Deep in the Green: An Exploration of Country Pleasures

Deep in the Green: An Exploration of Country Pleasures

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  12 reviews
As gardening columnist for The New York Times, Anne Raver is one of our foremost authorities on making things grow. Even non-gardeners will find this book of essays a source of profound pleasure, for Raver is a writer who transcends her subject even as she illuminates it, writing with such passion, wisdom and stylishmess that her book will enchant anyone who reads it.
Published April 30th 1996 by Vintage (first published May 30th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Deep in the Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep in the Green

Kate
"The first gathering of garden talk from the widely admired New York Times garden columnist Anne Raver.

"She eulogizes the great trees that were once home to the gods.

"She evokes the joy of digging up one's own leeks and potatoes.

"She give us the lowdown on crickets.

"She swears by a miraculous skin cream -- created for use on cow udders.

"She remembers a Thanksgiving reunion at the family farm, which was built by her great-grandfather ('The house of our childhood is an aging soul, with wheezing pi...more
Sandie
Lovely humorous stories - wonderful storyteller if you enjoy nature and gardening.
Karen
I'm not a huge fan of Raver's writing style. In my opinion, she thinks she's a lot more witty than she actually comes off as on paper. Having said that, I do like my garden, and I like her general garden vibe. She has an obvious love of plants and gardening that I can appreciate, though at times she does seem to border on obsessive.

If you're not into gardening, defintely don't reommend this one.
Mattalie Mcinerney
Some tender gems in this collection of essays on life and gardening. (Also many practical tips.)Like many essay collections, it suffers a bit from the frequent transitions and maybe the organization as well. Overall though, Raver offers much worthy food for thought about topics ranging from pesticide use to pets, romance, food, family relationships, and aging.
Carol
May 02, 2012 Carol rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I have read this book a couple times before...must have been prior to goodreads. First time entering it. She is an awesome writer. I know she moved to her family farm in Maryland but could not find a blog of hers. It would be nice to know what she is doing now. Oh. This is a collection of her New York Times gardening articles. Fun and informative!
Erica
Love this book. Refreshing, thoughtful and warm chapters on gardening, love of the environment, family, the power of women and cricket poop. Delightful read. Like chatting with friend over wine and home made crusty bread slathered with rich buttery memories.
William
Includes some interesting anecdotes.

More about sadness than humor.

I think it would be a very good book for a different audience than myself.
Kate
Mar 31, 2008 Kate rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: garden
This was a second reading--less pleasurable than the first time but a few of the essays are great.
Karen Floyd
Anne was good company. I wonder what she and her family decided to do with the family farm....
Christine
A series of gardening essays and how gardening relates to the human condition.
John
Feb 20, 2011 John added it
Essays on life, loosely connected to gardening.
Tina
fun read for a gardener
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Cindy
Cindy added it
Jul 24, 2014
Tweedledum
Tweedledum marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Cindy Howe
Cindy Howe marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2013
Grettel
Grettel marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2013
None
None marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Gourmet Vegetables: Smart Tips and Tasty Picks for Gardeners and Gourmet Cooks The Writer in the Garden The Private Oasis: The Living Landscape

“A garden is like the self. It has so many layers and winding paths, real or imagined, that it can never be known, completely, even by the most intimate of friends.” 0 likes