Start by marking “Revisiting Relational Youth Ministry: From a Strategy of Influence to a Theology of Incarnation” as Want to Read:

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  127 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Relational youth ministry, also known as incarnational ministry, can feel like a vicious cycle of guilt: "I should be spending time with kids, but I just don't want to." The burden becomes heavy to bear because it is never over; adolescents always seem to need more relational bonds, and once one group graduates there is a new group of adolescents who need relational contac ...more
Published October 8th 2007 by IVP Books

To ask other readers questions about Revisiting Relational Youth Ministry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revisiting Relational Youth Ministry

Amy
Jun 27, 2010 Amy added it
Shelves: christianity
Use this book as a conversational tool. It's fabulous for that because it is provocative--some aspects I agreed with and other parts could lead an impressionable ministry leader astray. I read this not a guide for how to do ministry but a way to reflect and wrestle with my justifications for doing ministry in the way that I currently do it.
David
May 16, 2015 David rated it really liked it
It was definitely an interesting book. I liked the overall thesis, but it did read more like a phd dissertation or academic paper than like a book written for the general public. The first two chapters with the history lesson about the last hundred years was also a bit dry. However, I do think that I learned a lot in the book about the open-closed principle and about how to love people without judging or manipulating them.
Gennie
Nov 20, 2014 Gennie rated it it was amazing
This book described the background and belief structure of evangelical Christian youth ministry.
It's incredibly well written and academically well researched.
JJ Vancil
This book "revisits" and challenges the status quo of relationship-driven youth ministry by digging into Dietrich Bonhoeffer's theology of relationships as understood in the human-God, Jesus Christ. While this book is deep, rich, insightful & theologically sound, the reader gets lost in a slew of overly complex writing and intellectual mumbo-jumbo. Most of the concepts could be worded in ways that made sense, yet it appeared the author wanted everyone to know just how smart he was.
Zach Seal
Mar 09, 2012 Zach Seal rated it it was amazing
Counters the recent evangelical shift toward clear-cut, neatly wrapped biblicism with a complex and devastatingly beautiful insight into Christ's incarnation and suffering. Root tracks modernity's influence on American evangelicalism's version of youth ministry, and calls for a more theologically sound alternative. You couldn't ask for a better intro into the theology of youth ministry.
Rebekah
Jun 11, 2012 Rebekah rated it it was amazing
There are some aspects of this book which I would reject, but overall very useful for youth ministers. There are concepts in the book that can relate to any specialized area of ministry which I greatly appreciated. It is a book that is relevant for youth ministry today.
Gennielc
This book explains the history of evangelism, fundamentalism & adolescence. Anyone who works with young people in the church should read this for the background information.
Jonathan
Mar 28, 2009 Jonathan rated it liked it
Shelves:
Love the premise of this book. It's how I've been thinking about youth ministry for a long time now.
Rich
Oct 21, 2007 Rich rated it really liked it
Shelves:
sounds good
Derek McCarver
Derek McCarver is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2016
Danielle Rossell
Danielle Rossell marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Carol Wunderlich
Carol Wunderlich rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2016
Colin Fast
Colin Fast marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Dustin
Dustin marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Jordan Humm
Jordan Humm rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
Rhett
Rhett rated it liked it
Brian Hull
Brian Hull marked it as to-read
Nate Clark
Nate Clark marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Micah Hurst
Micah Hurst rated it liked it
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Chanda Stover mcniel
Chanda Stover mcniel marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Naomi Hartman
Naomi Hartman marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Dale Friesen
Dale Friesen rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
  • The Godbearing Life: The Art of Soul Tending for Youth Ministry
  • Sustainable Youth Ministry: Why Most Youth Ministry Doesn't Last and What Your Church Can Do about It
  • Youth Ministry 3.0: A Manifesto of Where We’ve Been, Where We Are and Where We Need to Go
  • Sticky Faith, Youth Worker Edition: Practical Ideas to Nurture Long-Term Faith in Teenagers
  • Contemplative Youth Ministry: Practicing the Presence of Jesus
  • Hurt: Inside the World of Today's Teenagers
  • Soul Searching: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of American Teenagers
  • Missional Church: A Vision for the Sending of the Church in North America
  • Postmodern Youth Ministry: Exploring Cultural Shift, Creating Holistic Connections, Cultivating Authentic Community
  • Purpose-Driven® Youth Ministry
  • Stages of Faith: The Psychology of Human Development and the Quest for Meaning
  • Generation to Generation: Family Process in Church and Synagogue
  • The Think Orange: Imagine the Impact When Church and Family Collide...
  • The Seven Checkpoints for Youth Leaders: Seven Principles Every Teenager Needs to Know
  • How Your Church Family Works: Understanding Congregations as Emotional Systems
  • iGods: How Technology Shapes Our Spiritual and Social Lives
  • Preaching
  • Guide to Prayer: For Ministers & Other Servants
Andrew Root joined Luther Seminary in 2005 as assistant professor of youth and family ministry. Previously he was an adjunct professor at Wesley Theological Seminary, Washington D.C., and Princeton Theological Seminary, Princeton, N.J.

Root received his bachelor of arts degree from Bethel College, St. Paul, Minn., in 1997. He earned his master of divinity (2000) and his master of theology (2001) d
More about Andrew Root...

“Ministry, then, is not about "using" relationships to get individuals to accept a "third thing," whether that be conservative politics, moral behaviors or even the gospel message. Rather, ministry is about connection, one to another, about sharing in suffering and joy, about persons meeting persons with no pretense or secret motives. It is about shared life, confessing Christ not outside the relationship but within it. This, I learned, was living the gospel.
I”
3 likes
“Ministry is not about helping these kids be better Christians; it is about helping them be what God created them to be-human. And it is the degradation of their humanity, brought about by broken and abusive families, violent neighborhoods, failing schools and poverty, that caused them to lash out so forcefully. Ministry is about suffering with them in their dehumanization, celebrating their human endeavors and in all things pointing to the true human, Jesus Christ our Lord.
Having”