La Sociedad Del Riesgo/ The Risk Society: Hacia Una Nueva Modernidad

La Sociedad Del Riesgo/ The Risk Society: Hacia Una Nueva Modernidad

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  6 reviews
This panoramic analysis of the condition of Western societies has been hailed as a classic. This first English edition has taken its place as a core text of contemporary sociology alongside earlier typifications of society as postindustrial and current debates about the social dimensions of the postmodern. Underpinning the analysis is the notion of the risk society'. The c...more
Published June 28th 2006 by Ediciones Paidos Iberica (first published 1986)

Trevor
This is a remarkable book – but not least because it is so incredibly famous, even though I’ve only started hearing about it over the last couple of years. As it says in the Introduction, this book sold 60,000 copies in its first five years. That is pretty remarkable given it is a book on social theory. But I’ve found it quoted everywhere. I had to read this because I was starting to feel like the woman who was asked what she though of seeing Hamlet for their first time who said, “It was alright...more
Ole

Fucking germans. Although Beck is originally polish.

My teacher said that we should read this book, because it`s well written. It isn`t.

Ulrich Beck is a pretencious fool. His book is not scientifical, not well written, and his ideas aren`t new, or original.

Still, everyone should read this book.

Why? Two reasons.

First, the ideas introduced are true. Althought Beck doesn`t supply the scientific proofs, those who came before him did. Read the original sources.

Second, these ideas, points to bigger,...more
Sergei_kalinin
Книга сравнительно старенькая. Написана фактически живым классиком :) современной немецкой философии и социологии Ульрихом Беком. В основу книги легли тренды и проблемы Германии середины 90-х, но, как ни странно, для мира (и России особенно), книга не потеряла своей актуальности.

Сразу скажу, за что поставил "троечку": 1) читается архи-тяжело, через авторско-переводческий язык просто не продраться; 2) местами аргументация автора ой как хромает! :)

Про что книга? Собственно, основных идей две: 1) с...more
Josh
This book is full of interesting points about the problems of modernization and the resulting implications for society. Of course, because it's a sociology book, those points are buried in pages upon pages of rigid prose. Also, the phrase "On the other hand" appears at least fifty times throughout the text, sometimes twice per page. It's not a bad read, but don't expect it to be a fun one.
Jacob
Risk society might in many ways no longer be an accurate account of how we are intertwined and guided by our perceptions of risk. However, the basic idea that we are guided by our constant quest for mitigation is as true as ever.
Fiona
Really a very interesting book, but like most Sociology text books really could get the point across in half the words used.
Ashley Christensen
Ashley Christensen marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Rikke Cecilie
Rikke Cecilie marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Karel Inamsterdam
Karel Inamsterdam marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Ne
Ne marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Nouf
Nouf marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Mollie Pepper
Mollie Pepper is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2014
Jessica Kerly
Jessica Kerly marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
SomeRedhead
SomeRedhead marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Britt
Britt marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Rizwan Ali
Rizwan Ali marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
David Kirschner
David Kirschner marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Molko
Molko marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
  • The Consequences of Modernity
  • Reassembling the Social: An Introduction to Actor-Network-Theory
  • Multitude: War and Democracy in the Age of Empire
  • The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture and the Origins of the European World-Economy in the Sixteenth Century (Studies in Social Discontinuity)
  • Outsiders: Studies In The Sociology Of Deviance
  • The Logic of Practice
  • The Rise of the Network Society: The Information Age: Economy, Society and Culture, Volume I
  • The Theory of Communicative Action, Vol 2: Lifeword & System: A Critique of Functionalist Reason
  • Ideology and Utopia: An Introduction to the Sociology of Knowledge
  • Religion and the Rise of Capitalism
  • The Culture of the New Capitalism
  • Dreamworld and Catastrophe: The Passing of Mass Utopia in East and West
  • Lectures at the College de France, 1977-78: Security, Territory and Population
  • Liquid Modernity
What Is Globalization Reflexive Modernization: Politics, Tradition and Aesthetics in the Modern Social Order Power in the Global Age: A New Global Political Economy The Brave New World of Work World Risk Society