Whose Chick Are You?

Tap!

Peck!

Crack!

Pop!

A chick hatches out of its egg, but who does it belong to? No one seems to know—not Goose (Honk!), not Duck (Quack!), not Hen (Cluck!), not Bird (Chirp!). Not even Little Chick (croo? croo?).

But Little Chick's parents know, and—as sharp observers will delight in noting—they've been swimming nearby all along.
Published January 23rd 2007 by Greenwillow Books

Jess Brown
When different types of birds discover an egg, they all begin asking whose chick is inside. The baby is eventually discovered to be a little swan. Great use of animal sounds would make this one a great read aloud at home or in a group setting.
Denise
This is a very simple book that would be great for toddlers. Children would love to do all the animal noises and the illustrations are vibrant.
Jen

I really liked this book. The story was simple, the words few and easy to understand. The illustrations were nice and I liked how the swans were shown in the water, never far from their egg, when the others were investigating it. I think this would be a good book to introduce young children to the joys of reading and to the sounds a few animals make. My only complaint about the book was that it was hard to distinguish the goose from the duck in a few of the illustrations, and the chick...more
Clarissa
Nancy Tafuri is always great to read to very young children!

A sweet simple book about eggs hatching.
Paula
Read for Early Headstart 4.17.2014
Read for Headstart 4.24.2014
Heidi
I need some toddler books, and this should do the trick! Easy animal sounds for the children to mimic. And some guessing for the older ones in the group, too. Few words. Large pictures with good color. I think it will work!

6/29/10 & 7/1/10 Not bad. I made this into an activity where we matched up pictures of the baby birds with their various mothers. It kept focus and interest and passed time, too. Plus, it FELT like it was educational. Not sure if it was! :-)
Andria
This one is a really good one as the kids can help with some of the lines as I read it aloud.
Susan
Just right for storytime for the younger set. There are a lot of egg/duck/chicken/who am I stories out there and for good reason - children love to be reassured that everybody belongs to somebody. The art is wide on the page, gentle to the eye, and perfect for sharing with a group of toddlers. Swans, always magical, add a special touch to the story.
Melanie
An egg is left alone and the surrounding birds try to figure out whose egg it is. While they're watching it, the egg hatches. Out comes an unusual looking chick. No one knows who's it is. A beautiful swan joins the crowd. She knows who's chick this is.
June
Apr 10, 2012 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: librarians, parents & preschool teachers
I thought that this would be too simple for the older kids, but they didn't know what a swan was and couldn't remember who says, "Cock-a-doodle doo." (I was just looking for a short book to finish off the PJ Story Time and this was perfect.)
Vicki
This was a really sweet one to read with the kids -- lots of opportunities for them to make the bird noises along with the reading and just enough guessing for them without getting obtuse. Tafuri is always a surefire winner!
Leah
This simple story with Tafuri's wonderful illustrations invites children to chime in with duck, goose, bird, and chicken noises. Simple enough to try with toddlers and babies, but probably best suited for preschoolers.
Kristen
Nancy Tafuri seems to be great for baby story time, and this was no exception. It's a fairly standard picture book theme, but one that is enjoyable and relatable nonetheless.
Kim
Jul 26, 2011 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: laptime
I like this better than "Have you seen my duckling?" for storytime because it isn't quite so repetitive and you get to make a variety of sounds for it.
Gail
Not a big hit with my two year old. She never asked for it to be read after the first time.
Kristie
Lots of animal sounds are presented. Text is large, prominent, and curvy.
Lawanda Rock
My daughter's favorite book for a long time!
Laura Madsen
Sweet bedtime story.
Annah Chikohomero
Annah Chikohomero marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Manimozhi Gopal
Manimozhi Gopal marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Kei'annea Harris
Kei'annea Harris marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Manijeh
Manijeh marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
  • The Baby Goes Beep
  • I Kissed the Baby!
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • All of Baby, Nose to Toes
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • Up, Down, and Around
  • Cows in the Kitchen
  • Little Mouse's Big Secret
  • Hurry! Hurry!
  • My Heart Is Like a Zoo
Nancy Tafuri is probably best known as the creator of Have You Seen My Duckling?, a 1985 Caldecott Honor Book described by Parent’s Choice as “beautifully precise yet emotionally affecting.” Trained as a graphic designer, Tafuri has authored more than 45 books over 30 years for the very young.

When Tafuri first attempted picture book illustration in the late 1970’s picture books were aimed at five-...more
More about Nancy Tafuri...
Have You Seen My Duckling? The Busy Little Squirrel Blue Goose All Kinds of Kisses I Love You, Little One