Start by marking “BOOM: Oil, Money, Cowboys, Strippers, and the Energy Rush That Could Change America Forever. A Long, Strange Journey Along the Keystone XL Pipeline (Kindle Single)” as Want to Read:

A ROLLICKING STORY ABOUT LIFE ALONG THE CONTROVERSIAL KEYSTONE XL PIPELINE, BY THE PULITZER PRIZE–WINNING AUTHOR OF CONFEDERATES IN THE ATTIC

In this lively story, evocative of bestselling road-trip classics such as William Least Heat Moon’s “Blue Highways” and Bill Bryson’s “The Lost Continent,” Pulitzer Prize–winning author Tony Horwitz takes an epic journey along one of
Published January 31st 2014 by Byliner Inc.

To ask other readers questions about BOOM, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about BOOM

Amber
Oct 29, 2015 Amber rated it really liked it
Horowitz tackled the Keystone pipeline with his method-acting approach to journalism: reporting on the controversial topic by living in the midst of it. The result is a balanced report that shows the human side of the topic and offers no easy solutions or firm conclusions. I wish more authors/journalists would write like this: compelling, intelligent coverage contained to 100 pages so you get the depth you need to understand without excess. Certainly the world needs longer books too, but I'd be ...more
Judd Peroli
Mar 16, 2014 Judd Peroli rated it it was amazing
Refreshing insight

This is a good read for anybody who wishes to gain some knowledge and understanding of the Keystone XL pipeline, but is tired of the hyperbole of media coverage.

Horwitz gives a mostly neutral outlook on the project and tries to see the good of both sides. I found it refreshingly non-partisan, which is rare when covering this topic. The political landscape would benefit from more with this sort of outlook.
Clifton
Sep 22, 2015 Clifton rated it really liked it
Horwitz does not write memoirs. The man is a journalist (and an award winning one too): research, travel, interview, write...he's an observer only. And this book's the nonfiction equivalent of a novella, but it is perfect. He's not ranting about the Keystone XL pipeline. He's not going without fossil fuels for a year. He's just reporting with nuance/thought. It's not a book for people who have made up their minds; it's a book for people who want to learn. I did.
Bjørn Stærk
Nov 06, 2016 Bjørn Stærk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent work of journalism from the proposed path of the Keystone XL pipeline, all the small towns it would affect, and the people who support and oppose it. The XL seems dead at the moment, after it was rejected by Obama in 2015, but this story is relevant to all such projects, and connects to two of the largest issues of our time: The dilemmas of attaching your town to a boom/bust industry, and the conflict between money and climate. Horwitz sides with the latter, and approvingly quotes ...more
Tim
Oct 31, 2016 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story about the people surrounding the Keystone XL.
E. Ozols
Nov 16, 2014 E. Ozols rated it it was amazing
Wow.

This is only my second book by Tony Horowitz, but he is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. He has an amazing ability to capture people's essence to tell a story, allowing the "characters" to speak for themselves. I knew very little about the Keystone XL Pipeline before reading this, but Horowitz does a great job explaining it from an often-overlooked yet important viewpoint: that of the people who actually have to live with it in their own backyard. I think he did a particularly go
Janette Fuller
Sep 10, 2014 Janette Fuller rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Mr. Horwitz traveled the entire length of TransCanada's Keystone XL Pipeline and reported on the people, places and events that he encountered.

The journey began in Fort McMurray (Alberta, Canada)with a desire to explore the oil sands. Mr. Horwitz interviewed oil field workers, truckers, managers and local people who have lived in the area for many years. The author was interested in meeting people who promoted the pipeline as well as environmentalist who were vehemently against it. The book is i
Sam Sattler
Oct 03, 2014 Sam Sattler rated it liked it
Shelves: politics, business
"Boom" is a sometimes interesting look at the politics and people behind the much maligned Keystone Pipeline that is still, after five years, not approved by the U.S. government. The pipeline has become little more than a political football that is likely to be kicked around for at least as long as the current president remains in office.

In the meantime, oil producers in Canada and the American West are forced to use means of transportation for their oil (rail and trucks) that are more risky to
Crystal
Aug 20, 2016 Crystal rated it really liked it
This is a brief but interesting and enjoyable trip with Tony Horwitz along the proposed route of the KXL pipeline, from its source in Canada, down to the counties in Nebraska fighting it ferociously. I can't remember if Horwitz explained why he didn't follow the route the whole way south. I think the story would have been more complete that way. However, as it was, he almost didn't finish on time (which seems to be a common theme in his travel narratives).
Catching glimpses of life in the places
John
Sep 21, 2014 John added it
First, I love Horwitz's writing, and this is no let down . . .except for the fact that it's an extended article on a subject I think he could have really run with (although, it's a subject, fracking, that's momentary spotlighted in the news, and devastating our landscape, I don't know if it worthy of a Horwitz complete book. I found this through Horwitz's enlightening and must read article in the Times about contemporary publishing, (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/20/opi...) Amazon, and what hap ...more
Ashley
Jul 20, 2014 Ashley rated it really liked it
I'll read anything Horwitz writes-- he's excellent at capturing American voices and the American landscape. "BOOM" is no exception. While this book probably won't change your mind about the XL pipeline, it will add nuance and complexity to the arguments for and against the pipeline. I especially appreciated that Horwitz points out how and when political labels breakdown. His account of anti XL activists complicates the accepted understandings of Midwesterners as caring only for God, guns, and ...more
Createpei
Jun 27, 2014 Createpei rated it it was ok
Shelves: work-jobs, economics
Crappy title - ok book. This book read like a long magazine article without the pictures (which really would have been a nice addition). Worth the cost on Amazon Kindle.

The story was fun at times, kept your attention, and never really took a position.

A story about possibly one of the biggest cross border projects between Canada and the United States.

My only negative comments would be that the author seemed to take urban-rural pokes several times throughout the book at small communities, through
Trey Palmer
May 01, 2014 Trey Palmer rated it liked it
The author follows the existing and proposed route of the Keystone XL pipeline from Alberta to Nebraska, interviewing folks on both sides of the issue on the present and future effects of the project. A quick read, it probably won't change your mind about much of anything, but it does present a snapshot of the lives of some of the folks affected and the midwestern milieu through which the pipeline travels. Moderately entertaining. I liked his book retracing the voyages of Captain Cook (Blue ...more
Allene Kind
Interesting read that has me thinking

Short read that is admitted written by a liberal in opposition to the Keystone XL pipeline. He makes no apologies about his feelings and thoughts. But he also clearly states the opinions of others and makes no judgements. Balanced in that way. He definitely let's one decide for themselves. Also a unique narrative about the people he met along the route.
Jessica
Jun 25, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
I do still prefer paper books but in his delightful case -I read a Tony Horwitz tweet on Twitter that lead me to an online version of his New York Times rant about the perils of electronic publishing that led me to an online source where I purchased a kindle version of Boom. Fun book and informative and I never touched paper - no paper book, no paper money.
Larry Vanzalen
Jun 08, 2015 Larry Vanzalen rated it it was amazing
This another wonderful book by Horwitz. BOOM answered many of the questions I've had about the proposed Keystone XL Pipe line. Along with interesting anecdotal stories of characters he met along the way, this book is greatly entertaining as well as informative. This is the second of his books that I've read and I am looking forward to reading more of his work!
Rezlaw
Jan 15, 2015 Rezlaw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Readable story of XL pipeline and the debates about energy development in general

Good account of the various impacts and perspectives on the XL pipeline. Told without yelling or vitriol. Although the story focuses on the XL, it's a reflection of the energy debate playing out all over the nation. Easy to read and understand.
Jerry Chen
Nov 29, 2014 Jerry Chen rated it really liked it
Horwitz does a good job of reaching out to people on both sides of the KXL debate. The conventional thought that it is a simple Republican vs. Democratic issue is challenged as the different lifestyles and incentives of the people he meets are examined. It is a good read, and highlights the more human aspects of the debate.
Shanna
Aug 10, 2014 Shanna rated it it was amazing
Excellent! A great presentation of many of the perspectives on the Keystone XL Pipeline. Regardless of the political outcome, I I feel more optimism when I consider the issues involved - thanks to this book.
Rich Grimshaw
May 03, 2015 Rich Grimshaw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Story Telling and Perspective

Mr. Horowitz puts a lot of faces on the issues of building the XL- faces that we won't otherwise see. And he gave me an appreciation for the people behind the faces, and their thoughts on how this project affects them.
Nancy
Feb 11, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it
This is the first book i have read of tony horwitz. I hope to read all of them. He is a great teller of the stories of folks he meets. He then mixes those stories with a grasp of history and facts.
Alberto Laverán
Just OK

I found the book very easy to read and quite enterteining, how ever, the central message was lighty approached. Not the best book, but a good company on a 4 hours flight
Christine Negroni
Nov 25, 2016 Christine Negroni rated it it was amazing
A fascinating read in signature Horwitz style, funny, arch and insightful. It's long-form journalism or a short form book and definitely worth the time it will take you to digest it.
Peter Pecksen
Mar 13, 2014 Peter Pecksen rated it really liked it
A fun quick read that gives a fairly unbiased account of the views of people along the proposed Keystone XL Pipeline.
Val
This is a"get your toes wet on the topic" kinda read. I really like the author's other works and this book is written in much the same style.
Zach
Zach rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2016
Paul Garrigue,Jr.
Paul Garrigue,Jr. rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2014
mick friedberg
mick friedberg rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2015
Martin Brockel
Martin Brockel rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2015
Ted
Ted rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
BOOM and Keystone XL pipeline 3 12 Jul 21, 2014 05:52PM
  • The Secret World of Saints: Inside the Catholic Church and the Mysterious Process of Anointing the Holy Dead
  • Blood on the Tracks
  • The Saint
  • Generation Rx: How Prescription Drugs Are Altering American Lives, Minds, and Bodies
  • Beirut, I Love You: A Memoir
  • Churchill in the Trenches (Kindle Single)
  • Island in a Storm: A Rising Sea, a Vanishing Coast, and a Nineteenth-Century Disaster that Warns of a Warmer World
  • The Syrian Rebellion
  • Cooking Solves Everything: How Time in the Kitchen Can Save Your Health, Your Budget, and Even the Planet
  • And Home Was Kariakoo: A Memoir of East Africa
  • Looking for Transwonderland: Travels in Nigeria
  • Baby Meets World: Suck, Smile, Touch, Toddle: A Journey Through Infancy
  • Timbuctoo
  • Final Vision: The Last Word on Jeffrey MacDonald
  • Motherhood Smotherhood: Fighting Back Against the Lactivists, Mompetitions, Germophobes, and So-Called Experts Who Are Driving Us Crazy
  • Jasmine and Fire: A Bittersweet Year in Beirut
  • Bringing in Finn: An Extraordinary Surrogacy Story
  • Beethoven's Shadow (Kindle Single)
Date of Birth: 1958

Tony Horwitz is an American journalist and writer. His works include Blue Latitudes, One for the Road, Confederates In The Attic and Baghdad Without A Map. His most recent work, published in April 2008, is A Voyage Long and Strange: Rediscovering the New World, a history and travelogue dealing with the early European exploration of North America.
More about Tony Horwitz...

“Van Laar wasn’t a climate change denier, nor did he talk defensively of the United States’ appetite for oil. Rather, he confessed, “I don’t give much of a fuck, and nobody I know does, either, because this industry is giving me a future, even if it’s a short one and we’re all about to toast together.” 0 likes
“eight storage tanks were” 0 likes