Zondervan Handbook to the Bible

Zondervan Handbook to the Bible

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Now in a flexiback softcover.With over three million copies sold, this handbook has earned an outstanding reputation as the most helpful and accessible guide to the Bible and has been called 'the best book to have next to the Bible.' Readers will discover fascinating, thorough, and enriching insights into the Bible with the best-selling and internationally acclaimed Zonder...more
Paperback, Complete Revised and Updated Edition, 816 pages
Published 2002 by Zondervan (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Zondervan Handbook to the Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zondervan Handbook to the Bible

Tung
A lot of people like USA Today because it has more color than most mainstream newspapers, and colorful graphs and charts to simplify information for the average people (read: people who don’t read real newspapers). This Zondervan book is the USA Today version of real Bible handbooks – that statement is every bit the backhanded compliment it sounds like. This book walks the reader through every book of Scripture, with quick, easy-to-digest summaries of the author, audience, and intended purpose....more
Rachel Fontenot
AMAZING book! Gives so much insight and understanding to the whole Bible and his inception and history. Good for all peoples... no matter what you believe!
Silvia
Very useful for understanding the Bible better. It has lots of beautiful pictures and historical context background explanations, and it's very nice that so many different authors contributed their insights and opinions. But especially useful are the chapter-by-chapter notes and explanations of difficult verses. It also helps to keep the big picture and the central themes of the Bible in mind by referring to similar (or seemingly opposite) verses throughout the Bible, and trying to explain the m...more
Nou Sreyoun
Its title is interesting, I want to read it than I can provide my own opinion to this book leter
Sharon
This is an excellent guide to the Bible. You can read a passage in the Bible and then look in this guide to see what it has to say about it. You will learn how it applied in the culture in which it was written. You can learn about the history of the time, the plants and animals of the area, etc. It also explains the meaning and how to apply that meaning into your own life. This book has helped me understand the Bible better.
Rosa
Mar 07, 2012 Rosa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: For quiet times and bible studies.
I just looked this up on Amazon.com. I did not know that this book is a really good reference tool to use during your quiet times and bible studies. I like how this book is designed and is very user friendly. I like the photos in this book. This book is excellent to have in companion to your Protestant Bible.
Dave Jones
Received this as a Christmas book from Sue. It's a sort of on-again, off-again devotional of sorts. Actually, it is a survey of the Bible that also includes study helps, history, and essays. Richly illustrated with color photos and illustrations.

Good reference material.
Jamie
I liked this guidebook very much. It's layout and design is well suited for a quick reference and study guide. Also, it treats the Bible in a nondenominational way, and looks at it as literature, instead of religious text, which is much appreciated.
Mike Fox
If someone at church asks, "Is there a book that will help me read the Bible," get them this. If you have theological training, however, this won't be much more than a source of good and helpful pics.
Atchisson
Colorful and rich in scope, but it doesn't offer as many answers to the weightier issues as "Bible Ansers" by Towns does. It is full of pictures and maps and such, but it still feels lacking.
John Wick
Feb 22, 2007 John Wick rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in religion
This book made the bible just a little more approachable. I found it treated the bible more as a history anthropology lesson but it was interesing nonetheless.
John
Aug 13, 2011 John added it
If your not an archeologist, historian, theologian, etc... this is an excellent book (companion) to have along side your Bible during your studying.
Maggie
Apr 03, 2009 Maggie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Bought this book some time back. But haven't got to reading it.
Jeanne
A great encyclopedic manual to the Bible. Excellent.
Grant Davis
I consider this book at the "heart" of my study material
Jeff Noble
Eerdmans' Handbook to the Bible by David Alexander (?)
Weiyi Zhang
An amazing intro even for a non-believer!
Blair Allen
Feb 27, 2008 Blair Allen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christians.
Recommended to Blair by: my sweet husband.
Shelves: personally-owned
Really great for studying the Bible!!!
Conor Searl
Conor Searl is currently reading it
Sep 19, 2014
Tony
Tony marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Rick Hernandez
Rick Hernandez marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Benita Lewis-smith
Benita Lewis-smith marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Jennifer Medina
Jennifer Medina marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Star Trek Creator: The Authorized Biography of Gene Roddenberry The Fifth Gospel Nature's Flyers: Birds, Insects, and the Biomechanics of Flight Why Don't Jumbo Jets Flap Their Wings?: Flying Animals, Flying Machines, and How They Are Different Dark Messiah (Phoenix, #1)