Start by marking “Deep in the Green: An Exploration of Country Pleasures” as Want to Read:
Deep in the Green: An Exploration of Country Pleasures

Deep in the Green: An Exploration of Country Pleasures

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  76 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
As gardening columnist for The New York Times, Anne Raver is one of our foremost authorities on making things grow. Even non-gardeners will find this book of essays a source of profound pleasure, for Raver is a writer who transcends her subject even as she illuminates it, writing with such passion, wisdom and stylishmess that her book will enchant anyone who reads it.
Published April 30th 1996 by Vintage (first published May 30th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Deep in the Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep in the Green

Kate
Dec 30, 2011 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The first gathering of garden talk from the widely admired New York Times garden columnist Anne Raver.

"She eulogizes the great trees that were once home to the gods.

"She evokes the joy of digging up one's own leeks and potatoes.

"She give us the lowdown on crickets.

"She swears by a miraculous skin cream -- created for use on cow udders.

"She remembers a Thanksgiving reunion at the family farm, which was built by her great-grandfather ('The house of our childhood is an aging soul, with wheezing pi
Kelly
Jul 01, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it
Reading Raver's book was like taking a country slow walk through a friend's garden while sitting in the comfort of my home. I thought the chapters could be read in any order. Some, though, tended to stray into the folksy genre. I preferred the chapters where she revealed a little of her personal story: They seemed more authentic.

Faye Snyder
Just what I needed to get into Spring!This book had been setting on my gardening book shelf for, probably, 20 years. I was looking for something else, when I spied this volume and wondered what it was about. As I read, I discovered that a large portion of it takes place in familiar territory, Maryland's Frederick and Carroll counties! Familiar joys and challenges which made me appreciate it and Anne Raver's words of gardening wisdom even more! Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Brenda
Jul 10, 2015 Brenda rated it it was amazing
This book will inspire you to grow things. It's wonderful for those of you who love gardening and go outside like it's therapy.
Sandie
Mar 19, 2014 Sandie rated it it was amazing
Lovely humorous stories - wonderful storyteller if you enjoy nature and gardening.
Karen
May 31, 2012 Karen rated it liked it
I'm not a huge fan of Raver's writing style. In my opinion, she thinks she's a lot more witty than she actually comes off as on paper. Having said that, I do like my garden, and I like her general garden vibe. She has an obvious love of plants and gardening that I can appreciate, though at times she does seem to border on obsessive.

If you're not into gardening, defintely don't reommend this one.
Mattalie Mcinerney
Jan 26, 2013 Mattalie Mcinerney rated it liked it
Some tender gems in this collection of essays on life and gardening. (Also many practical tips.)Like many essay collections, it suffers a bit from the frequent transitions and maybe the organization as well. Overall though, Raver offers much worthy food for thought about topics ranging from pesticide use to pets, romance, food, family relationships, and aging.
Carol
May 02, 2012 Carol rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
I have read this book a couple times before...must have been prior to goodreads. First time entering it. She is an awesome writer. I know she moved to her family farm in Maryland but could not find a blog of hers. It would be nice to know what she is doing now. Oh. This is a collection of her New York Times gardening articles. Fun and informative!
Lisa Schwantes
Mar 10, 2015 Lisa Schwantes rated it it was amazing
A columnist for the New York Times, Raver’s short anecdotes are an “exploration of country pleasures.” Some of her gardening stories are written with witty humor and others with enchanting poignancy. The collection will make you want to put your fingers into the dirt.
Erica
Jul 12, 2014 Erica rated it really liked it
Love this book. Refreshing, thoughtful and warm chapters on gardening, love of the environment, family, the power of women and cricket poop. Delightful read. Like chatting with friend over wine and home made crusty bread slathered with rich buttery memories.
William
Apr 30, 2009 William rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Includes some interesting anecdotes.

More about sadness than humor.

I think it would be a very good book for a different audience than myself.
Kate
Mar 31, 2008 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: garden
This was a second reading--less pleasurable than the first time but a few of the essays are great.
Karen Floyd
Oct 12, 2011 Karen Floyd rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
Anne was good company. I wonder what she and her family decided to do with the family farm....
Christine
Oct 23, 2009 Christine rated it really liked it
A series of gardening essays and how gardening relates to the human condition.
John
Feb 20, 2011 John added it
Essays on life, loosely connected to gardening.
Tina
Mar 23, 2009 Tina rated it liked it
fun read for a gardener
Janeen Bates
Janeen Bates rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Gillian
Gillian marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Emilu
Emilu marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Jude
Jude rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Sunmoonlake
Sunmoonlake marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Beebster
Beebster marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Irene
Irene rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Wistful Reader
Wistful Reader marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Peg Schoenfelder
Peg Schoenfelder marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

“A garden is like the self. It has so many layers and winding paths, real or imagined, that it can never be known, completely, even by the most intimate of friends.” 0 likes