Church and Family Collide...
  • The Seven Checkpoints for Youth Leaders: Seven Principles Every Teenager Needs to Know
  • Stages of Faith: The Psychology of Human Development and the Quest for Meaning
  • How Your Church Family Works: Understanding Congregations as Emotional Systems
  • Generation to Generation: Family Process in Church and Synagogue
  • Preaching
  • The Primal Teen: What the New Discoveries about the Teenage Brain Tell Us about Our Kids
  • You Lost Me: Why Young Christians Are Leaving Church... and Rethinking Faith
  • Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith
Andrew Root joined Luther Seminary in 2005 as assistant professor of youth and family ministry. Previously he was an adjunct professor at Wesley Theological Seminary, Washington D.C., and Princeton Theological Seminary, Princeton, N.J.

Root received his bachelor of arts degree from Bethel College, St. Paul, Minn., in 1997. He earned his master of divinity (2000) and his master of theology (2001) d
More about Andrew Root...
Taking Theology to Youth Ministry The Theological Turn in Youth Ministry Relationships Unfiltered: Help for Youth Workers, Volunteers, and Parents on Creating Authentic Relationships Bonhoeffer as Youth Worker: A Theological Vision for Discipleship and Life Together Taking the Cross to Youth Ministry

“Ministry, then, is not about "using" relationships to get individuals to accept a "third thing," whether that be conservative politics, moral behaviors or even the gospel message. Rather, ministry is about connection, one to another, about sharing in suffering and joy, about persons meeting persons with no pretense or secret motives. It is about shared life, confessing Christ not outside the relationship but within it. This, I learned, was living the gospel.
I”
1 likes
“Ministry is not about helping these kids be better Christians; it is about helping them be what God created them to be-human. And it is the degradation of their humanity, brought about by broken and abusive families, violent neighborhoods, failing schools and poverty, that caused them to lash out so forcefully. Ministry is about suffering with them in their dehumanization, celebrating their human endeavors and in all things pointing to the true human, Jesus Christ our Lord.
Having”