Toyer

Toyer

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Vanity Fair has called playwright Gardner McKay "a terrifying talent." Now McKay unleashes a stunningly original novel that weaves together the haunting landscape and shattered lives of L.A. with the icy terror spread by a diabolical villain...
HE DOESN'T KILL, HE DESTROYS.
Toyer doesn't kill. Instead, he leaves his victims with their physical beauty. And he leaves them cu...more
Published December 1st 1999 by Warner Books (NY) (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Toyer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toyer

Susan
I've never read a book I disliked as much as this one!!! And yet, I finished it! Go figger?!
David Ward
Toyer by Gardner McKay (Little Brown & Co. 1998)(Fiction - Mystery) was a book I really wanted to like. Gardner McKay (the author) is apparently the guy cited by name in a Jimmy Buffett song (e.g. "Hey hey Gardner McKay - take me on the Leaky Tiki with you..."), because Jimmy Buffett is one of the named authors on the recommendations page. Unfortunately, this mystery whodunit is simply not compelling. I kept going...and kept going...and kept going but just finally gave up on page 393 of 437....more
Alena
Meh.

Thriller about a serial killer who doesn't quite kill but renders his female victims in a vegetative state and a doctor and a journalist who try to find him.

The beginning was quite interesting, to see the doctor, Maude, run up against all kinds of walls because the people in charge don't take the crimes really seriously, but it fails to build/keep suspension and is rather boring. I skipped a huge chunk in the middle and read the ending just to see what's going to happen and it is kind of pre...more
"Jeff" Hall
LOVED this book. Very clever plot. Characters alternately tell the story in a chilling and compelling way. Mystery fans should seek out "Toyer."

I was intrigued by the fact that Gardner McKay was the author. I and most of my female friends were madly in love with him when he was in the tv series Adventures in Paradise. Curious, I read about McKay and found he was an educated, literate, creative man. He hated the tv series and quit acting afterwards. Wish he had written more books.
Kasandra
Uninteresting, and the killer was obviously based off of Ted Bundy.
Boring and dragged on info you didn't need to know.
Lioba
One of the scariest books I have ever read. Because it could be so true, you never know. Very thrilling.
Isabella Tugman
I wasn't impressed with this book. It was just kind of....blah. Not thrilling or mysterious at all
Jitka Jitulisko

Hračička --- myšlenka z prvních stran- kdyby film byl jen par minutový trailer vůbec by to nevadilo, trailer je akční úžasný, ale samotný film je často děs, Proč se nepromítají 2 hodiny trailery… stejně je děla někdo jiný než tvůrci filmu… Ta holka mi mluví z duše!!! Tak to se mi hned ze startu líbilo. Holka mi bude sympatická …

Postavy - Maude - Vystudovaná inteligentní žena co se utápí v smutku po zesnulém manželovi, vzteklá z ničeho neděláni úřadů na dopadeni hračičky , riskuje svoje místo upi...more
Meredith
Ten years on, I just came across this title again.
I remember being freaked. out. by this book, and it sat with me the wrong way for a while. I didn't really enjoy reading it, and never felt right recommending it, but I did finish it, and it did provoke a strong reaction in me.
Cynthia Parra
Dès qu'un personnage est arrivé, je me suis dit que c'était lui le coupable et j'avais raison. Pas vraiment de surprise, assez vulgaire manque de finesse dans l'écriture. La fin est vraiment décevante. Je croyais que les crimes de Toyer étaient abominable, mais bof.
Jennie
I read this once in high school and loved it. It is still a good book but not as good the second time around. It is suspenseful and a good thriller.
Darline
The story was okay but the killer was too predictable.
Scott
It's very involving and believable story about a psychopath that essentially lobotomizes his victims instead of kills, as well as a psychologist and reporter that work to track him down. Well, I should say that it's involving until the protracted finale with quite a few contrivances and unneeded padding. Pity, because it works very well until then. Forgive its ending devices and it's a thriller that's fairly graphic and packs a punch.
Sophi A faustin
A lil long ... but a good story after all
Hélène
Le premier chapitre est vraiment terrifiant et établit l'atmosphère de ce roman. Cependant, l'intrigue est diluée dans un dédale de situations qui deviennent un peu lassantes. Malgré tout, de par son sujet original, Toyer mérite d'être lu, non sans une certaine déception face aux attentes générées par un début, à mon point de vue, particulièrement réussi!
Thomas Bernardin
Toyer : le "joueur". Roman fast-food à plusieurs voix, manquant de finesse et de goût, découpé en tranches comme un story-board. Du cinéma version papier. Préférer l'adapation en cours par Brian de Palma...
Patricia
I could not put this book down. Well written, keeps you in suspense to the very last page, and it stays in your mind after you finish it. I will look for more Gardner McKay books.
Bianca
Freaky Deaky! This book was a psychological thriller...he he, I always wanted to say that. But really, it was scary. Good beach read. Just don't read it alone, at night.
Laura Leigh
Okay, the only reason I like this book is because I bought my copy used, and whoever read it before me had scratched out all the swear words. I'm serious.
Aubrey
Oddly, I stumbled upon this book years ago at a dollar store and bought it on a whim. It was a good thriller/mystery, especially for a buck!!
Amber
Very interesting...a bit gritty, a bit off-beat, different from other crime/serial-killer/thriller books I'e read in the past.
Not bad
Alla
This was one of the scariest books I have ever read and made me check and double check my doors. Great read.
Lori Anderson
It was worth reading, but I couldn't get used the the run-on sentences!
Sylvianne
Great suspense!!! This will make a great movie.
Qqbeans
I couldnt function til i finished this book
Julie
Toyer by Gardner McKay (1999)
Barbara
frightening but riveting!
Dana
Very poorly written.
Laurie Stoll
Good page turner.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Born George Cadogan Gardner McKay. McKay graduated from Cornell University, where he majored in art. He became a Hollywood heartthrob in the 1950s and 1960s. He landed the lead role in Adventures in Paradise, based loosely on the writings of James Michener. His character, Adam Troy, was a Korean War veteran who purchased the twin-masted 82-foot (25 m) schooner Tiki, and sailed the South Pacific.

Mc...more
More about Gardner McKay...
Journey Without a Map Sea Marks The Kinsman In Order of Appearance: A Parody in Two Acts The Kinsman