Start by marking “The Weight of Feathers” as Want to Read:
The Weight of Feathers

The Weight of Feathers

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  2,295 Ratings  ·  592 Reviews
For twenty years, the Palomas and the Corbeaus have been rivals and enemies, locked in an escalating feud for over a generation. Both families make their living as traveling performers in competing shows—the Palomas swimming in mermaid exhibitions, the Corbeaus, former tightrope walkers, performing in the tallest trees they can find.

Lace Paloma may be new to her family’s
Published September 15th 2015 by Thomas Dunne

To ask other readers questions about The Weight of Feathers, please sign up.

Asteropê Says on here: Expected publication: September 15th 2015

Cait (Paper Fury)
This book is so insufferably beautiful I don't even know what to do with myself?!? Laugh? Cry? Hug it? Stand upon a rooftop and shout about my affections? Duct tape the cover to my face so I can always be with it????? Honestly I'm so picky about books these days but this JUST STOLE MY HEART AND TICKED ALL THE RIGH BOXES AND I HAVE SO MANY EMOTIONS I'M EXHAUSTED.

It's already going on my "best of the year shelf" and I'm buying everything by this author ever.

WHAT ARE MY EMOTIONS DOING I DON'T EVEN
karen
He held a wet palm to her cheek. "I don't want you getting hurt."

"Everybody gets hurt," she said. "You know that."

this isn't the most "me" of all books, but i can definitely see its appeal for people who enjoyed books like Beautiful Creatures or The Night Circus or other stories featuring star-crossed lovers from feuding families with a fantasy/magical slant.

i snagged this one from netgalley because i liked the cover, i'd been hearing good things about it, and i've had good luck with circussy b
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I have a feeling I'm gonna get trolled for giving this one two stars.

I'm going to admit I am not cool enough for this book.

Shut up little Emo boy. I'm the cool mom. I bribe my kids to say so.

So you have Palomas and the Corbeaus families. They are both traveling performing families. They hate each other. I mean loathe each other.
The Paloma's act is the women are the mermaids in the show and they best do their jobs or Abuela will get them. You just don't cross that woman.

The Corbeaus used to
Aimee
5 Words to Describe The Weight of Feathers

1.) Engaging (adj.): very attractive or pleasing in a way that holds your attention.

"One does not wed hens with foxes."

You all know how much I hate flowery prose, but Anna-Marie McLemore made me fall in love with it. This book just had the perfect blend of easy-to-read and elegant writing. I mean, you could tell that the author writes some kick-ass prose that's still totally comprehensible and engaging.

It was really hard for me to put the book down--I re
Darth J
Sep 22, 2015 Darth J marked it as could-not-finish
DNF @ page 100

The Weight of Distracting Purple Prose

This book is nothing like The Night Circus!!! Stahp comparing it.

So we have 2 warring family of traveling performers. One swims in fake fish tails and pretends to be mermaids, while the other wears wings and does some tightrope act. Here's the twist: the "mermaid" family actually has some scales on their skin and the other family has feathers growing out of theirs.

There's supposedly some dark magic here but what it really just seems like is
Elyse
Aug 20, 2015 Elyse rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
WOW... A Fantastical Tale!!!!! Just yesterday, I was high as a kite reading "Haroun and the Sea of Stories", by Salman Rushdie...(a Children's magical fairy tale), and
today, I'm swooning over "The Weight of Feathers, ( debut by Anna-Marie LeLemore).
This novel has a tribal feeling such as in "The Round House", by Louise Erdrich, to me with
and inventive cast of characters and scenes. It has a Romeo and Juliet feeling to it also by the
fact that two teens fall in love - but their families hate ea
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Review first posted on www.fantasyliterature.com:

The Romeo and Juliet story is updated with a few twists in Anna-Marie McLemore’s debut young adult fantasy novel, The Weight of Feathers, published September 15, 2015. Two rival families travel between small towns in California in a nostalgic setting that seems to be approximately the 1960s, performing their Cirque du Soleil-type acts for the townspeople.

The French Romani Corbeaus (“Ravens”) attach wings made of wire and feathers to their bodies a
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake)

photo tumblr_static_9i013dua7604sk0g00w04g0s_zps1fet2rvg.gif

Very very cute. Just not...dazzling...in the way I wanted it to be. Don't get me wrong-it was beautiful. Just not for me. It wasn't a matter of the characters-because I adored them and was very invested and got lots of butterflies. It was the history. So. Much. History. And for someone who doesn't mind a little background information, this is perfect for you. The story was amazing. But, for me, when I'm as tired as I am, it took too much away from the romance I wanted to overtake the story.

RTC
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2016/01/09/y...

Lately, most of my audio listens have been on the darker and heavier side, so when I was given the opportunity to review the audiobook of The Weight of Feathers, it didn’t take much convincing to give this lighter, more romantic title a try. Magical realism can be hit or miss with me, but even though I hesitated over some of the mixed reviews I’ve seen for this book, ultimately the theme of forbidden love won me over.

With
Mari
Sep 22, 2016 Mari rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, diverse-recs

Full review to come!

This is my first finished book for #HispanicHeritageReads and it was a great start. I thought the right was constantly sweet and nice, if not always very sophisticated. The story was pretty simple, but I loved the underlying feeling that beneath this story of scales and wings and family feuds, there was subtle commentary about prejudice and the blindness of hate. I enjoyed it a lot and the highest compliment I can pay it is that I already miss the characters. I love Lace and
Stacee
I just don't have words for this book. It was perfection.

Love love loved Lace and Cluck. They're so similar and so different and loyal to their families. I wanted to jump in the book and squeeze both of them.

It's lyrical and whimsical and swoony and strange and sad and I loved every single page of it.

**Huge thanks to Thomas Dunne Books and NetGalley for providing the arc in exchange for an honest review**
Mackenzi
Feb 18, 2014 Mackenzi rated it it was amazing
This is such a rare and beautiful book. Though calling it a book seems like an understatement, because really, it's an experience. It wrapped me up and held onto me, and I could smell it and touch it and taste it. At a few places, I started to cry just because it was so beautiful I couldn't stand it. And the writing is so good it made me sick with envy!

You need to get this book. And then you need to cuddle it and hold it close and just breathe it in.
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
This book was OUTSTANDING!!
I loved the writing, characters and the ending. No bad Romeo and Juliet juju here. I totally thought this book would not live up to the hype but I was WRONG. Excellent read!
Giovanna
Apr 22, 2015 Giovanna rated it really liked it
I received a copy via Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

"Each feather became ten more. They spread like a thousand red lacewings. They rose like every one was its own bird, full and winged. They turned the trees to autumn, all red-feathered boughs."

Beautiful. Completely different from what I expected, but for once in a positive way. The Weight of Feathers is delicate and yet powerful, one of those stories that probably won't impress you from the start but take root in your heart in the
Carol
Aug 24, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it
***3.75 stars***
This story was very interesting. It's a Romeo and Juliet retelling with magical-realism sprinkled on there. I really liked the slow burn romance. At a first glance, Cluck and Lace are pretty average characters, but once we get to know them they have many unique characteristics. I really liked the writing, but I didn't love it how I was expecting to. This book is barely 300 pages long, so I do wish the story would've been longer. Overall, this was definitely a lovely story.
Danielle (Love at First Page)
3.5-4 stars

The Weight of Feathers is a strange and imaginative debut by Anna-Marie McLemore. There's young girls with scale-like birthmarks on their skin, and young boys with feathers growing out of the back of their hair. There's mermaid fins and faery wings, tree walkers and underwater swimmers. Two superstitious, competing-turned-feuding families who are traveling performers and who hate one another for what happened twenty years ago. Caught in the middle are Cluck, a Corbeau boy and the disg
nick
Dec 27, 2014 nick rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

Anna-Marie McLemore's The Weight of Feathers is one of the most unique books I've read in YA in a very long time. It's beautifully written, with a vivid and complex prose and has some lovely characters that shine through the pages. From start to finish, I was entirely enchanted with this lovely book.

The Weight of Feathers might take readers a little time to get adjusted to in the beginning because it has an unusual setting that you probably have never encountered before and it has a lyrical writ
Stacey Lee
Mar 26, 2014 Stacey Lee rated it it was amazing
If you're lucky enough to get an advanced copy of this book, hug yourself b/c it's like winning the lottery. It's so beautifully written, a modern Romeo and Juliet story but a whole lot more interesting. Lace and her family performs as mermaids in their traveling circus, while Cluck and his family are performing tree climbers. Every year the two families come to the town of Almendra during tourist season, dredging up old memories and wrongs. After a factory accident causing the cotton in everyon ...more
Britt
Apr 10, 2015 Britt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-review
This book has turned out to be one of my favorites this year. It has beautiful writing as well as an intriguing plot. Throw in the bit of magical realism and it is the perfect combination of all things I love! This brilliantly crafted tale had a feel very similar to Romeo and Juliet except our M.C.'s don't tragically commit suicide at the end. There is plenty of feuding families and star crossed lovers though!This review was originally posted on Please Feed the Bookworm Click here to read readin ...more
Kaitlin
Jan 01, 2015 Kaitlin rated it really liked it
*I received an e-arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

When I finished this book, I didn't have any idea of how to write a review for it—not just because it would be tough to do the story justice, but also because I don't have many detailed thoughts on the characters, plot, writing, romance, setting, etc. Just reactions and feelings, though even those are tough to place my finger on.

Here's what I can place my finger on, however:

- The tone/vibe to the story had a certain airiness—the
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
May 25, 2015 Kim at Divergent Gryffindor rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this book by the publisher for a blog tour in exchange for an honest review. This, in no way, affected my review.

Actual rating: 4.5

Tales of forbidden romance has been a recurring theme in novels for years now, but The Weight of Feathers is not just any forbidden romance novel. Unlike other forbidden romance novels which I find silly, The Weight of Feathers has a great depth to it. It's about misunderstandings, secrets, betrayal, family, friendship and love.

The pacing and pr
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
Why am I like a jewel thief in a Zales store when it comes to beautiful covers?

Plus....it has fucking mermaids.
Kels
Okay, so I didn't get that far in this book before giving up on it, but I haven't really formed an opinion on it yet either. I really think it's due to "bad timing" on my part and not being in the mood for it. The beginning is just so slow and too tedious for me to read right now. I'm not really liking the flow of it either. Lastly, I might have a heavy case of book-hangover, and this one just isn't going to be enough to get me sober.

But I do plan on picking this back up at a later date!
Erin
Jan 27, 2017 Erin rated it it was ok
This book is written for a YA audience and adults who are nostalgic about their first teenage love. Unfortunately, I was reading Leon Uris and Pat Conroy when I was 17. So I'm not sure Cluck and Lace and their family conflicts would have held my interest as a teen. But I will say that I did lose myself in the story, the chapters are relatively short, and I've never seen so many teenage girls walking around the school unable to tear their eyes away from a novel. So, the targeted audience truly lo ...more
Arielle Walker
"Those wings - all peacock feathers, no black - left her lost in dark water, trying to make out the trail of her own air bubbles to show her the way to the surface.
The black feathers the wind brought the Palomas didn't come from their wings. They came from the Corbeaus' bodies. The stories her family told their children were as much truth as warning."

Strange and beguiling in equal measure. Although the plot itself is rather straightforward if the magic and whimsy is ignored, this is hardly a ne
Summer
Later rerated to*: 3.5 Stars

*I'm rerating a lot of the books I read in the past to fit my current taste. Most of the time it's downrating books that I thought I really liked at the time but there are a few exceptions. :) And it'd be too much to try to reflect these changes on my blog, so the ratings will remain as the original ones on Xingsings.

4 Stars, Completed September 29, 2015

This is the third book I’ve read in the past month that has utilized dual perspectives, incorporated multilingual di
Megan • Reading Books Like a Boss

What initially drew me into this book was its comparison to a modern-day Romeo and Juliet. And the story did turn out to be like that in some aspects with the two dueling families. However, this book missed the mark for me completely. I had a lot of difficulty getting into the story and it was honestly a struggle for me to finish this one.

The Palomas and Corbeaus are two families of traveling performers who have hated each other for a generation. Their fued goes back to a disaster that resulted
Kristen
Dec 27, 2014 Kristen rated it really liked it
This and other reviews are on my website My Friends Are Fiction

The Story:
After reading the summary I was excited about the idea that The Weight of Feathers had a Romeo and Juliet feeling about the story- with two people falling in love against all odds and their family’s deep rooted hatred of one another. This story alternated between the point of views of both Cluck and Lace both written in third person. I’m typically not a fan of third person because it usually doesn’t allow for me to connec
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An ARC of this title was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts are my own. This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

Lovely from start to finish.

******

Have you ever seen a murmuration of starlings with your own eyes? It is truly something lovely and awesome to behold. Sorta like this book. The Weight of Feathers takes the Romeo & Juliet story and turns it on its head, making it so much more magical and intriguing than I ever thought the original
Rachel
If you think about it, it is so easy to fall in love with The Weight of Feathers. There are mentions of mermaids, faery wings, family feuds and black magic. There is a beautiful book cover. There are so many books that might easily come to mind when you come across this book -- The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender, The Night Circus and perhaps even Magonia.

But it is also equally easy to hate this book.

This book whips up a highly imaginative version of Romeo meets Juliet that invol
luv_hate21's Book...: The Weight of Feathers 2 6 Apr 27, 2016 06:20PM
Sirens Conference: The Weight of Feathers 7 22 Mar 25, 2016 09:28AM
  • This Monstrous Thing
  • Conviction
  • When I Wake
  • Out of Darkness
  • Tunnel Vision (Tunnel Vision, #1)
  • Dreamstrider
  • 5 to 1
  • Bright Lights, Dark Nights
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
  • Romancing the Dark in the City of Light
  • Anne & Henry
  • The Wanderers (The Wanderers, #1)
  • Dream Things True
  • Hold Me Like a Breath (Once Upon a Crime Family, #1)
  • Under the Lights (Daylight Falls, #2)
  • Valiant
  • Rules for 50/50 Chances
  • Scarlett Undercover
Anna-Marie McLemore was born in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains, raised in the same town as the world's largest wisteria vine, and taught by her family to hear la llorona in the Santa Ana winds. Her debut novel THE WEIGHT OF FEATHERS was a Junior Library Guild Selection, a YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults book, and a finalist for the William C. Morris Debut Award. Her second novel, W ...more
More about Anna-Marie McLemore...

“He wore his loneliness like his scar.” 15 likes
“The sense of falling did not touch her, not as long as her body was between the hands of this boy who felt steadier in the air than on the ground.” 7 likes