Start by marking “The Ordeal of Richard Feverel” as Want to Read:
The Ordeal of Richard Feverel

The Ordeal of Richard Feverel (Richard Feverel #1-5)

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  162 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Of all nineteenth-century English novels, " claims Edward Mendelson in his Introduction to this edition, "The Ordeal of Richard Feverel is the most self-consciously literary in its style and structure and the most sexually explicit in its plot and theme." First published in 1859, Meredith's first and most controversial novel concerns Sir Austin Feverel's misconceived attem ...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Penguin Classics (first published 1859)

To ask other readers questions about The Ordeal of Richard Feverel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ordeal of Richard Feverel

Teresa
Jul 15, 2016 Teresa rated it really liked it
I think this book would appeal to those who read 19th-century fiction but would also enjoy some modernity to go along with it. Just when you think Meredith is writing a stock 19th-century character or a 'typical' plot line, he turns it on its head. Honor, romantic notions and pride are skewered. The only characters with any common sense who actually get things done are an earthy landlady and a nephew of Lord Feverel, one who has married a housemaid and actually works at something useful.

There is
Lisa
Mar 26, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Yahoo C19th group
Shelves: kindle, c19th, britain
If you enjoy 19th century irony as I do, you will enjoy The Ordeal of Richard Feverel (1859) immensely! This novel was a recent choice by the Yahoo 19th Century Lit group, and I don’t know why it isn’t more widely read by lovers of the classics because much of it is hilarious.

The ordeal that young Richard must endure is the System of Education devised for him by his father, Sir Austin Feverel. His plan is that the boy should grow up happy and self-confident by being secluded from all pernicious
Yngvild
May 22, 2010 Yngvild rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature
Some books are simply impossible to pigeonhole, although sensational, psychological, socially critical Bildungsroman pretty much covers the waterfront of The Ordeal of Richard Feverel: A History of a Father and Son. George Meredith’s most successful early novel is this exquisite dissection of the smug, self-important Victorian propertied classes. The running gag in the book is a series of fatuous aphorisms nicely mirroring the mindless culture that tries to run its life by slogans.

The surprise c
Myles
Here is a novel that changes almost every conception I had about what was being written in the mid-19th century. In college I took several literature courses, but only as a sideline, choosing to focus on history. If I had, I would be furious I hadn’t been given this book already. As it is I can imagine that The Ordeal of Richard Feverel had been a part of a general lit survey I hadn’t taken; that it wasn’t mentioned in my electives because, as a matter of course, we would already have been intro ...more
Tony
Mar 23, 2012 Tony rated it really liked it
THE ORDEAL OF RICHARD FEVEREL. (1859). George Meredith. ****.
I’ll say right off that I found this a difficult novel to read. It’s structure was dense, with an initial offering of a large cast of characters that ultimately disappears, but is resurrected again in subsequent parts of the story. I was surprised to learn that the novel was suppressed (though not banned in the usual sense of the word – simply not advertised by the lending libraries of the day) upon its publication. The reason was tha
Rosemary
Jul 12, 2016 Rosemary rated it liked it
More people should read George Meredith. This is insightful, witty, and compassionate writing. But with Meredith's novels the language is so interestingly ironic and literary that it feels like you're looking through several different lenses onto the action or particular characters. It makes for a slow read.
Wanda
Jan 26, 2016 Wanda marked it as to-read
Recommended to Wanda by: Karen Legge
Karen
Jul 16, 2016 Karen marked it as to-read
* 1000 novels everyone must read: the definitive list: Family and Self

Selected by the Guardian's Review team and a panel of expert judges, this list includes only novels – no memoirs, no short stories, no long poems – from any decade and in any language. Originally published in thematic supplements – love, crime, comedy, family and self, state of the nation, science fiction and fantasy, war and travel – they appear here for the first time.
Ange
Aug 10, 2012 Ange marked it as to-read
This book was mentioned in A Life of Letter of Arthur Conan Doyle. Oscar Wilde exclaimed "Ah, Meredith! Who can define him? His syle is chaos illumined by flashes of lightning."
Dushan Milinovich
Ehhh..easy to put down. Fun prose!
Simon
Dec 18, 2009 Simon marked it as unfinished
I'm giving up on this one.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Rolyath
Rolyath marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Jennifer Covington
Jennifer Covington rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Vyvyan
Vyvyan marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Fred Steele
Fred Steele marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Kev
Kev marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Gabrielė
Gabrielė marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Leslie Smith
Leslie Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Tricia
Tricia marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Priyanka Gupta
Priyanka Gupta marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Alastair Kemp
Alastair Kemp marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Susan Thompson
Susan Thompson rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Carrie D
Carrie D marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Manoel Alves
Manoel Alves marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Byron
Byron marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Eleri
Eleri marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
  • The Unfortunates
  • A Legacy
  • Pointed Roofs
  • Invitation to the Waltz
George Meredith was an English novelist and poet during the Victorian era. He read law and was articled as a solicitor, but abandoned that profession for journalism and poetry shortly after marrying Mary Ellen Nicolls, a widowed daughter of Thomas Love Peacock, in 1849. He was twenty-one years old; she was thirty.

He collected his early writings, first published in periodicals, into Poems, which wa
More about George Meredith...

Richard Feverel (3 books)
  • Ordeal of Richard Feverel - Volume 4