Start by marking “By Chance (Anderson Stables, #1)” as Want to Read:
By Chance (Anderson Stables, #1)

By Chance (Anderson Stables #1)

Vincent Anderson has everything he thinks he wants: a job he loves, a girlfriend he feels comfortable with, and a horse that never lets him down. He successfully trains off-track Thoroughbreds at his dad’s stable, teaching them to do things other than race. When he’s not working at the stable, he trains with Xander, a rescued former racehorse turned talented show ...more
Published March 5th 2014 by Dreamspinner Press (first published March 4th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about By Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Chance

Ami
First, a little information – I browsed the author’s website (Anderson Stables) prior to reading this novella and read the "About the Series" information she provided there. Because of that I approached it with knowledge that this novella was only book #1 of a series in the world of the stables. Without trying to spoil much, I can definitely see the end goal and if Ms. Riley continues it, it could be a pretty complex, thorough, and well dare I say, epic storyline.

Based on this, I thought it was
Sandra
A book about horses and the men who ride and train them? A book about Thoroughbreds being retrained after leaving the race tracks, something near and dear to me, considering I've done that myself?

Hells, yeah, sign me up!!

And then I realized, about halfway in, that this is the first book in a series, and that the next book isn't written yet. Sucky for me. Sucky for any reader who doesn't know this upfront.

I quite liked this book, but the pace dragged a bit, even though it was to be expected in
Heller
Jul 19, 2016 Heller rated it really liked it
3.75

I found this such an interesting book. I'm not a horse person but the content was so fascinating: horse rescue, rehabilitation and the sport of jumping.

The romance is slow moving to point of it being incidental to the plot but it worked for me because I loved the characters and how they got to know each other. So consider this slow, slow burn. I suspect the next book will move the romance along but I'm more curious about the horse plot, tbh. I want to know what happens next at the Anderson S
Wency
Mar 05, 2014 Wency rated it really liked it
Reviewed for Sidlove.com

There’s nowhere Vince Anderson felt so sure of himself and comfortable with than with his horse, Xander. Along with a really nice girlfriend, loving family and a job he loves, what more does he want and need? But when he offered Dustin a shelter to their barn did he realized what he truly wants. Soon revelations changed his life. Now all he have to do is make a move and what he wants would be his.

Light and short read. I find the book really enjoyable. After finishing it,
GayListBookReviews
Dec 04, 2014 GayListBookReviews rated it liked it
By Chance is a sweet love story, it's a little short and the story is slow to start, but it is only book one. Nevertheless I enjoyed this tale; the characters are good and likeable. A somewhat interesting plot, if you're a lover of horses you'll enjoy this story all the more.

For me Vince comes across as being a little selfish, and doesn't appear to take note of those close to him. He prefers to keep his feelings and fears to himself, in spite of his girlfriend knowing the man more than he does.
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Wendy
Genre: M/M Contemporary
3 Hearts

See Review Here: Hearts On Fire Reviews
Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hearts...

Review: Even though the publisher’s website doesn’t mention anything about this being the first book of a series, the author’s website seems to indicate that’s the plan (although no details about the next book). I’ll keep my fingers crossed on this point because without the hope of more to follow, I think this book will definitely leave a portion of the r
Wendy Ann
Reviewed for Hearts On Fire Reviews - 3 hearts

Even though the publisher’s website doesn’t mention anything about this being the first book of a series, the author’s website seems to indicate that’s the plan (although no details about the next book). I’ll keep my fingers crossed on this point because without the hope of more to follow, I think this book will definitely leave a portion of the reading audience very disappointed and that would be a shame because it is a good story.

Vince seems to ha
Cathy Brockman
May 18, 2014 Cathy Brockman rated it liked it
Shelves: cowboys
Vince is a trainer and barn manager at his father’s retraining and rehabilitating stable. He feels like he has it all a dream job, a great family and a nice girlfriend. But why does he feel so empty. Dustin is desperate for work and keeps begging Mark but keeps being turned away. He has always wanted to work with horses, but his parents never even let him do the pony rides in fairs. He has been living in the woods and logs to belong somewhere.

This was a very interesting story at first and kept
Duck
Mar 14, 2014 Duck rated it liked it
***2.5
I think this has potential but I feel like the MC Vince needs a little more backbone if the author intends to carry the story through from his POV. I didn't get a solid grasp on his character or who he is because he seems to just sit back and let things happen to him. I don't find that very interesting or attractive unless there are other povs to supplement the story. I guess we will have to wait and see where the next book takes us.

One petty complaint I had, why name a character Dustin an
jules0623
Mar 08, 2014 jules0623 rated it liked it
2.5 stars. After reading some of the other reviews, I see this looks like it might be the first in a series. I do hope so because this book by itself left me a bit unsatisfied with quite a few unresolved plot threads, a very abrupt ending, and underdeveloped characters.

Having said that, the writing wasn't bad and the plot itself was interesting enough that I'd like to read the next book.
Shirley (Secret Squirrel)
This book was very hard to get into. I could not connect with the characters at all. The author could not convey the emotions of the characters and pushed to hard to build relationships that were not there. I don't know if this is the authors first book, but it reads like it is.
Kayla Burgess
Nice

It was nice.
Could have had a bit more... action between the guys.
*wink
But I liked it.
It was nice.
Page Crusherz
Mar 19, 2014 Page Crusherz rated it liked it
I enjoyed it, but I wasn't sure who the MCs really were...I liked it enough to keep going in the series
Kade Boehme
Kade Boehme rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2014
Pooja
Pooja rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2014
Jennifer Drago
Jennifer Drago rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2014
Masoud
Masoud rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2014
Aino
Aino rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2015
la'
la' rated it liked it
May 29, 2015
Priscila Rocha
Priscila Rocha rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2014
Dionne
Dionne rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2014
Mandy Ryder
Mandy Ryder rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Poxie
Poxie rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2014
Danny
Danny rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2015
glorybox6
glorybox6 rated it it was ok
May 11, 2014
Ashley Cox
Ashley Cox rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2014
Jess
Jess rated it liked it
May 24, 2014
Dreamspinner Press: By Chance by Sasha Kay Riley 1 7 Mar 05, 2014 08:58PM

Anderson Stables (3 books)
  • By Blood (Anderson Stables #2)
  • By Fault (Anderson Stables, #3)