Start by marking “The Sneaky Chef: How to Cheat on Your Man (In the Kitchen!): Hiding Healthy Foods in Hearty Meals Any Guy Will Love” as Want to Read:

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The Sneaky Chef now targets the other picky eater in the family! For parents of finicky eaters, The Sneaky Chef was the answer to their prayers, giving them solutions for hiding healthy food in the meals kids crave. Within a month of publication, it was a New York Times bestseller. But author Missy Chase Lapine knew another secret: the kids aren’t the only ones in the fami ...more
Published March 25th 2008 by Running Press (first published March 24th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Sneaky Chef, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sneaky Chef

Sep 12, 2010 Becky rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with lots of time who want to sneak in veggies

I think I may have read this book before and not realized it. Author spends 100 pages talking about: how to be sneaky but not too devious with getting fruits and veggies into your husbands diet, why we have an epidemic of over cholesterolized dieing at fifty men now a days, and how to get your best intentions across.

"Okay. Now you're ready to take a whole new approach to cooking for yourself and the man in your life by adding nature's super foods to all his favorite recipes."
This "whole new app
Any chance I can get to increase the health value of the food I cook I will take. However, I hate the premise of this book, that all husbands are thick-skulled fast food eaters who you have to trick into eating healthfully. We don't give men the credit they deserve in society today, a soap box of mine for another time and place.

That being said, I tried a few of the recipes and was generally pleased. Some of it was a bit too much work for me, I'd rather just get my hubby and my kids to eat a sid
Love the idea of filling your food with more vitamins and minerals. We freeze the 1/4 cup puree in muffin tins. Once frozen we transfer them to Ziploc bags. My husband has taken to calling these frozen 1/4 cups, 'hockey pucks'. The name has stuck. It is a family tradition to try and guess the ingredients in smoothies and meals. (My kids are fairly adventureous eaters, Thai, Indian, Mexican, Chinese, etc.--only cheese seems to trip us up). Now the kids guess 'orange hockey puck' or 'white hockey ...more
What's the word for the opposite of misogynistic? That's what this book is. Apparently, Ms. Lapine has only had contact with simple-minded cavemen. Having said that, I enjoyed and even purchased her first Sneaky Chef book. I've incorporated some of her tips into my daily cooking. I don't particularly care for the subterfuge; I am always forthcoming with the added vitamins and veggies I've added to my dishes. This book was a disappointing follow-up to the first one. It added nothing new.
I really don't care for the title--thus the 3 stars. I do like the book's ideas of hiding healthy stuff in food we eat all the time. Some of the intro material could have been describing my husband, as he's very anti-veggies. I am looking forward to trying several of the recipes. I remember when her book for kids came out, and I was very interested in the idea of the different colored purees for different foods. We'll see if it works!
Oct 30, 2008 Tina rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sneaky mom's & wives, cookbook lovers
Recommended to Tina by: Amazon
Shelves: foodie
I found this while researching info on 'Deceptively Delicious' after I heard there was another wonderful book on sneaking veggies into prepared food. This one is actually better than the Seinfeld cookbook because it's geared toward finicky husbands. My guy loves veggies, so not a problem but it is fun to see healthier substitutes used in cooking. You gotta love that. it's a keeper.
While I have only tried two of the Sneaky Chef's recipes so far (and I believe those two came from the Kid version of the book), I am so motivated and intrigued. Some of the recipes look so good and the ones I've tried from Lapine's other book were great. I originally got this from the library but I can't wait to buy my own copy!!
Jennifer Dunham
These "sneaky" series book are great for me since my hubby hate vegetables. It's funny how he loves the taco recipe or the chili or the name it out of this book but he doesn't realize it's loaded with pureed veggies! :-)
The brownies (with spinach, blueberries, wheat germ, and dark chocolate chips) were incredible. The only recipe that hasn't been fabulous so far was the cole slaw recipe--but maybe I didn't make it quite right. Great book!
As if the first one wasn't good enough, this one shows you how to add it to all the dishes you love (or your husband) loves to eat. Now I can make things I always make, but make them a little healthier.
Mar 07, 2009 Lisa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
I think this just MIGHT work, although I'm not very sneaky since the book is on the kitchen counter. The concepts are still floating around in the back of my head, but I have not tried any of the recipes.
Kewannah "Health Kick Chick"
I just can't finish this book. It's got great ideas but honestly, I'd rather have fruit/veg on the side than have to make a million purees.

Maybe if I have a picky eater, I'd reconsider.
Leslie Jem
Although there is a HUGE philosophy of nuitrition section in the front, this book is worth reading. It contains all kinds of simple strategies for making healthier choices.
Had the chance to make several recipes already -- including the brownies and mashed potatoes. Both were very good, even the kids ate everything! A lot of great ideas...
Love these cookbooks! I made the french onion soup today and it is amazing! Can't believe this food is so good AND good for you. Will own this soon.
Apr 16, 2008 Ashley marked it as to-read
Follow up to The Sneaky Chef - Simple Stragegies for Hiding Healthy Food in Kids Meals. Can't wait to read it! Can't wait to try it out! Love the other book!
Great ideas to have a healthier life style and still be able to eat foods you enjoy...changes the way you think about foods...
Overall I like the good ideas of cooking healthier and how to 'sneak' those ingredients in.
May 28, 2008 Melissa added it
Shelves: cookbooks
My son is almost a man, so I'm planning to read this to trick him AND my future husband.
definitely some good ideas here.
Amy Sjoquist
Would love to try some of these out.
Jan 27, 2009 Val marked it as to-read
Is this stupid?
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Bastien Kirsch
Bastien Kirsch marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Cook This, Not That!: Kitchen Survival Guide
  • Not Your Mother's Make-Ahead and Freeze Cookbook
  • Betty Crocker's New Cookbook
  • Double Delicious!
  • The Paris Review Book for Planes, Trains, Elevators, and Waiting Rooms
  • Cleaning Plain & Simple: A ready reference guide with hundreds of sparkling solutions to your everyday cleaning challenges
  • The Lost Art of Real Cooking: Rediscovering the Pleasures of Traditional Food One Recipe at a Time
  • Mistakes That Worked
  • Country Living The Farm Chicks in the Kitchen: Live Well, Laugh Often, Cook Much
  • Little Tim and the Brave Sea Captain
  • The Art of Imperfection: Simple Ways to Make Peace with Yourself
  • The $5 Dinner Mom Cookbook: 200 Recipes for Quick, Delicious, and Nourishing Meals That Are Easy on the Budget and a Snap to Prepare
  • First Meals: The Complete Cookbook and Nutrition Guide
  • Mrs. Armitage: Queen of the Road
  • Mariel Hemingway's Healthy Living from the Inside Out: Every Woman's Guide to Real Beauty, Renewed Energy, and a Radiant Life
  • The Abruzzo Trilogy: Fontamara, Bread and Wine, The Seed Beneath the Snow