Start by marking “I Swear I Was There” as Want to Read:
I Swear I Was There

I Swear I Was There

David Nolan's 'I Swear I Was There' describes the early days of the Sex Pistols, their first gig at the Manchester Free Trade Hall in 1976 and the long-term effects of that first concert.
Published June 1st 2006 by Independent Music Press (first published May 29th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about I Swear I Was There, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Swear I Was There

Kay Smillie
Dec 14, 2016 Kay Smillie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't there but neither were most of those who have claimed to have been in attendance. This is a fascinating look back at punk history in 1976, with the initial focus being the Sex Pistols first gig in Manchester. It is also about the influence on young lads at that gig who went on to form their own bands. The likes of the Buzzcocks, Slaughter and the Dogs, the Fall, the Drones and Joy Division would further influence other Mancunians and those from outwith Manchester to form bands. None of ...more
Rob
Dec 02, 2016 Rob rated it liked it
It is probable that more books have been written and more films released on Tony Wilson, Joy Division and Hacienda than about the whole of World War II so it was with a slightly heavy heart that I borrowed this in the wake of the Sounding Bored podcast's episode about the Manchester music scene. The premise is that the Sex Pistols' first Lesser Free Trade Hall gig in June 1976 kicked off the extraordinary run of musical brilliance the city came up with over the following 15 years (yes, not incl ...more
Kevin
Jan 26, 2009 Kevin rated it liked it
I like these kind of books. There is plenty about the Sex Pistols in other books but this one focuses on the Gig That Changed The World. I did like how the only Pistol they secured an interview for was Matlock, I enjoyed hearing how the audience, who was the star of the book, reacted. Short and sweet and to the point.
Adam
Dec 17, 2013 Adam rated it liked it
Shelves: music, bright-sparks
An interesting subject addressed in a slightly lazy way - would be improved by lopping about 20% off. Still, entertaining if you're into this kind of stuff.
Gregarious cline
Jan 22, 2014 Gregarious cline rated it really liked it
I love this format of interview segments edited together to tell a narrative. My boner for Shelley and DeVoto has grown. Great to have their significance acknowledged.
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2016
Matthew Hawthorne
Matthew Hawthorne rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2015
Troy
Troy rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2017
Tony
Tony rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2008
Vaughan Walton
Vaughan Walton rated it it was ok
May 06, 2011
John Blake Publishing
John Blake Publishing rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2016
Tom George
Tom George rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2016
Karl Mullen
Karl Mullen rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2016
Steve Rogerson
Steve Rogerson rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2014
Susan Chlopicki
Susan Chlopicki rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2012
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2016
Karim Peter
Karim Peter rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2015
darryl burgess
darryl burgess rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2016
Arnold Plotnick
Arnold Plotnick rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2017
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2014
Raibeart Ros
Raibeart Ros rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2016
David Cross
David Cross rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Abigail Keedwell
Abigail Keedwell rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2017
Stipey Sullivan
Stipey Sullivan rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2009
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2008
Phil Schafer
May 06, 2016 Phil Schafer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read on the personal reflection of over discussed concerts.
Steve Klusmeier
Steve Klusmeier rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2013
Jeff Garfinkel
Jeff Garfinkel rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2016
Christopher Gilmour
Christopher Gilmour rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2013
Russ
Russ rated it it was ok
Jan 27, 2017
David Nolan is an award-winning journalist who's authored biographies on subjects ranging from Simon Cowell to the Sex Pistols. He's also written for newspapers, magazines, radio and television.
More about David Nolan...