Start by marking “Soul Cravings” as Want to Read:
Soul Cravings

Soul Cravings

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,048 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews

The search of your life is the search for your life.

In Soul Cravings Erwin McManus shows readers how our need for intimacy, meaning, and destiny point to the existence of God and our need to connect with Him. This book will deeply stir readers to consider and chase after the spiritual implications of their souls' deepest longings.

Published (first published November 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Soul Cravings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul Cravings

Sean
Mar 24, 2014 Sean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't give this book any more than 3, maybe 4, stars. Though I was impressed with a plethora of poignancy concerning human brokenness, the need for redemption, and some depths of depravity, I found a lot of the work simply entertaining, not engaging. From what I recall (I read this at least a year and a half ago, I think), there were indeed some practical, spiritual helps out of the brokenness and misery, i.e., our "cravings" are uniquely satisfied by the creativity offered to us by our Creato ...more
Janie
Jul 28, 2008 Janie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i read this book twice already. once, because i wanted to and the second time around for a book club. i have to say, out of all the erwin mcmanus books, i like this one the best. but mcmanus' gift is on the podium, he's a wonderful speaker. a consistent feeling i get after listening to him is a profound sense of validation. it's a nice feeling to walk out of a church like that.

might i add, the soul craving series on podcast is a good companion to the book.
Mar
Apr 28, 2015 Mar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I disliked the rambling, disjointed writing style, but I'm giving it 4 stars because it helped give me a better perspective on some concerns I've had lately. It's not the kind of book for everyone, and though it's a Christian book, I don't think all Christians will appreciate it. It would appeal to the "overchurched" (i.e., those who have been doing the church thing since their younger years and have grown sick of the whole over-spiritual paradigm) who desire to seek God beyond all the "churchin ...more
Kat Evans
Mar 24, 2014 Kat Evans rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone that was bored
Recommended to Kat by: no one
This book began with a lot of things I agreed with, like how religions make God sound self-absorbed and stingy with his love. I was feeling good reading it. Then it took a darker, more arrogant tone. The guy went on and on about how religions are wrong, how they take you away from God, and how i's bad. Then in this same off tone he preaches about how God is love and we need love blah blah blah. My head hurt so bad after I read this book that I had the urge to burn all religious books I owned. Th ...more
Amy
Mar 21, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I've read in a really long time. I don't usually read books like this, but I'd heard a lot of good things about Soul Cravings and decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did. Soul Cravings was one of the most thought-provoking books I've ever read. I had to stop reading, put the book down, and think about what I'd just read on more than one occasion.

Mcmanus puts into words what many of us refuse to acknowledge, even to ourselves. He claims that we are all searching fo
Orville Jenkins
May 17, 2015 Orville Jenkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
McManus has a dynamic focus on life, and an exciting multi-ethnic background. He was born in El Salvador, emigrated to the US, majored in philosophy, and now serves a Pastor of the creative Mosaic church in Los Angeles, and a national consultant on change, culture, leadership and creativity.

His foundations as a philosophy major inform his theological reflections on life and faith, and he has plunged into the mystery and excitement of actually exploring the Gospels and the meaning of Faith outsid
Lindsay
Jul 14, 2010 Lindsay rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Uhhhh, I totally judged this book by the cover, I thought it was going to be scary, the bloody fingerprint fooled me, turns out it's about religion. I'm not going to join your church, but I will finish it because I started it and that's what I do.

BBOORRIINNGG.
Stephanie Armato
Oct 25, 2015 Stephanie Armato rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-15
I guess it was a bit entertaining with some of the references he made of how the soul "craves" and finding "meanings" in life. But his version of Destiny was PURELY Christianized- NOT what I want in a book I thought was going to be religious ambiguous. I thought based on how it described and taking a glimpse by scanning it would be an awesome book for those who were NOT of the christian religion.
***NOTE TO FELLOW READERS:
If you are looking for a book that will inspire you with your spirituality
Jude
Jun 27, 2013 Jude rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Upon first glance inside the book, I was skeptical on reading it... simply because I am not one to fancy strict religious focused pieces. Though, giving it a shot, I was wrong to question it. McManus wrote it very well, and connects his life to yours very creatively. It basically is his life story, however you do not feel like you are watching someone elses life - you are reading it with connection to yours thus inspiring yourself. I found this book very touching and admired the way he entwined ...more
Justin
Oct 01, 2011 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me so much time to go through. This was not because it was a difficult read or I didn't have time, but because there was so much excellent content that I had to roll over in my mind and figure out before I could move on.

A good quote that is really sticking with me is, "God has placed cravings within your soul that will drive you insane or drive you to him. ...Life without God is starvation of the soul."

This book has really helped me to finally put words to what I have been feeli
pianogal
I saw McManus on Joyce Meyer's program and really liked him. He is one sharp fella. His book - this one at least, I haven't read others yet - had the same flashes of brilliance and insight. However, that's where it stopped. The whole thing felt like a surface dweller. And it seemed like he was a little hesitant to overly mention God or offend someone. I don't think he really was, but the book seemed like it was trying to reach the broadest audience possible - but sometimes there are hard truths ...more
Eric Zimmer
In "Soul Cravings" McManus gives an interesting look into the depth of the human soul. There are three main things that are desired (or craved) by every human being's soul: intimacy, destiny, and meaning (these three topics form the three main sections of the book). Each section is filled with approximately 20 "entries" that discuss the given soul craving. The book is written like a journal (thus the "entry" title instead of "chapter") and is therefore very random. While the entries are grouped ...more
Dale
May 15, 2012 Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quantum
I would read anything by Erwin and do have 3 more of his books in my collection. I've been slowly reading this one over the last 2 years because I don't want it to end. Its a collection of short, about 3 page writings. Very soulful and though-provoking. Erwin is the founder of a large inner-city Los Angeles church called Mosaic. Excerpts:

"To be a follower of Christ is to believe that everyone's life can be different. No one is defined by the status of birth. Our destiny is not limited to our ped
April
Feb 05, 2014 April rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't even finish the book. It's disjointed ramblings about life and the nature of things but I couldn't connect to it. There were a few illustrative stories but mostly just vague unsupported statements about giant nebulous ideas like destiny.
Josh Noles
Jan 29, 2015 Josh Noles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, tons of insight into what we crave as humans. I just wish there was more written that was leading to God instead of just highlighting things within us. Still, I would recommend it.
Kelli
Very repetitive once you get to the middle of the book. I liked the concepts. How we all long to belong, how we each want to achieve something more than what we currently are achieving. All of the themes McManus talks about are so true and so at the heart of who we are as people. But I felt like I had finished the book after about the middle of it. Reading it, I felt like I had read something like it before. Or that I already knew the stuff he was talking about. Especially, about feeing like I n ...more
thomas
Mar 20, 2008 thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was an interesting exploration into the heart's longing. mcmanus has geared this book toward the spiritual seeker and he offers christianity in response to that seeking.

mcmanus seems very in touch with how humans are wired and the struggles of the soul. he does an excellent job putting words to feelings and experiences. however, beyond the general offer of a relationship with the christian God, he doesn't offer much in the way of specifics or depth.

positively, mcmanus does not get into 10
Lisa
Jun 09, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction-faith
(christian spirituality) Amy recommended this book to me. When I worked at Willow Creek's bookstore, I saw his books everywhere but was never tempted to pick one up. The book is actually a quick read because of the unmarked pages and short, segmented chapters. The book is split up into the three main desires of the soul : love, destiny, and purpose. I couldn't really get into the first 2/3 of the book, but I loved the last third of the book, when McManus discusses trusting God. If someone is exp ...more
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 Kurt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's not that McManus said anything that was bad, it's just that he made the same three or four points OVER AND OVER. Really, you could open this book to any page, then flip to any other page, then flip to any other page, and you would lose nothing. The observations are fine, and they're presented in a conversational and friendly way, but they don't build on each other, and I think McManus would do better writing beautiful short pamphlets than trying to fill a book with three or four insights.
Pearson Bolt
Apr 12, 2011 Pearson Bolt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Soul Cravings," by Erwin McManus, is an absolutely thrilling look at the spiritual desires that take root in our soul. McManus examines three of the soul's main ambitions: intimacy, meaning, and destiny. Throughout the book, McManus describes how these three things attest to humanity's deep-seated need to love and be loved by God. It's an informative read that hits home, and it assists the reader, nurturing the spiritual inclinations.
Susan Cottrell
Sep 25, 2012 Susan Cottrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know I rated this 5 stars thought I haven't yet read it :) because of how much I LOVE this author! I read THE BARBARIAN WAY and completely loved it. OH MY GOSH, McManus is revolutionary! He speaks with a voice of swinging off the vine into the rushing water, to go wherever the Living Water wants to take you! It broke through to the wild and crazy life Jesus offers but few Christians grasp. LOVE. IT.
Jonathan
Aug 04, 2007 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting and I believe correct perspective on God and humanity. This might be tough for good Calvinists to read although it won't be seen as a direct attack. Erwin is a better speaker than writer, he writes just like he talks. Update--I just remembered he doesn't mention Jesus until about 2/3 of the way through, and I don't think he mentions any specific scripture. Serious errors in my opinion.
Becky
Feb 12, 2009 Becky is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: q32009
soul cravings is a journey through oneself, to find what the soul craves. there are three different chapters, in which contain different aspects of life. the three are love,destiny,and purpose.
I'm really enjoying this book. It's brought up a lot of things that normally I wouldn't dare to ponder. I feel like it has helped me find my inner being and has definately had an inpacted on my life.
Amberdeeva
Jan 15, 2009 Amberdeeva is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm having a hard time finishing this one. It's written so you can read 1 of the 4 sections in any order you want. So I started with the last one and have been working my way back.

I've had a harder time reading the sections that have to do with love for yourself and with accepting or finding love from others. Not really a happy place for me. So I may put this one on the "Read Later" list.
Adriel
Jul 15, 2011 Adriel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i didn't actually finish this book. made it most of the way through but the last handful of "entries" seemed to lose their steam. i did, however, give it to a friend, because i think the entries on passion and intimacy were very inspiring, and good for anyone who needs a little reminder of what we're made for, and that the desires in our heart are there for a reason.
Erin
Sep 17, 2009 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Many moments of inspirational truth (which earned a few stars), but overall, I thought the author's style of writing was very cheesy. I skimmed towards the end because it was starting to get redundant. I'd say borrow this book from the library or from someone like me who mistakenly bought it...or if you're just really needing a pick-me-up for the soul.
Jaya 2Inspire
Jan 15, 2015 Jaya 2Inspire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Very thought provoking and enlightening. Really expanded my spirit to much more than I expected. Love the entry writing format of the book and artistic pictures, simple but interesting.
Linda
Oct 13, 2012 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book was a gift. I took my time reading it, and enjoyed it. I would encourage you to read it over a broad period. That way it doesn't seem repetitive. I agree with his premise. We do... I do have soul cravings. I believe God is at the core of all those cravings, and can give us peace if we allow Him to do so.
Grace
Jul 10, 2013 Grace rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this book for a book club, the entire club abandoned it. It's so boring. Each section just repeats itself over and over throughout each "entry." I thought I would finish it even after everyone else quit, but I just can't bring myself to pick it up again. There's so many better books to spend my time on.
Aaron Thomas
If you don't like to read, read this book. It has short chapters :). This is Mcmanus's best book with An Unstoppable Force being a close 2nd. The reason this is his best book is it's written for all people. Anyone could pick this book up and be challenged in their thinking. Truth is not relative.
  • This Beautiful Mess: Practicing the Presence of the Kingdom of God
  • A Contrarian's Guide to Knowing God: Spirituality for the Rest of Us
  • The Last Word and the Word After That: A Tale of Faith, Doubt, and a New Kind of Christianity
  • The Importance of Being Foolish: How to Think Like Jesus
  • To Own a Dragon: Reflections on Growing Up Without a Father
  • Confessions of a Pastor: Adventures in Dropping the Pose and Getting Real with God
  • Created for Community: Connecting Christian Belief with Christian Living
  • Praise Habit: Finding God in Sunsets and Sushi
  • Everyday Apocalypse: The Sacred Revealed in Radiohead, the Simpsons, and Other Pop Culture Icons
  • I Am Not But I Know I Am
  • Shattered Dreams: God's Unexpected Pathway to Joy
  • Just Walk Across the Room: Simple Steps Pointing People to Faith
  • The Emerging Church: Vintage Christianity for New Generations
  • Lord, Change Me!
  • Flickering Pixels: How Technology Shapes Your Faith
  • The Holy Wild: Trusting in the Character of God
Erwin Raphael McManus is an iconoclast known as a cultural pioneer for his integration of creativity and spirituality. He is an artist, entrepreneur, and cultural thought leader who is also the founder of MOSAIC, a community of faith in Los Angeles California. Known for their innovation, creativity, and artistry, MOSAIC has been named one of the most influential and innovative churches in America. ...more
More about Erwin Raphael McManus...

“While religions have historically tried to make us the same, Jesus calls us to be different. If you have ever experienced this, you know your soul bristled at the demand to quietly get in line and conform. But something in your gut told you this was wrong. If there was a God, his value would not be uniformity, but uniqueness. And you were right. Imprinted on your soul is the fingerprint of God. There is something inside you that resists surrendering your soul to legalism. The good news is that all that time it wasn't you fighting against God; you were fighting for what God has created you to become.” 11 likes