Start by marking “The Adventures of Taxi Dog” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Taxi Dog

The Adventures of Taxi Dog (Maxi the Taxi Dog)

Maxi, a homeless mutt in New York City, has always fended for himself. Then one day a kind taxi driver named Jim offers him friendship, a home, and a place in the front seat! From that moment on, Maxi and Jim revel in the sights and sounds of the city, and share all sorts of wild adventures-from rushing two clowns and a chimp to the circus, to singing duets with an opera ...more
Published March 1st 2000 by Puffin Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Taxi Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Taxi Dog

midnightfaerie
Aug 28, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
We enjoyed this book for our first read. The illustrations were so detailed and the story line brought up questions with my 5 yr old about whether or not there really could be a dog that rode in a taxi and we had long discussions about how it was entirely plausible. I, myself, along with my preschoolers, enjoyed the limerick-style rhyming of the words throughout and made it unique for us. A good addition to our children's library.
Courtney Sharpton
Feb 10, 2011 Courtney Sharpton rated it really liked it
Students will enjoy some of the silly illustrations in this book. This book is great for students who love animals and this would also be a great book to talk about taxis. Some students may have never seen a taxi and would have no idea that they can pay someone to drive them somewhere. This could lead to discussion on different forms of transportation or even cities in general.
Jaelyn J.
Jun 28, 2015 Jaelyn J. added it
Shelves: rhyming
My children love rhyming words and this is definitely the book for it. It is a great way to solidify phonemic awareness within my students. As I read I would have my students anticipate the rhyming word just based on the previous rhyming word (i.e. "Oh, joy" " My tail waggles with such ... joy!).
Jessica Riben
Title: The Adventures of Taxi Dog
Author: Debra and Sal Barracca
Illustrator: Mark Buehner
Genre: Picture Book
Theme(s): Adventures, family, love and being wanted
Opening line/sentence: My name is Maxi, I ride in a taxi around New York City all day.
Brief Book Summary: One day a dog who lived alone on the streets found a man who was a taxi driver. The man took him in and the dog now lived in his home and road in his taxi with him all day. He saw many people each day and when on lots of adventures.
Pro
Serena
Sep 02, 2014 Serena rated it it was amazing
The Adventures of Taxi Dog follows the life of a dog whose owner is a taxi driver in New York City. It starts with a brief introduction of what the dogs name is and who he belongs to before going into the story of how he came to belong to his owner Jim. Once the taxi driver takes him in, the story retells all the different adventures that this spunky dog and his vibrant owner partake on. Some of the different fares they pick up to rush to a new spot are interesting and lively, making a decent l ...more
Daphne
Sep 09, 2016 Daphne rated it it was amazing
Fantastic rhythmic book about a stray dog adopted by a New York taxi driver. As the dog travels all over the city with his new owner and friend, they meet people from all walks of life. The authors were inspired to write this after riding in a taxi whose owner kept his dog with him in the front seat, and if you buy this book, a portion of the proceeds will be donated by the authors to The Fund for Animals in New York City.
Jade Kuhn
Aug 03, 2013 Jade Kuhn rated it it was amazing
Barracca, Debra and Sal. The Adventures of Taxi Dog. Illustrated by Mark Buehner. New York: Puffin Books, c1990.

I know a lot of people have probably read this book or heard of it before, but I wanted to go ahead and review it anyway for those who have not. It follows the journey of a taxi man and his dog through the work day. The story is told completely in rhyme and is very playful. This would be a great read for a reader moving past level 1 reading.

The illustrations are beautiful. They are ver
Marlowe
Jul 18, 2015 Marlowe rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My son and I really enjoyed The Adventures of Taxi Dog. The story is a sweet one, narrated by a stray dog who is adopted by a taxi driver and gets to ride along in the taxi and meet lots of interesting people. The message of finding pets to love is a, of course, a wonderful one.

The writing was fairly decent, though the flow got a little jagged at times. It’s a small complaint, though.

Mostly, I loved the illustrations. The pictures are full of character, with bold colours and lots of personality.
Lauren Grosch
Feb 22, 2016 Lauren Grosch rated it it was amazing
I thought The Adventures of Taxi Dog was a great book! From the wrap around cover of the dog in the taxi to the way the words rhymed. It's a story about a dog who used to roam the streets for food and shelter until a taxi driver found him and brought him home. He named the dog Maxi and said he could ride in the taxi with him. They go on all kinds of adventures picking up opera singers, clowns and a woman having a baby. They wait in line at the airport and watch the planes. Maxi is very happy ...more
Amy
Feb 18, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
This is an exciting book for kids to read, because it comes from the perspective of a rescued dog and showcases parts of the city and what it's like to travel in a taxi. I think this would be really fun for children who don't live near a city and don't experience what a taxi is like. For many, taxis are really exciting the first few times they are experienced. This was also a sweet message about taking care of dogs and a good discussion on homeless animals and what people can do to change that.
Melissa Alani
May 14, 2012 Melissa Alani rated it it was amazing
I have found memories of reading, "The Adventures of Taxi Dog" to my son when he was little boy (He is now 21). When we adopted a dog from the pound, we had to name him Maxi. His giggles as he found the little black cat on each page; still warms by heart to this day. When I published my book, the illustrator asked me if I had any request. My one request, was that there was a hidden item on each page. I wanted my readers to create the same found memories of reading my book to their little ones, ...more
Darrielle
Feb 22, 2011 Darrielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs
The Adventures of Taxi Dog is sure to be an instant hit as a read aloud. Full of fun word play, vivid pictures and fun characters that meet Maxi the dog in the Taxi make the story come alive. To take the lesson even further have student make a route for Max and Jim, create a story between Max and one of the fares, who is this person, where are they going, what kind of things do they talk to Max about? Once students create their story of Max and someone they meet perhaps they can put on a play to ...more
Rosa Cline
Feb 05, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it it was amazing
This is a very special story told in rhyming verse about a dog living all alone and trying to take care of himself.. until a broken down taxi leads the driver to see him and takes him home with him. They become fast friends and the dog has a forever home. He has lots of fun being a taxi 'rider' helping with tips for his driver as he entertains them. A special story of how a rescue dog is loveable and finds his forever home. My special needs teen age son loved listening to this story and looking ...more
Beckie Coldiron
Apr 05, 2011 Beckie Coldiron rated it really liked it
What a fun book that takes readers on an entertaining adventure through the eyes of a dog! Besides the wonderful creativity, Debra Barracca does a great job implementing rhyming words for those early readers! I would also use this book as a writing prompt for students by using, " The adventures of...." This would also be a fun book to use when exploring with different sight words. " The Adventures of Taxi Dog" is a fun-filled book, which would be great for children in kindergarten and first ...more
Caitlin Barclay
This is such a cute book! Al dog lovers will understand the connection the dog has with his new owner. Since it is a rhyming book, it can be used as an example of phonemic awareness. It is also a great way for new writers to see a book written from the perspective of the dog. I would also use this book to point out the importance and advantages of helping animals and anybody else that doesn't have a home!
Brandy Locchetta
This is a great book full of rhymes. This story follows a dog as he travels throughout a busy city. I would use this book in a science or block center to prompt children to investigate the beautifully detailed pictures. The language used throughout this book is also great to use in a writing center on word rings. I think this could also be used to discuss the different communities that people live in (cities, suburban, farms, etc).
Alexa Maring
Apr 11, 2011 Alexa Maring rated it it was amazing
Connect to all your dog lover by reading this book about a taxi driver who takes a dog on an adventure. Lead students into a writing prompt about where they would take their pet or their favorite toy. As this book focuses on rhyming, be sure to teach students this craft! What an impact it can make on the flow of some writings. The vivid and bright illustrations make this book hard to put down. Sometimes, it is just as fun to look at the pictures!
Peacegal
Jun 19, 2013 Peacegal rated it liked it
What's good about it:
A fun loving book featuring a quirky taxi driver who rescues a homeless dog and gives him a wonderful, colorful life. The author dedicates the book to pets in need.

What's not so good:
A crew of circus clowns and their performing chimp hop a ride in the taxi. This is presented as wacky and funny. Humane-minded parents may not be so enthused about this depiction of animal circuses.
Sarah Kasper
Feb 14, 2011 Sarah Kasper rated it liked it
Shelves: dog-books
This book is great for the dog-lovers in your classroom. The illustrations are awesome in this book, and the constant rhyme will make it enjoyable for children Pre-K through 2nd grade to hear as a read-aloud. I would read this to my students and ask them to write more...what other adventures could taxi dog go on?
Brittany White
This book is a lot of fun. It is from the perspective of a dog who enjoys riding through the city with his owner and friend. The text contains several rhyming words that students can learn. This can be used as a read-aloud from grades K-2; I would use this as a writing lesson. I would have my students write about other places that a taxi dog can go.
Auttumn C
Feb 22, 2011 Auttumn C rated it it was amazing
This book could be a wonderful read aloud to get your students thinking about creative story ideas! This book could lead students to think of what places they would want to see if they were a taxi driver! This book can also be used a an example to point out people who do a service. The students will be entertained by the beautiful illustrations and the places the taxi dog travels!
Angela Moorer
Mar 26, 2011 Angela Moorer added it
Shelves: animals
I enjoyed this book. It's funny because we all know how we feel about things. Knowing that an animal enjoys being in the big city too is funny. I like how the story is written. I wouldn't use this text to teach any particular concept. I believe it is just one of those fun read alouds that is a pleasure to have in the classroom library.
Rebecca
Apr 05, 2011 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
I love reading this book. As a reader, I cannot put the book down because it makes me want to read until I know the ending of the story. It will be a perfect book to read to the students and the teacher should let them imagine what will happen in the future. This book will be also good for those students who love animals.
Raven Grider
Feb 22, 2011 Raven Grider rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This book is great for a read aloud; it is funny and easy to relate to (most children have dogs at home). Dog lovers alike can come together and enjoy this book! Also, The Adventures of Taxi Dog is wonderful for phonemic awareness in the sense that there are lots of rhymes!
Amy Olson
Feb 21, 2011 Amy Olson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-book
A book filled with rhyming words, which will help students connect rhyming words with word families. As we did in groups in our literacy class students can create word family ‘flip books’ that allow students to explore this concept of word families.
Nia King
This cute little dog finally finds a companion, a caregiver, and a very best friend! The trips Maxi and Jim take you on a rhyming adventure. This book is great for literacy and connecting text to world.
Caroline Barnett
This book would be great to introduce different lifestyles, some children may connect with the city if they have lived or visited the city, and others can see what the city might be like. Children who love dogs will especially like this book!
Kelly
Oct 01, 2016 Kelly rated it really liked it
Illustrated by Mark Buehner. I LOVED this book as a kid and still think it's super cute. With a nice rhyme and a sweet story, it's sure to be a book that all kids will like. The illustrations are EXCELLENT too.
Michelle King
Apr 10, 2011 Michelle King rated it it was amazing
The Adventure of Taxi Dog is hilarious. The book is about a taxi driver that picks up a stray dog and takes him on an adventure through New York. The students in your class will enjoy this one. Great pick for story time and individual reading time.
Jen
Feb 09, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
I am a sucker for dog books and when you pair up a homeless dog with a taxi driver who has so much love to give, you have a winner in my book! Great rhyming story of Maxi the dog who will weasel her way right into your heart.
  • The Night I Followed the Dog
  • Cdb!
  • The Little Scarecrow Boy
  • I Love Saturdays y Domingos
  • Miss Bindergarten Celebrates the 100th Day of Kindergarten

Maxi the Taxi Dog (4 books)
  • Maxi, the Hero (Maxi the Taxi Dog)
  • Maxi, the Star