World as Lover, World as Self: Courage for Global Justice and Ecological Renewal

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A new beginning for the environment must start with a new spiritual outlook. In this book, author Joanna Macy offers concrete suggestions for just that, showing how each of us can change the attitudes that continue to threaten our environment. Using the Buddha's teachings on Paticca Samuppada, which stresses the interconnectedness of all things in the world and suggests th
Published October 28th 2007 by Parallax Press (first published 1991)

Charles
The parts of this book that deal with Dependent (or Interdependent) Co-Arising, the history of Buddhism, and the parallels between Buddhism and Systems Theory are very good. Joanna Macy's approach to the problem of radioactive waste, however, suffers from her own admitted fear and despair of the issue. I'm not eager to be critical of that fear: radioactive waste is a scary-ass problem; however, in order to see the issue more clearly, I think it's important for readers to be willing to do widen t...more
Julie
My Thinkgirl.net review:
World as Lover, World as Self is a uniquely large scale meditation on social justice and ecology. This newly revised and entirely relevant book may inspire activists of all causes and backgrounds. Buddhist philosophies inform Macy's work, which realistically depicts the world's devastations. At the same time, it promotes philosophical approaches to despair, shares heartening poems, and guides readers through meditation exercises. For example, she does not shy away from di...more
Christopher Heimarck
it was this book that brought me back to a respect for, and belief in, buddhism that i had years ago, before i left it and went the direction of the Bible and Christianity. and though i am primarily a Christian, i am also a buddhist. this book might be considered to be "eco-buddhist" in the sense that it reflects an understanding of buddhism, but also a deep love for the world, the creatures and plants in the world, and a desire to help do whatever possible to help human beings survive indefinit...more
Websterdavid3
(i want to thank Goodreaders for their opinions-- you ARE this "review")

World as lover, world as self; readers’ responses to Joanna Macy’s words

This is a collation of Amazon and Goodreads readers’ responses to Joanna Macy’s book, “World as love, world as self. (up to Oct., ‘13). My voice, in italics, structures and adds comments. Joanna’s voice is mostly indirect, seen through the mirror of her readers; readers identified by initials. The average reader ratings of Joanna Macy’s book were sky-hi...more
Amanda
I started reading this because B finished reading it and was talking with me about depression. I came to realize during that conversation that I can work against depression on an individual self level, I could talk all day about that, but that there was something else he was getting at. This bigger thing.

This book is about a lot of things. Mostly about future looking. A new idea for me was "reinhabiting time" to be responsible to future generations. I question whether I work for the sake of futu...more
Alison
I wanted to love this book as much as I loved Joanna's memoir, Widening Circles. Perhaps this is because I am coming to her work a little later in the game, having already seen it come alive through the voice of Bill Plotkin (and likely the work of others). I appreciate Joanna's efforts to emphasize the necessity of having a spiritual practice if one wishes to engage successfully and mindfully in social activism, yet found her guided imagery exercises a bit tedious and unconvincing. Her writing...more
Elizabeth

The Shambhala Warriors
120 (3)
Taking Heart: Spiritual Practices...more
Sep 02, 2007 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hippies, buddhists, the demographic where they intersect
I'm a huge fan of her based solely on her autobiography, so I picked this up. There's a lot of fairly technical stuff about early Buddhist doctrine, which I probably didn't understand at all. Also some stuff about 'speaking for the earth' which I just kind of ignored. The most interesting part for the non-Buddhist were the essays on her experiences studying and doing community work in Tibet and Sri Lanka.
Nick Mather
Joanna Macy merges Deep Ecology, Buddhism and systems theory to address the many environmental crises we face. Grounding her activism in spirituality, Macy provides a road map for the rest of us so that we can see the infinite extent of our relations and develop the compassion to act wisely and not get lost in despair. This is a personal and beautifully written book.
Ann Manning
I love this book--Buddhist, Environmentalist, Philospher, translator of Rilke all wrapped into a book that helps you when you feel so discouraged by the state of the world. A gifted writer/thinker she has the capacity to clarify what matters and how to stay the course no matter how discouraging things look on the surface. A deeply spiritual book.
James Giddings
This book connects ecological activism, psychology and Buddhism together in a wonderfully encouraging way. I particularly like the guided meditations that are found throughout the book, especially the "Meditations in Deep Time" section where we reconnect with the beings of the past and the future and ultimately with Gaia herself.
Eden
This book helped clarify for me the differences between Hinduism and Buddhism while pointedly and eloquently addressing the self-destructive worldviews that many of us hold, that simply do not allow for a peaceful coexistence of humans and humans, let alone humans and other life. I'm eager to read it again.
Naomi
Employing Buddhist practices to confront ecological destruction, this important work lays out practices for those struggling with despair for a challenged planet.
Websterdavid3
agree with one reviewer-- "felt like i'd been hit over the head with a 2 by 4; ;changed my life."

full review at my editors
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Ivelina
Ivelina marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Patty St.
Patty St. is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
Beram Slaven
Beram Slaven marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Alix Lutnick
Alix Lutnick marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
  • The Great Work: Our Way into the Future
  • What We Leave Behind
  • World Religions: The Great Faiths Explored & Explained
  • Soulcraft: Crossing into the Mysteries of Nature and Psyche
  • Gardner's Art Through the Ages, Vol 1, Chapters 1-18 (w/Artstudy Student CD-ROM & Infotrac)
  • Transformation and Healing: Sutra on the Four Establishments of Mindfulness
  • Buddhist Scriptures
  • The Next American Revolution: Sustainable Activism for the Twenty-First Century
  • The Invisible Sex: Uncovering the True Roles of Women in Prehistory
  • Nine-Headed Dragon River: Zen Journals, 1969-1982
  • Original Wisdom: Stories of an Ancient Way of Knowing
  • Confronting Collapse: The Crisis of Energy and Money in a Post Peak Oil World
  • The 5-Minute Iliad and Other Instant Classics: Great Books For The Short Attention Span
  • My Name is Chellis and I'm in Recovery from Western Civilization
  • The Bridge at the Edge of the World: Capitalism, the Environment, and Crossing from Crisis to Sustainability
  • The Tibetan Book Of The Dead
  • Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth/Healing the Mind
  • Practice of the Wild
Active Hope: How to Face the Mess We're in without Going Crazy Widening Circles: A Memoir Pass It on: Five Stories That Can Change the World Joanna Macy: The Work that Reconnects Coming Back to Life: Practices to Reconnect Our Lives, Our World

“Of course, even when you see the world as a trap and posit a fundamental separation between liberation of self and transformation of society, you can still feel a compassionate impulse to help its suffering beings. In that case you tend to view the personal and the political in a sequential fashion. "I'll get enlightened first, and then I'll engage in social action." Those who are not engaged in spiritual pursuits put it differently: "I'll get my head straight first, I'll get psychoanalyzed, I'll overcome my inhibitions or neuroses or my hang-ups (whatever description you give to samsara) and then I'll wade into the fray." Presupposing that world and self are essentially separate, they imagine they can heal one before healing the other. This stance conveys the impression that human consciousness inhabits some haven, or locker-room, independent of the collective situation -- and then trots onto the playing field when it is geared up and ready.

It is my experience that the world itself has a role to play in our liberation. Its very pressures, pains, and risks can wake us up -- release us from the bonds of ego and guide us home to our vast, true nature. For some of us, our love of the world is so passionate that we cannot ask it to wait until we are enlightened.”
17 likes
“In the first movement, our infancy as a species, we felt no separation from the natural world around us. Trees, rocks, and plants surrounded us with a living presence as intimate and pulsing as our own bodies. In that primal intimacy, which anthropologists call "participation mystique," we were as one with our world as a child in the mother's womb.

Then self-consciousness arose and gave us distance on our world. We needed that distance in order to make decisions and strategies, in order to measure, judge and to monitor our judgments. With the emergence of free-will, the fall out of the Garden of Eden, the second movement began -- the lonely and heroic journey of the ego. Nowadays, yearning to reclaim a sense of wholeness, some of us tend to disparage that movement of separation from nature, but it brought us great gains for which we can be grateful. The distanced and observing eye brought us tools of science, and a priceless view of the vast, orderly intricacy of our world. The recognition of our individuality brought us trial by jury and the Bill of Rights.

Now, harvesting these gains, we are ready to return. The third movement begins. Having gained distance and sophistication of perception, we can turn and recognize who we have been all along. Now it can dawn on us: we are our world knowing itself. We can relinquish our separateness. We can come home again -- and participate in our world in a richer, more responsible and poignantly beautiful way than before, in our infancy.”
12 likes