Start by marking “The Last Templar (Templar, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Last Templar (Templar, #1)

The Last Templar (Templar #1)

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  32,329 Ratings  ·  1,382 Reviews
The Last Templar is Raymond Khoury's epic debut novel. When four horsemen dressed as Knights Templar storm the Metropolitan Museum and steal a medieval artifact, an FBI agent and an archaeologist are plunged into a race across three continents in search of the relic and its hidden secrets.

Unabridged CDs - 13 CDs, 15 hours

Audio CD, 1 page
Published November 23rd 2006 by Penguin Audio (first published January 19th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Templar, please sign up.

Robert Browning Tried to read this - I really did. But it was just too unbelievable. I don't care how good one man is he is not going to be able to kill an entire…moreTried to read this - I really did. But it was just too unbelievable. I don't care how good one man is he is not going to be able to kill an entire special forces team like the bad guy does in this book. Even Rambo didn't take on Special Forces (in the book) - just some local police.

The backstory was fascinating but the present time story was too over the top.(less)

Nick
Jun 23, 2008 Nick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are dumb
Recommended to Nick by: the internet
Are you tired of reading books that you have to think too much about? Do you like obvious details being overtly and continuously pounded into your head? If you answered yes to these question then I recommend The Last Templar.

Raymond Khoury thrusts the plot of this book upon the reader in much the same way the creepy guy on the crowded subway car thrusts his junk against your ass every time the car shakes.
You're not positive that he's doing it on purpose but you still feel violated and used.
Zeek
Initially, I found The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury to be surprisingly engaging, despite the less than stellar reviews on Amazon. By the time I turned the last page I understood why it doesn’t quite work for many people.

Doesn’t work for men- Because the writer attempted to throw in a romance between the FBI agent called in to solve the case of the mystery horseman dressed as Templar knights who raided NY Met committing gruesome murder along the way and the archeologist Tess, who just happened
Artemis Slipknot
Jun 25, 2016 Artemis Slipknot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Αρκετά καλό βιβλίο. Έχει μυστήριο, αγωνία και εξελίσσεται γρήγορα. Μου άρεσε το μπλέξιμο της μυθοπλασίας με την πραγματικότητα και μου άρεσε που στο τέλος ο συγγραφέας ξεκαθαρίζει που αρχίζει και τελειώνει το καθένα. Γενικά είναι ένα βιβλίο που μόλις το αρχίσεις θές να μάθεις το τέλος και δεν το αφήνεις!!
Billy
Apr 06, 2014 Billy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Great Book! Don't believe the naysayers...,

This book was excellent and enthralling. The plot twists and characters were laid out wonderfully and I finished the book in just under a week because I could not put it down. Would have read it quicker if I hadn't gone to work each day.

Khoury has offered a piece of historical fiction (acurate up to the destruction of the Knights by Phillip the Fair of France) revolving around the mystery of the last days of the Knights Templar and the final resting pla
Scot
Jan 02, 2009 Scot rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ultimately, I didn't like this book, but I hate failing any work with just one star, and parts of the plot were exciting, so I'll be magnaminous and give this two stars. I do enjoy historical studies, and have long been interested in the Knights Templar. When the opening few pages of this book were described to me by someone who had just started it, I mistakenly thought the book would involve time travel, and that intriguing overlay led me to eventually check it out for myself.

Those opening few
Gordana
Jul 11, 2015 Gordana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Odlicna knjiga, tematika kojoj nema kraja vec stoljecima i nikad ni nece biti. Jedina zamjerka..... E pa nadam se da se neki nece uvrijediti, al zasto bas uvijek crkva mora biti ta koja pobjecuje!
Samantha
Dec 21, 2007 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book started off really strong and fast. I was really interested in the concept that Jesus wrote a book in the Bible stating that he was human not Son of God and the Vatican wanted to destroy it. However, the book in the middle somehow got lost. It got bogged down in some very farfetched plot devices that won't even make sense in a movie. This book was written first as a screenplay then turned into a book when the author decided it would be better to market the book that way. I didn't like t ...more
Matt
Mar 04, 2009 Matt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hardly ever buy a book and not finish it. But put this book in that category.

It never got rolling. The characters were hard for me to keep straight... not a good sign. The idea is good but I don't think I got deep enough into it (only about 65 pages) to appreciate it.

I can't recommend this book... okay I can... to someone on a long plane or train ride. It will get you from sitting there mindlessly reading and turn it into a peaceful slumber.

Sorry--- but does anyone want to buy it from me? pap
Charly
Nov 18, 2010 Charly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
I found this to be a most interesting read. As a well written suspense piece should, it contains twists right to the very end. Khoury does a very nice job with this and the entire Templar speculation. I enjoyed this quite a bit. to say any more might require a spoiler notation.
Marc
May 28, 2008 Marc rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Last Templar" was a pretty good book - standard adventure/suspense fare. It was pretty well written, although the second half of the book wasn't as enjoyable as the first. The crime drama part in the beginning was relatively exciting and enjoyable, but once the story leaves New York for Turkey, it loses some of its suspense, and doesn't have as many twists and turns as one would wish. It also has several chapters of boring historical/religious background (right in the middle of the second h ...more
Daniella
Feb 28, 2010 Daniella rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who actually liked The Da Vinci Code.
Recommended to Daniella by: Angela
Blah, blah, whatever. This seems like The Da Vinci Code all over again, except the writing is marginally better. That's not saying much, though, considering just how hard that book sucked. The Last Templar doesn't quite meet DVC levels of suckery; it had potential, I thought, but the writing turned out to be too technical, for lack of a better way to put it. Basically, Khoury seems to labor under the notion that his readers won't be able to understand the story unless his writing is absolutely, ...more
K.B. Goddard
Now, the last thing I want to do is insult someone else’s work so I don’t often do negative reviews but I also want to be honest. I didn’t really like this book and I’ll try to be fair as I explain why:

The premise sounds good. Four horsemen dressed as knights Templar ride up to New York’s metropolitan museum during the opening of a Vatican treasures exhibition and launch a raid, one of the stolen items is a medieval decoder. FBI agent Sean Reilly and archaeologist Tess Chaykin set out to discove
Κώστας
Πολλοί εμπλεκόμενοι που κινούνται ανεξάρτητα.
Ταυτόχρονη δράση σε πολλαπλά πεδία.
Πολύ κατανοητή γραφή,ελάχιστες περιγραφές,διαρκής εστίαση στην ουσία, ξεκάθαρο στα νοήματα.
Αρχικές εκτιμήσεις για πρόσωπα που υπερτερούν,γρήγορα ανατρέπονται.
Εκκίνηση γρήγορη & σοκαριστική,ρεπρίζ τουρμπίνας!
Το ακριβώς αντίθετο των βιβλίων-κοιλιά που βουλιάζουν και ψάχνουν ναυαγοσώστη,ο φρενήρης ρυθμός του θηλιά για τον αναγνώστη.
Εξαιρετικό βιβλίο που εξελίσεται με κινηματογραφική ταχύτητα.

Αποσπάσματα
...μπορεί να
Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)
Feb 19, 2012 Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) by: My son Scott
This is probably a 4.5 but rounding it up to 5 because I read it almost without putting it down in a day and a half - because I literally had to find out just what was happening. It is historical, modern, a detective story, a romance, a mystery for sure...all wrapped up into one intriguing story. The Prologue begins in the year 1291 and this is where we meet Martin of Carmaux in a battle to save the Holy Land from the Muslim onslaught. Martin is one of the Knights Templar and preparing to fight ...more
Patrick Gibson
Dec 08, 2008 Patrick Gibson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: testosterone
It seems like most reviewers here picked up this book out of desperation at an airport. Haven’t we all done that? In my case, the book was left behind at the house by a friend (who didn’t warn me). I was in the mood for a ‘DaVinci Code’ clone—so why not? I’ll tell you why not: it’s crap. I would give it to a thrift shop, but then I’d be afraid someone might pick it up for a quarter and read it. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone (well, maybe one person I have in mind), so I will use the pages for pa ...more
Monique
Jan 19, 2016 Monique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked reading this (a few years back). Its historical background mixed with the mystery of the Templars - those bad assed warrior priests...my kind of read!
I won't re-cap the story here, as one can read the synopsis. I will say that it is just as good, if not better, than The Da Vinci Code.
Collin
Jan 26, 2009 Collin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury is a book that none other can match. Even though many would say that Khoury's writing is comparable to Dan Browns, I beg to differ. This book is not only a hunt for long last treasure, but people who are trying to make their mark on society.

Tess Chaykin is an archaelogist who lives in the outskirts of New York City. She experiences something many people do not ever see. She is present at a museum during a mass murder that begins her non stop adventure across t
Richard Gazala
Mar 13, 2010 Richard Gazala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much. The story is well-paced, the plot twists and turns engagingly, and the characters are sufficiently motivated to propel the action to its conclusion. I appreciated how Khoury allowed the two principal characters to examine their religious and spiritual beliefs during the course of the story, questioning and scrutinizing their respective belief structures. That the belief system in question in "The Last Templar" is Christianity generally, and Roman Catholicism specif ...more
Malcolm
Raymond Khoury's "The Last Templar" (2006) is part of a deluge of novels and nonfiction to step outside mainstream history to explore the real, prospective and imagined secrets about alchemy, the Knights Templar, and the origins of Christianity.

One cannot help but think of Katherine Neville's "The Eight" (1997) which focused on present-day people fighting over and/or guarding the secrets of the Philosopher's Stone and Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" (2003) which speculated about the true meaning
Michelle
Oct 07, 2010 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a few years ago. I suppose it was close on the heels of Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code. Everyone was jumping on the relics/mysterious ancient social orders bandwagon. And I'm sort of a sucker for thrillers that deal with the aforementioned. I know, I know...cliche. Whatever. I like escapist lit once in a while. So sue me.

I think I might have really enjoyed this one (i.e., given in three stars because let's be honest, most thrillers are guilty pleasures, not destined for
Armin Hennig
Hatte mir viel von dem Buch versprochen und mich im Vorfeld über eher flaue Bewertungen auf der Krimi-Couch gewundert. Muss aber zugeben, dass es sich dabei eher schon um eine eher günstige Bewertung handelt.
Zwar liest sich der rätselhafte Überfal lauf die Ausstellung zwar ganz gut, aber leider kann der Autor seine Geheimnisse nicht für sich behalten und verschenkt damit das Spannungspotenzial seines Plots.
Kaum ist der geheimnissvolle Raubzug über die Bühne, da wechselt er schon die Perspektive,
Wicaksono Wicaksono
Bukan main, dalam buku setebal 668 halaman ini, Raymond berhasil menyajikan ramuan yang padu antara sejarah, logika, dan tentu saja imajinasi yang kreatif untuk mempertanyakan kebenaran sebuah kitab suci, yaitu Injil.
Buku ini juga menambah panjang guncangan polemik kepercayaan yang terjadi saat ini. Pengungkapan akan adanya Injil Kristus yang merupakan tulisan tangan asli Yesus dan isi yang sangat berbeda dari Injil yang sekarang, melengkapi polemik teori kontroversial Dan Brown serta perdebata
Kathy
Jan 16, 2009 Kathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Obviously, I have a thing for this topic. But I did not like the criticism of believers in the "Christian myth". The author spent too much time giving voice to the characters who felt they needed to tear down everyone who demonstrated faith. There were also too many gratuitous killings and too many "amazing" recoveries and reappearances.
Roy
Feb 21, 2008 Roy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sucker for any knights templar related fiction. This one fit the bill nicely without shattering the earth or taxing my brain too heavily. A pleasant light read for those who gobbled up all of Dan Brown's books and are hungry for more of basically the same meal, give or take a couple appetizers.
Fuad Fidah
May 19, 2016 Fuad Fidah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
বেশ দরুত গতির একটা থরিলার। খুব আকরষনীয় পলট না। ভিঞচি কোড এর পলট এর সাথে আমার কাছে অনেকটাই মিল আছে বলে মনে হয়েছে। কিনতু ভিঞচি কোডের থরিল টা নাই। তারপরেও ছোট পরিসরে বেশ ভালভাবেই কাহিনী এগিয়ে গেছে।
বইটাতে সটোরি টেলিং টা শুরুর দিকে যত ভাল ছিল শেষের দিকে তত ভাল হয় নি। পরায় সময় কাকতালীয় ঘটনার উপসথাপনা পলট কে মারাতমক কষতিগরসত করেছে। আর টিপিকযাল থরিলার বই এর মত এত ছোট বইএও রোমানস এর উপসথিতি অপরয়োজনীয় মনে হইছে আমার। বই টাতে যে ফিলোসফি দেখান হইছে তাও আমার কাছে ভাল লাগে নাই। আমি রকষনশীল বলেই হয়ত। আসলে কেন শ
Rika Safrina
Jul 12, 2008 Rika Safrina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Davinci Code's fans
There isn't any contradiction between Davinci Code's Dan Brown and this book, especially about the inheritance of Jesus. So far, it's a nice book for telling us the story from 1300 M, but from the writing style, Dan Brown has more nice plot to be followed than Khoury.
Tony Yeafoli
Feb 27, 2015 Tony Yeafoli rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bad
You should carry this book wherever you go just in case you find yourself stranded and need to make a fire. To compare this book to "The Da Vinci Code" is an insult to Dan Brown.

It was dull and boring. The characters were poorly developed and the protagonists didn't do anything that made any sense as far as their stations as an archaeologist and a FBI agent go. They willingly desecrate world changing artifacts and violate international laws with no regard to either maintaining professionalism or
Liam
Jul 18, 2007 Liam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Perhaps the worst novel I have ever read. It makes Dan Brown look like an elegant stylist and a profound historian.
kostas  vamvoukakis
τίποτα το ιδιαίτερο με πολλά κλισέ... για παραλία
Andrew
Jan 02, 2016 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
've had this book for some time now, but hadn't picked it up to read it (actually, listen to the audio version) until recently – I think the sheer size of the book written by an author I was unfamiliar with was intimidating.

I was acting foolish.

In “The Last Templar”, Raymond Khoury effectively interweaves the historic tale of the Knights Templar with the historical fictionalized last days of that organization with a modern-day treasure hunt for something of great significance left behind by thos
Made into TV Movie 5 131 Jul 15, 2013 04:45AM
Wrong PAGE NUMBER!!! 8 101 Jun 02, 2013 01:34PM
wrong author !!! 1 74 Aug 24, 2009 11:04AM
  • The Double Eagle (Tom Kirk, #1)
  • The Sword Of The Templars (Templar, #1)
  • Sign of the Cross (Payne & Jones, #2)
  • Knights of the Black and White (Templar Trilogy, #1)
  • The Lost Tomb (Jack Howard, #3)
  • The Venetian Betrayal (Cotton Malone, #3)
  • The Nostradamus Prophecies (Antichrist Trilogy #1)
  • The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud
  • Brethren: An Epic Adventure of the Knights Templar (Brethren Trilogy, #1)
  • The Book of Secrets
  • The First Apostle (Chris Bronson, #1)
Raymond Khoury is the author of five consecutive New York Times and #1 international bestsellers, starting with his debut novel, THE LAST TEMPLAR. His books have been translated into 38 languages, with over 10 million copies in print.

Raymond came to writing thrillers from a career in screenwriting, which including the BAFTA award winning BBC series SPOOKS (aka MI:5 in the US) and Waking The Dead.
More about Raymond Khoury...

Templar (5 books)
  • The Templar Salvation (Templar, #2)
  • The Devil's Elixir (Templar, #3)
  • Rasputin's Shadow (Templar, #4)
  • The End Game (Templar, #5)

“...you can't let something that'll probably never happen ruin your life. You're only helping to make it a self-fulfilling prophecy” 18 likes
“...maybe we don't need a heavenly bribe or the fear of hell and damnation to make us behave decently. Maybe it would be healthier if people started believing in themselves instead.” 11 likes