Fool for Love and Other Plays

Fool for Love and Other Plays

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  1,550 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Here are eight of Pulitzer-prizewinning Sam Shepard's most stunning plays. This brilliant American dramatist creates what The New Yorker dubbed "Shepard Country"--a landscape of the imagination, a unique theatrical experience that captures our culture and consciouness, our fears and fantasies.

FOOL FOR LOVE * ANGEL CITY * GEOGRAPHY OF A HORSE DREAMER * ACTION * COWBOY MOUT...more
Published November 1st 1984 by Bantam Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Fool for Love and Other Plays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fool for Love and Other Plays

Francisco Cardona
I really just wanted to read "Fool for Love" and "Suicide in B♭" because I wanted to compare them to Eugene O'Neill's early expressionism and saw more of it in "Fool For Love," where the characters subjectivism fuels the plot. Eddie's desire for May moves the plot along based on whether he really does want her (or not). For May, she feels Eddie does not want her, but is merely stringing her along. Here, the play becomes a departure from O'Neill because it's not allowing Eddie to become the sole...more
Gregory Knapp
Sam Shepard will have to slug it out with Lanford Wilson for Best American Playwright of the last quarter of the 20th Century.

Whatever the outcome Shepard is in contention for his startling ability to delineate the various degrees of obscene psychic cruelty that family members are capable of inflicting on one another, and to put this on the stage in a way that's not only palpable, but riveting, and even comic -- without ever diminishing our comprehension of the horrors being perpetrated.

I have n...more
Jennifer Haight
Fool For Love is a perfect play. Although the other plays in the collection aren't as strong on their own, it is an extraordinary gift to have the opportunity to see the work that formed one of America's most prominent playwright.

From Action:
"The candles draw you. You get a cold feeling outside. Separated. You have an idea that being inside is cosier. Friendlier. Warmth. People. Conversation. Everyone using a language. Then you go inside. It's a shock. It's not like you expected. You lose what...more
Summer Brennan
One morning in the West Village I went into a cafe to study for a language test for my grad program. It was raining hard, early fall, and rather dark. I realized there was only one other person in the cafe - and it was Sam Shepard. I have rarely been so star struck. I tried to be cool about it, and we exchanged a kind of nod of acknowledgement among cowboys. When he left, he leaned over and told me he liked my hat.

Fool For Love is great, as are all of his plays.
Chris
Jul 14, 2011 Chris rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chris by: robert
While plays like "Action" and "Seduced" have a sort of going-around-in-circles feeling to them, almost everything in this collection is well worth reading, both for the amount of disorientation from the world that they lead you to, and for their pure entertainment value. Shepard is funny in equal parts to how gruesome he can be at times, and also incredibly surreal.
My favorite play here is "Geography of a Horse Dreamer", seriously one of the strangest ideas for a play I have ever read, in which...more
Andrew Kubasek
Excellent stuff, even if I'm not sure I "got" every moment. Always just a bit off-kilter, each of these plays strikes a strange chord in the mind, making one think and scratch the head, knowing, just knowing, that something is there, just under the surface, if only one had the key to decipher it all.
Ian
I just read Fool For Love. Larger than life characters at the end of their tethers. The crushing of the family (and I guess that implies the American Dream?). Untold secrets loom large, with the predictable shotgun ending. There was one passage where the male family character and his dad take a walk and the description drifted into Steinbeck. I guess once you know what theatrical style you're letting yourself in for then the bombshells aren't so bad. The theatre ticket should come with the cavea...more
Michael
If you are looking to read some of Shepard's more abstract plays, look no further than this collection. With the exception of Fool For Love, this collection of mostly one-acts hover around the same theme: The simulatanious idolization and destruction of the artist. My favorites: Suicide in Bflat and Geography of a Horse Dreamer. There is also a peice entitled Cowboy Mouth that he co-wrote and performed with his then girlfriend, Patti Smith. Crazy stuff! The plays were wonderful reads but I urge...more
Dchavez06
AWFUL. I hated most if not all of these plays. I was surprised, considering how I thought True West was pretty good and he's supposed to be a renowned playwright and all. The best thing I can say about Fool for Love (the only one I even remember afterwards) was that it had an interesting sense of place. Other than that, it was implausible and unnatural to the point of the grotesque. It was well written, sure, but I ended the play not caring a single bit about the main characters and happy that i...more
Theadra
I love Shepard. And "Fool for Love" is my favorite of his plays. I can't remember how I got turned on to it. But the sad, sexy, tragedy of this strange love "triangle" is delicious. I've seen the film with Basinger and Shepard and enjoyed it. I thought the chemistry burned well, if overall the film was a bit flat. Maybe I just liked seeing it performed. Shepard's stories work better through actors.
Robert
When I went away to prep school, I was introduced to Sam Shepard through his plays True West and The Tooth or Crime. I really enjoyed these plays. I wanted more. I sought out more Shepard. That is this book. These plays may not have been as well-known as the previous, but I did enjoy them. I read them over the course of the next few years through college.
Rae
Shepard continues his theme of "connectedness" and interaction between people in this play in which a half-brother and sister deal with incest and the sometimes overpowering passion that makes us "fools for love." His themes are always dark and they deal with complicated issues, but I often come away from then with new insights.
Erica
I LOVE this man. Fantastic playwright, with a weird and wonderfully imaginative mind. He's very insightful and entertaining. I love "Fool for Love" especially. I would love to see it staged, though the film version (with Shepard himself, Kim Basinger, and Harry Dean Stanton in the leads) is pretty damn cool. I own it.
j_ay
Suicide in B-flat **ooo
Seduced ***oo
Geography of a Horse Dreamer **000

Mary Vlahovich
Saw the movie first and couldn't imagine how those scenes could be written or if they were written as produced. But there they were, easily written, easily understandable. Love this guy.
Kathleen
Sep 11, 2008 Kathleen is currently reading it
I am enthralled with his writing style. But not for the obvious reasoning of talent. More the unexpected affect of discontent left when the play is finished....
Jason Kruger
Fool for Love is one of my all time favorite plays. It's what made me want to be involved (or at the very least immersed) in the world of live theater.
Ann Canann
Hardback
Besides Fool for love (My favorite) it also includes:
Action
Angel City
Geography of a Horse Dreamer
Catherine Theis
Wow! Fool for Love is over the top! A bit melodramatic for me, and I have a generous way with that kind of thing.
Drblack85
Checked this book out of the library to read Cowboy Mouth. Loved it, definatly fucked up, but a good time.
Mark Botts
Of the plays in this collection, the title piece "Fool for Love" ran home for me.
Konrad Lenz
Great stuff. I particularly liked Cowboy Mouth, a short play Sam wrote with Patti Smith.
tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2007 tenderfoot added it
Shelves: plays
didn't read all, but did read: Fool for Love, Angel City, Cowboy Mouth, Suicide in B-flat
Ed Smith
Enjoyed the movie first read the book second.
Good play Sam.
Sarahmaywilkinson
beautifully set. Oedipus at it's best.
Pats
OFF-OFF BROADWAY EXPLOSION!
Lorraine
Not my favorite.
Aurora
Aurora marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Leeanna Rubin
Leeanna Rubin marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
  • American Buffalo
  • Burn This
  • This is Our Youth
  • The House of Blue Leaves
  • A Moon for the Misbegotten
  • Four Plays: Come Back, Little Sheba / Picnic / Bus Stop / The Dark at the Top of the Stairs
  • Three Plays: Blithe Spirit / Hay Fever / Private Lives
  • Joe Turner's Come and Gone
  • Talk Radio
  • The Real Thing: A Play
  • 'Art'
  • Three by Tennessee: Sweet Bird of Youth; The Rose Tattoo; The Night of the Iguana
  • Stop Kiss: Trade Edition
Sam Shepard is an American artist who worked as an award-winning playwright, writer and actor. His many written works are known for being frank and often absurd, as well as for having an authentic sense of the style and sensibility of the gritty modern American west. He is an actor of the stage and motion pictures; a director of stage and film; author of several books of short stories, essays, and...more
More about Sam Shepard...
Buried Child Seven Plays: Buried Child / Curse of the Starving Class / The Tooth of Crime / La Turista / Tongues / Savage Love / True West True West Fool for Love - Acting Edition A Lie of the Mind