Start by marking “Whose Chick Are You?” as Want to Read:

Tap!

Peck!

Crack!

Pop!

A chick hatches out of its egg, but who does it belong to? No one seems to know—not Goose (Honk!), not Duck (Quack!), not Hen (Cluck!), not Bird (Chirp!). Not even Little Chick (croo? croo?).

But Little Chick's parents know, and—as sharp observers will delight in noting—they've been swimming nearby all along.
Published January 23rd 2007 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Whose Chick Are You?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whose Chick Are You?

Jess Brown
When different types of birds discover an egg, they all begin asking whose chick is inside. The baby is eventually discovered to be a little swan. Great use of animal sounds would make this one a great read aloud at home or in a group setting.
Denise
May 19, 2008 Denise rated it really liked it
This is a very simple book that would be great for toddlers. Children would love to do all the animal noises and the illustrations are vibrant.
Jen

I really liked this book. The story was simple, the words few and easy to understand. The illustrations were nice and I liked how the swans were shown in the water, never far from their egg, when the others were investigating it. I think this would be a good book to introduce young children to the joys of reading and to the sounds a few animals make. My only complaint about the book was that it was hard to distinguish the goose from the duck in a few of the illustrations, and the chic
Heidi-Marie
I need some toddler books, and this should do the trick! Easy animal sounds for the children to mimic. And some guessing for the older ones in the group, too. Few words. Large pictures with good color. I think it will work!

6/29/10 & 7/1/10 Not bad. I made this into an activity where we matched up pictures of the baby birds with their various mothers. It kept focus and interest and passed time, too. Plus, it FELT like it was educational. Not sure if it was! :-)
Christine Turner
Mar 14, 2009 Christine Turner rated it it was amazing
A chick hatches out of its egg, but who does it belong to? No one seems to know-not Goose (Honk!), not Duck (Quack!), not Hen (Cluck!), not Bird (Chirp!). Not even Little Chick (croo? croo?).
But Little Chick's parents know, and-as sharp observers will delight in noting-they've been swimming nearby all along.

Subject: Mother and child -- Juvenile fiction
Eggs -- Juvenile fiction.
Swans -- Juvenile fiction.
Birds -- Juvenile fiction
Susan
Sep 22, 2008 Susan rated it liked it
Just right for storytime for the younger set. There are a lot of egg/duck/chicken/who am I stories out there and for good reason - children love to be reassured that everybody belongs to somebody. The art is wide on the page, gentle to the eye, and perfect for sharing with a group of toddlers. Swans, always magical, add a special touch to the story.
June
Apr 11, 2016 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: librarians, parents & preschool teachers
I thought that this would be too simple for the older kids, but they didn't know what a swan was and couldn't remember who says, "Cock-a-doodle doo." (I was just looking for a short book to finish off the PJ Story Time and this was perfect.) 4/10/12

Used for Lap Time as the first book and they enjoyed the sounds.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Four different birds discover a hatching egg. Who will claim their new baby chick? Soon another bird family comes and claims their new baby. Large illustrations with big print makes this a great book to share at family storytime. The birds included in this book are goose, bird (sparrow), duck, hen, and swan.

2015 Storytime Theme: Birds

Reviewed from a library copy.
Melanie
An egg is left alone and the surrounding birds try to figure out whose egg it is. While they're watching it, the egg hatches. Out comes an unusual looking chick. No one knows who's it is. A beautiful swan joins the crowd. She knows who's chick this is.
Stephanie
I had to rate this one high because Caleb actually laughed at this book. Every time I made the different bird noises, he cracked up! He typically doesn't react much to books, but now he may be getting old enough to enjoy them. We'll definitely have to get a copy of this one for his bookshelf!
Vicki
Sep 08, 2011 Vicki rated it it was amazing
This was a really sweet one to read with the kids -- lots of opportunities for them to make the bird noises along with the reading and just enough guessing for them without getting obtuse. Tafuri is always a surefire winner!
Katie Fitzgerald
Apr 11, 2011 Katie Fitzgerald rated it really liked it
Read at Chicks & Bunnies Story Time on 4/9/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at MOPS Story Time on 4/1/15: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Maggie
Aug 05, 2015 Maggie rated it liked it
Shelves: 577-the-list
The hunt is one to find the owner of the baby egg and chick! Cute cute with little popping peeping sounds all over. Pretty illustrations as each of the grown up birds investigates the little chick until she finds her kind.
Olivia Warren
Feb 01, 2017 Olivia Warren rated it did not like it
An adorable tale about a baby chick whom no one knows who they belong to. With cute illustrations, and animal noises to impersonate, this read would be pleasing to younger children who are just beginning to he read to.
Leah
This simple story with Tafuri's wonderful illustrations invites children to chime in with duck, goose, bird, and chicken noises. Simple enough to try with toddlers and babies, but probably best suited for preschoolers.
Clarissa
Mar 17, 2014 Clarissa rated it liked it
Nancy Tafuri is always great to read to very young children!

A sweet simple book about eggs hatching.
Caity
Jul 26, 2016 Caity rated it liked it
This is a sweet little book with nicely done illustrations.
Kristie
Oct 02, 2008 Kristie rated it really liked it
Lots of animal sounds are presented. Text is large, prominent, and curvy.
Andria
Apr 08, 2014 Andria rated it really liked it
This one is a really good one as the kids can help with some of the lines as I read it aloud.
Kristen
Jan 31, 2013 Kristen rated it liked it
Nancy Tafuri seems to be great for baby story time, and this was no exception. It's a fairly standard picture book theme, but one that is enjoyable and relatable nonetheless.
Andrea
Aug 18, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it
So cute, my daughter loves this book.
Karen
May 12, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
This is a super-sweet book that encourages young listeners to make bird noises. The story is simple enough, but the illustrations are amazingly beautiful.

Gail
Dec 24, 2009 Gail rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
Not a big hit with my two year old. She never asked for it to be read after the first time.
Laura Madsen
Mar 02, 2012 Laura Madsen rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet bedtime story.
Elizabeth
Mar 28, 2016 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytimes, 2016
Part of my spring storytime. Great guessing game for the kids.
Mary
May 29, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing
Ducks, geese, chickens and swans ask the newly hatched baby, "Whose chick are you?" The mother swan identifies her baby. Pre-K springtime read aloud. Also Mother's Day tie-in.
Vicki
Sep 24, 2015 Vicki rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of all Nancy Tafuri books. Absolutely wonderful illustrations which seem very real with animals, bugs and more. A nice story about birds that live near the pond.
Lawanda
Feb 02, 2013 Lawanda rated it it was amazing
My daughter's favorite book for a long time!
Kim
Jul 26, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: laptime
I like this better than "Have you seen my duckling?" for storytime because it isn't quite so repetitive and you get to make a variety of sounds for it.
  • Clip-Clop
  • A Good Day
  • I Love Bugs!
  • Posy
  • A Kiss Means I Love You
Nancy Tafuri is probably best known as the creator of Have You Seen My Duckling?, a 1985 Caldecott Honor Book described by Parent’s Choice as “beautifully precise yet emotionally affecting.” Trained as a graphic designer, Tafuri has authored more than 45 books over 30 years for the very young.

When Tafuri first attempted picture book illustration in the late 1970’s picture books were aimed at five-
More about Nancy Tafuri...