Start by marking “Brainwashed (Crime Travelers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Brainwashed (Crime Travelers, #1)

Brainwashed (Crime Travelers #1)

While sleeping on the roof of his father’s hotel, thirteen-year-old Lucas Benes finds a baby alone and learns that the Good Company has restarted its profitable kidnapping business.

Brainwashed (Crime Travelers #1) tracks the secret urban adventures of the New Resistance, a network of international teenage spies. Headquartered in Las Vegas’s posh Globe Hotel, the New Resist
Paperback, First Edition, 308 pages
Published January 14th 2014 by Flying Solo Press (first published January 1st 2014)

Paul Aertker
Feb 25, 2016 Paul Aertker rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: 10 to 14 year olds who like international spy thrillers
Recommended to Paul by: Me.
This is the best book about kids and spies that I've ever written. Obviously, I gave it five stars--not just because I wrote it, but because I loved the adventure in it.

My mission is to bring the world to the middle grades. I write stories that I would have wanted to read when I was ten, eleven, twelve-- realistic and exciting international espionage novels steeped in mystery, intrigue, and deception.

I want children to see that the impossible may in fact be possible, and that children may have
Tami
May 06, 2014 Tami rated it really liked it
Haven't received my copy yet, just received notice I had won. 4/15/14
Received my copy and hope to start soon. Have 5 others plus my current read in front. 4/18/14
Started 5/4/14
Finished 5/5/14

Lucas is sleeping on the roof of the hotel when he hears a baby cry. He rappel's down to the parking lot and learns that the Good Company has started kidnapping again. Lucas, along with his sister Astrid and other New Resistance kids follow the mission to Paris, where Lucas finds out some information about h
Christoph Fischer
Feb 07, 2014 Christoph Fischer rated it it was amazing
"Brainwashed (Crime Travelers)" by Paul Aertker is a great adventure story for younger readers.

Lucas Benes, the 13 year old hero of this story, fights against The Good Company, which is far from good but actually a kidnapping and trafficking business that threatens particularly children with its brainwashing.

Lucas was adopted as a younger child himself and has his personal reasons to take on the fight. He and his international friends have their hands full to stop Siba Gunerro and her scheme.
Roan Reedling
Sep 26, 2014 Roan Reedling rated it really liked it
I found the concept of the Crime Travelers and the New Resistance very engaging - engaging to me, likely to be very engaging for kids, and hopefully allusive for adults (if they're reading the book as adults): kids helping the few adults that recognize what's really going on, combat the horrible threat, misuse, and suffering - the evil - confronting kids all over the world.

The kids of the New Resistance can't help but answer that silent yet earsplitting plea from their fellow, hurting, kids. Ma
Stacey
Nov 07, 2015 Stacey rated it did not like it
We (a Mama and an 8 year old boy) really wanted to like this book, the pretense was awesome: Kid Spies Saving Kids. But after a very exciting and clean beginning it started to unravel 100 pages in. Without giving away the story I will say that the girl characters were left to stereotypes of either being bitchy or more into fashion than spying. But the saddest part was how the editing seemed to stop at the 34 chapter, we kept having to reread paragraphs to try to figure out what was going on. In ...more
Grace
May 13, 2015 Grace rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. It had a great theme, and good characters. Unfortunately, once I started reading the book, I was really frustrated and confused. I didn't get what what happening and why certain things were happening, I also didn't understand certain words and certain things in the story, I had to ask my mom or look certain things up on the internet. I also didn't generally like the story, I wanted to like the story, but I just didn't. Sorry Paul Aertker, this book just wasn't ...more
Martha Sockel
Aug 10, 2014 Martha Sockel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, crime, adventure, ya
I bought this for my 13 year old nephew and he loved it.

We read large chunks together, and the story is a rip-roaring adventure through Paris and includes as much humor as it does action.

The central character, Lucas, is being trained to take down a child trafficking organization and my nephew now wants to be a spy, such was his his enthusiasm for this book.

Definitely one to get the younger imaginations going.
Alana
Apr 13, 2014 Alana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, 2014
really enjoyable. great action. loved gini's poop fountain incident. think it's a bit over the middle school grade level only because few kid's that age know much about geography or paris. definately think those who love spy action adventure stories will love this series. can't wait to see the next adventure.

(Recieved free through Goodreads First Reads)
Tom Donaghey
Jan 30, 2015 Tom Donaghey rated it it was amazing
My first review from months ago has disappeared, so I will only say that this is a fun book, designed to get the young teen reader involved in it's off-beat but intriguing look at the group of teens pitched against an enemy intelligence force. Also it is a nice intro to Paris and Vegas.
Grayson Phillips
Mar 02, 2014 Grayson Phillips rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book, comparable to the likes of Alex Rider and The Hunger Games. The author fully enthrals the reader with a well-written book, satisfying to any spy-novel fan. I would recommend it for ages 10-14.
Anna Othitis
Aug 09, 2014 Anna Othitis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, ya, suspense, spies
A Great Adventure.
I bought this book for a friends pre-teen son as a gift which he thoroughly enjoyed. The suspense mystery and adventure of this novel kept his interest and attention at all times. Crime Travelers is a book I highly recommend very enthusiastic and fun, well done Mr. Aertker.
Mclaurin32
Jan 25, 2015 Mclaurin32 rated it really liked it
Action packed and constantly moving. I look forward to more adventures of Lucas Benes. Great job, Paul
Milica Cudina
May 28, 2015 Milica Cudina rated it really liked it
So, I am a bit at a crossroads here ... I wish the rating system were more nuanced so that I could assign just shy of four stars ... Why?

Well, in the end, the book felt a tad "clunky" -- not necessarily in the writing, but in the development of the characters. There were a few to many "named" characters, some appearing just briefly in the beginning and then in the very end. The principal characters were, however, developed enough -- this is a "middle-school" book after all.

The story takes place
Robby Burke
Apr 22, 2016 Robby Burke rated it really liked it
Middle School Realistic Adventure Book

Brainwashed (Criminal Traveler #1) by Paul Aertker

Targeted Audience: Grades 4-7

Summary/Plot: A series written by Paul Aertker, where the main character, Lucas Benes is introduced to the reader, in a sleeping bag on the rooftop of his father’s hotel. While on the rooftop, Lucas discovers many things. From an abandoned baby, to an organization (The Good Company) that has restarted it’s origins in the kidnapping business. The story carries out with secret adven
Elias Zapple
Aug 10, 2014 Elias Zapple rated it it was amazing
High-octane, adrenalin-pumping, action-packed thriller and it's a book for children! My slugs and I felt breathless when reading this book and needed to drink quite a few Noggin' Rockers. Most kids books are rather pedestrian when compared with this, or perhaps I should slugestrian... no, that doesn't work. This is a thrill a minute as we get taken around Paris, get to learn about Paris, see the attractions of Paris and make us want to avoid Paris - not really - as they battle the Good Company. ...more
Kathy
May 16, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it
I gave it 4 stars instead of 3 because this is a book for younger readers, and I do not qualify. I often like books for middle grade readers, but this one was not one of them.
Sylvia Davis
Sylvia Davis rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2015
P.J. Fiala
P.J. Fiala rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2014
Mia Redgrave
Mia Redgrave rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2014
Maggie
Maggie rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Caroline Anastasia Mccaskill
Caroline Anastasia Mccaskill rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2014
Benjamin Smith
Benjamin Smith rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2014
Jami Brumfield
Jami Brumfield rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2014
Gabriella
Gabriella rated it did not like it
Jul 24, 2015
Catherine Musgrove
Catherine Musgrove rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2014
Norm Clark
Norm Clark rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2014
Lilian Roberts
Lilian Roberts rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2014
Scott and Callum
Scott and Callum rated it it was ok
May 19, 2015
Lace
Lace rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Double Vision (Double Vision #1)
  • The Accidental Keyhand (The Ninja Librarians #1)
  • Arms of Anu (Arrow of the Mist, #2)
  • Culloo
  • The Ability (The Ability, #1)
  • Curiosity
  • Dreamwood
  • The Castle Behind Thorns
  • Tinted Lenses
  • Switch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu
  • My First Travel Book
  • The Luck Uglies (The Luck Uglies, #1)
  • The Only Thing Worse Than Witches
  • Orchid (Tales of the Black Sabbath, #1)
  • Cutting Right to the Chase Vol.2, (Chase Williams detective short stories 2)
  • The Eighth Day (Eighth Day, #1)
  • Arielle Immortal Passion (Immortal Rapture, #3)
  • The Dragon and Princess Madeline
Paul Aertker (pronounced: ETT Kerr) grew up in Louisiana, where the colorful and exotic Cajun culture became his passport to the rest of the world.

As a traveler and multilingual teacher, Aertker has clocked nearly half his life outside the US. When he was teenager he slept on the streets of London to watch the royal wedding of Prince Charles and Princess Diana. He took the CIA exam in college beca
More about Paul Aertker...

Crime Travelers (2 books)
  • Diamonds Are For Never (Crime Travelers #2)

“No matter how bad your past is, you still don’t want it erased.” 18 likes
“In climbing, there was always a fraction of a second between the security of being locked in and the freedom of an actual rappel.” 14 likes