Start by marking “The Rose and the Yew Tree” as Want to Read:
The Rose and the Yew Tree

The Rose and the Yew Tree

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  428 ratings  ·  33 reviews
A newly reissued edition of Agatha Christie's 'Mary Westmacott' novel, a Crime of the Heart novel about love and anguish across the class divide. Everyone expected Isabella Charteris, beautiful, sheltered and aristocratic, to marry her cousin Rupert when he came back from the War. It would have been such a suitable marriage. How strange then that John Gabriel, an ambitious ...more
Published July 28th 1982 by Dell Publishing Company (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about The Rose and the Yew Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rose and the Yew Tree

JackieB
I had to abandon this because it was so grim. I think the narrator was suffering from clinical depression. There was a kind of emotional "greyness" in all of the events and people he described. He didn't seem to like anybody and frequently complained about how useless he was and how meaningless his life was. I got about half way through and couldn't take anymore.
Socialbookshelves.com
The Rose and the Yew Tree is one of Christie’s pseudonymous novels, originally published under the pen name of Mary Westmacott. The novels which Christie wrote as Westmacott are usually referred to as romance novels, and while there’s a healthy dose of romance involved here, it’s more of a human interest novel than anything else.

Loosely speaking, the story follows the ruthless John Gabriel in his attempt to make it as a politician in a sleepy village, a man who would happily represent any politi
☯Emily
This book is written by Agatha Christie under an assumed name. It is not a mystery, but a "romance." I would not have believed in the character of Isabella if I had not had my son. Isabella is calm and content wherever she lives because she lives entirely in the present unable to articulate her emotions and feelings. She does not understand that others are frustrated by her inability to express herself. In addition to the "love" element, there is much political machinations. The political world ...more
Kathy
I loved Agatha Christie and her odd little Belgian and her prim Miss Marple, so I expected that I would love her Mary Westmacott stories. Unfortunately I didn't... they were good stories, but I didn't feel the usual sense of accomplishment or enjoyment upon finishing it.
The Rose and the Yew Tree sounded intriguing; instead I was left feeling down and depressed. NOT how I want to feel at the end of a story.

I can't say that even trying years later that there was any change... although the stories
Fátima
Sempre achei que Agatha Christie era uma escritora que descrevia e compreendida os diferentes tipos de pessoas e neste livro ela descreve um conjunto de personagens de um modo único e dá uma visão impressionante das suas interacções. Não é apenas uma história com personagens invulgares misturadas com pessoas comuns, denota-se a sua energia e a individualidade com aquilo que dizem e sobretudo com aquilo que não é dito.
Li uma versão em português editada pelos Livros do Brasil, não muito cuidada, c
Linda
Hugh Norreys meets a mysterious woman while convalescing at the English country home of his brother. At first he is puzzled by Isabella Charteris's air of unperturbed serenity but as their friendship develops, he becomes irresistibly drawn to her. Sadly, he can only watch helplessly as she turns away from all that is beloved and familiar in her life and starts down a questionable path. Agatha Christie writing as Mary Westmacott blends romance, politics and war to create a thought-provoking story ...more
Mary
Mar 14, 2014 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes historical fiction
Recommended to Mary by: My daughter Mareena
Everyone expected that Isabella Charteris - beautiful, aristocratic, and privileged - would marry her cousin Rupert when he returned from the War. After all, theirs would have been a most suitable marriage between the serene heiress of Castle St. Loo and her gallant knight.

That was until the enigmatic John Gabriel entered Isabella's life. He was a decorated war hero and a vulgar opportunist. That he should appear in her life at all told Isabella everything she needed to know about the final cha
Leslie
British politics, unhappy women, and dreaming of marrying your cousin. Yep, sounds like a great read. I have now read 3 of the 6 novels Agatha Christie wrote under the pseudonym Mary Westmacott. But unlike her mystery stories, I'm pretty sure I will never have a desire to re-read any of these. These are marketed as romance, but I find them too filled with depressing people with unredeeming qualities. Even the narrator here, Hugh Norreys, leaves something to be desired.
Pratiksha Das
This is my first Mary Westmacott novel and I picked it up thinking it'd be a mystery novel with either the odball M.Poirot or the adorable Miss Marple (both of whom I love). Instead, it turned out to be a romance. But did it disappoint me? Not in the least.
I throughly enjoyed perceiving the world through the eyes of Hugh Norreys, who, after being rendered invalid, has all the time in the world to observe people. Though it gets quite depressing, I will read it again.
Ed
Another non-mystery Christie. The relationships between men and women against the backdrop of small town post-war politics, seen through the eyes of Hugh, a man who has lost the use of his legs. Gabriel is a war hero and aspiring politician whose weakness is a crippling inferiority complex. The plot seems secondary to the characters. Some of them, Teresa, the wise sister-in-law and Isabella, the local "princess" are interesting.
Charu
Agatha Christie, writing as Mary Westmacott, is a master at describing people, places and incidents. She details her characters so well that they seem like somebody you might have known in real life.
Umut Babilon (Kareler ve Sayfalar)
An amazing novel about human psychology.
Gina
This is a very moving story by Mary Westmacott (aka Agatha Christie) told through the eyes of Hugh Norreys, an invalid who due to his state of health is able to observe those around him and draw conclusions on their characters. There are many themes within this story: politics, love, domestic violence and war but it all hangs together very well. It is interesting how she writes about politics, which to me is usually such a dull subject - the candidate John Gabriel has a refreshing and almost rut ...more
Nisha-Anne
Lord, the skill and unnerving perception of Christie.

I love the choice she makes in a setting, how she unashamedly places a story in the midst of a small village with no pretence to exoticism or grandeur and then proceeds to ruthlessly delineate and unpack and thoroughly dissect the characters with a psychological insight that sometimes leaves me breathless and overwhelmed, struggling to contain so much intricacy of characterisation in my head.

And her clever use of symbolism, how unusual that ce
Karenkas
por momentos me interesaba bastante y de pronto era tan aburrido que ni me daba cuenta de que leía, en algún punto me recordó a alguien que tal vez si me quería de verdad pero nunca logré comprenderlo porque era a su manera.
El final me produjo un grito ahogado casi, simplemente no podía creer que ese fuese el final.
Richa
A different and deep book... I have'nt met an Isabella in real life, she seems unreal, but well, I guess I have'nt seen the entire world.
Şeyda
Agatha Christie'nin Mary Westmacoott takma adiyla yazdigi alti kitaptan biri, iyi ve gercekci psikoanalizler ve tabii ki gizem.
Polly
Two people who should probably never have met do meet and fall in love (but definitely not like) and make each other miserable. Sounds like a terrible story, but actually isn't, mainly because the people involved aren't that simple. Agatha Christie really could write (people who say she couldn't are dorks or haven't read anything she wrote), and some of her Mary Westmacott books are the best proof of that, because they're stripped of the Poirot foibles and so on.
Mary
This was a great book! It started off a little slow, but once I got into it, it was very intriguing. The political climate of the story was quite similar to the recent political climate we had here with our recent presidential election. It was a beautiful, sad story of love and politics.
Katie
Agatha Christie delves deep into the psychology of motives and actions. She doesn't necessarily explain why someone acts the way they do through her Hugh Norreys character but she does allow John Gabriel to express why he thinks he acts the way he does and lets him contradict himself.
Sandy Hearn
I have read almost all of Agatha Christie's books, they are all kind of boring, as is this one, but the ending really got me. Everything fell into place and I really enjoyed it.
Cathy Houston
interesting story
Dan
Very good if you like Character pieces with a dose of political realism. Some great political quotes and an interesting take on a romance story.
Mj
Agatha Christie should have stuck to mysteries. I didn't care for any of the characters in this boring story written under her pen name.
Janet
A good read but a bit old fashioned. It was interesting reading an Agatha Christy that was not a mystery.

Annie
It was okay. But I prefer the Poirot books of Agatha Christie. Did not really like the Mary Westmacott.
Mimi
Apr 02, 2012 Mimi marked it as to-read
And who knew that Agatha Christie wrote non-crime novels/mysteries under a pen name?? Did you?
Sucharita
Good. very insightful and thoughtprovking.
vintage agatha christie - mary westmaccot
  • Surprise! Surprise!
  • Come, Tell Me How You Live
  • Ruin Creek
  • My Beloved Son
  • One Pair of Feet
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
Absent In The Spring The Burden Giant's Bread A Daughter's a Daughter Unfinished Portrait: A Novel of Romance and Suspense.